Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2007, 19:59   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
It works guys.. i tried on my Zen ( there was coconut fall on my car ) tried with Normal Ice as could not get Dry Ice , I kept Normal ice everyday for 3 days and it worked ! Noticabale diffrence,,,, Need to apply more Ice
Huh!!! You are applying normal ice on your car's wounds? Somehow reminds me of my kiddy days when i used to get a ding in the head and had a swollen head. Mom used to apply ice on that are to reduce the swelling. It almost sounds similar. haa haa haaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
If its so, then the cars in places of extreme snowfall will become dentless if its parked with a snow cover for a few days ???
Please explain.

but as condor says... possibly the whole idea works if there is a remarkable difference in the surrounding temperature and the affected area.

Ok, here is an attempt to explain it. What happens when you rapidly cool most material? It shrinks. Conversely heating it up will make it expand. Now imagine a metal surface which has a shallow dent. More like a concave surface. Now when the area is rapidly cooled the metal tries to shrink and that pulls it back into shape. Hmmm... sounds possible.

Last edited by Zappo : 10th December 2007 at 20:05.
Old 13th December 2007, 18:27   #47
BHPian

Hey can someone tell me where can i get dry ice in hyderabad- preferbly in and around mehdipatnam- i searched but couldnot find any ice parlour as such.There are a few icecream shops though, will ask them. I want to see if this works for small bonnet and door dents on my m800.
Old 14th December 2007, 09:31   #48
BANNED

Guys,

As could not get DRY Ice, Tried 1 more thing, made ICE of water + Salt so temp went down and it worked well ( in comparison to normal ICE )
Old 18th December 2007, 08:59   #49
BHPian

nicejits, please tell us whether your dent was accompanied with scratch when the cocunut fell?
And how did your treatment result in terms of rusting? Did this harm your paint? How long did you have to apply the ice/salt combo and for how many days?
Old 18th December 2007, 09:48   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

@Arunkumar_rec, the ice-salt combo is ice using a combination of salt & water. Ref nicejits' post above.

Rust will take more time than 4 days to show up. You will need to wait to know the answer to that part, if there was a scratch in the paint
Old 18th December 2007, 09:52   #51
BHPian

@condor, I am sorry. Now I understood that he made Ice using water mixed with salt. Yeah as you said, we need to wait for the rust to show up in case there was a damage to the paint. As the salt water will be a boost for the rusting process.
Old 18th December 2007, 13:37   #52
BANNED

Guys, paint on my car is not damnage, and i have not kept ICE for contineous
Old 18th December 2007, 13:40   #53
BHPian

@nicejits, please clarify the below points
1. Did you apply the ice (made out of water mixed with salt) directly on the dent (or) you covered it with something while applying on the dent?
2. Application is for what time duration? Is it 5 minutes,10 minutes ??
3. How many days you repeated this therapy?
Thanks.
Arun
Old 18th December 2007, 14:25   #54
BHPian

Found one more method for dent removal.
The Plunger Method
This method works the best on dents with some size to them, especially so if the dent has no "crease" in the middle. It's a simple method that is worth a try, as it really won't cause any additional damage (you might even be able to remove the dent before your spouse ever knows it was there!).
  1. Clean up the bathroom plunger, or buy yourself a new one.
  2. Place the plunger over the dent. Pump the plunger a few times to create suction.
  3. With suction achieved, pull firmly on the plunger over the dent. With a little luck and elbow grease, the dent should pull right out.
If the dent is not of some size, this method is not likely to work.

I will try out this method for the small dent in my car door and let you know if it works.
Old 18th December 2007, 15:23   #55
BANNED

My Replies :

1. Did you apply the ice (made out of water mixed with salt) directly on the dent (or) you covered it with something while applying on the dent?

: Directly applied, Kept towel on teh ICE as it was falling down ( my dent is on corner of roof)

2. Application is for what time duration? Is it 5 minutes,10 minutes ??
: Till teh time ICe gets melt ( ICE was there for 30 min )

3. How many days you repeated this therapy?
: Only 1ce in a day ( In night time, after reaching to home from office say at 8.45pm )

Thanks.
JItendra
Old 27th January 2008, 14:36   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

This seems too good to be true. Has anyone tried it out with Dry Ice? The paint might get affected due to the chemical composition of dry ice
Old 11th February 2008, 17:25   #57
BHPian

Dry Ice - Availability in Bbay.??

Hi Folks,

Anyone know of a place in Bbay (preferebly around Bandra ) to procure some dry-ice please.

Need it for some touch-up thats required.

Looking forward.
Old 11th February 2008, 18:30   #58
Senior - BHPian

Source for dry ice.

most of the hotels require dry ice. if you can contact the guys who take care of f&b services would be knowing it. i will also enquire with my cousin after two days.

raj
Old 23rd February 2008, 20:28   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumar_rec View Post
Found one more method for dent removal.
The Plunger Method
This method works the best on dents with some size to them, especially so if the dent has no "crease" in the middle. It's a simple method that is worth a try, as it really won't cause any additional damage (you might even be able to remove the dent before your spouse ever knows it was there!).
  1. Clean up the bathroom plunger, or buy yourself a new one.
  2. Place the plunger over the dent. Pump the plunger a few times to create suction.
  3. With suction achieved, pull firmly on the plunger over the dent. With a little luck and elbow grease, the dent should pull right out.
If the dent is not of some size, this method is not likely to work.

I will try out this method for the small dent in my car door and let you know if it works.
Hey Arun, Any Updates?
Old 23rd February 2008, 21:11   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post
Hi Folks,

Anyone know of a place in Bbay (preferebly around Bandra ) to procure some dry-ice please.
Go to any of the natural ice cream outlet and buy a tub of ice cream. Ask them to pack it in dry ice - they will do that if you tell them that it would take you a couple of hours to reach home. Enjoy the ice cream and get rid of the dent - would be good if you can post pictures of "before" and "after"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks