Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2008, 23:23   #76
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

This dry ice technique is not some wonder-drug! It will NOT work for all types of dents.

IMO The cases when it will work are in situations where the dent is such that if you could stick your hand behind the bodywork and push with a little force it would pop straight out and return to the normal position. Dry ice just enables you to do that without the need to push from behind the dent.
Suction is another method to fix these dents as V-16 has mentioned.

Eg. You know sometimes if you are leaning on the side of a car and the panel goes in with a dhupuk sound, and you move away and it pops back out. The dry ice would probably help for that if it didnt pop back out on its own. It works only on dents where a convex body-panel has been dented to be concave.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd May 2008 at 23:25.
Old 22nd May 2008, 23:33   #77
BHPian

@ Rehaan
If ur talking about my trial, then yes my dent is the type what ur talking about.

This dent is below the "turbo" tag in the rear of my turbo (indica). I even removed the leather covered covering from the inside, and there were metal stripes for the strength of the door coz of which my hand cannot reach the dent. If they were not there, one single push with the finger will be enough for the dent to vanish off!!

Even i saw this tv-commercial DENT KING!! once. I wanted to watch this the 2nd time, but i dont seem to find it playing again on the tv.

@V-16

But this product works in a different way. There is a glue that is applied to one end a small, long rod and is stuck to the dents' center and then another wierd device pulls out the stuck rod, with that the dent also opens and pops up! and as far as i remember they said the glue does not damage the paint and metal body.

Dont remember how much did it cost..

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd May 2008 at 15:03.
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:14   #78
BHPian

Here is the link for the product DingKing.tv | Home and the Dent King is similar to this,had posted about this in some other thread.
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:32   #79
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Don't know about the dry ice technique but with resin, lever like tools, fibre tipped hammers there is a technique which is a combination of pushing the dent out, hammering out ridges, using resin to pull out, which works brilliantly. The dents disappear magically with no need for painting. Ofcourse this assumes the paint remained undamaged around the dent

The only catch is this requires a huge amount of skill. Not everyone buying the kit can do this. I have seen a team from Italy do this to amazing perfection and they usually travel the world taking dents out on cars damaged in hailstorms.
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:29   #80
BHPian

finally has anyone tried dry ice on his/her car dents.Its almost a year and we have discussed the physics of dry ice,its chemistry,its availibilty (logistics),prices (economics),its packaging to carry it to your garage.
I think only the application part is missing,else this thread is worth a Phd
Sorry no offence intended to anyone.Just love this forum.
Old 23rd May 2008, 14:15   #81
BHPian

Mumbai Dry-Ice Dealer

Acme Pharmacy,
Green field CO-OP HSG Society,
Mapkhan Nagar,
Marol-Andheri road,
Behind Marol Fire Station,
Andheri East.

Tel# 022-29903572 <<call for directions)

You will be amazed at how BIG slabs he has of DRY - ICE in those big thermacol containers. But the place is a bit dirty. But who gives, all want 1 thing and he sells it!!
-----------------------------------------

Ok now guys Things to do at the shop:

1) If you want to, tell him you want the ice to keep your ice-cream cold while you reach goa!! He might ask you for security reasons (what if your carrying bio-weapons using his ice??) he wont know who you are.

2) Dont ask the dealer anything about the application on dents. (I had made a fool of myself trying the ice on the dent in front of the shop).

3) Carry a small thermacol/ICE basket to bring home the dry-ice safely. If you dont bring anything to protect the ice from heat, the ice will slowly slowly sublime off. If you dont take anything, he will wrap it in newspaper and give it to you.

4) He does not sell the dry ice not less than 1kg. When i bought 1 kilo, he charged me Rs. 35. Now prices must have changed.

5) If you want the ice in pieces, tell him to break it and give, coz when i reached home, i was throwing it on the ground to get hold of a small cube!!
Old 23rd May 2008, 14:21   #82
BHPian

All those who try it!!

PLZ post proof.

Or atleast record the procedure if any one is successful in "poping out"" the dent.

It will help others and me to try it again and will say "It works!!"

All the best for all who try it.
Old 23rd May 2008, 14:35   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_aashay View Post
A

Ok now guys Things to do at the shop:

1) If you want to, tell him you want the ice to keep your ice-cream cold while you reach goa!! He might ask you for security reasons (what if your carrying bio-weapons using his ice??) he wont know who you are.
5) If you want the ice in pieces, tell him to break it and give, coz when i reached home, i was throwing it on the ground to get hold of a small cube!!
One more thing I would like to add. Dry ice is not just like normal ice. Dont hold it in your bare hands. Use some sort of gloves or cloth to protect your hand.

I have personally seen the damage it can cause to your hands if you hold it directly. And more importantly, dont let the kids play with it.
Old 23rd May 2008, 14:44   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
One more thing I would like to add. Dry ice is not just like normal ice. Dont hold it in your bare hands. Use some sort of gloves or cloth to protect your hand.

I have personally seen the damage it can cause to your hands if you hold it directly. And more importantly, dont let the kids play with it.
Yes i forgot to add that point. Nice of you to post the point praveen.

If u handle the ice with bare hands, your skin that is in contact will simply come off!!

I used a thich wollen cloth to hold the ice from one end coz i didnt have a proper glove and kept one side open for the bare ice to contact my turbo's dent.
Old 23rd May 2008, 14:52   #85
Senior - BHPian

Here's the online buyers website for dentking in India.
Old 26th July 2008, 10:48   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

saw the full advt of dent-king just now on tv. Must say that I was impressed -- if there was NO trick done to show the effectiveness.

My Gypsy/S10 has few dents that could do with the dent king.

It costs 2490 and they are giving the rubbing/scratch compound along with it.

Am tempted to buy and have sent them an SMS.
Old 26th July 2008, 11:32   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
saw the full advt of dent-king just now on tv. Must say that I was impressed -- if there was NO trick done to show the effectiveness.

My Gypsy/S10 has few dents that could do with the dent king.

It costs 2490 and they are giving the rubbing/scratch compound along with it.

Am tempted to buy and have sent them an SMS.
I too saw this in some channel, let me know if it really works the way they have shown it on T.V, I'm tempted to go for the same too.
Old 15th August 2008, 09:30   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

I got this dentking ordered and also tried it out on few small dents on my Gypsy (approx size of dent: 1Rs coin).

Feedback: Doesn't work that well on small dents. There is a difference BUT not too much.

My S10 had a dent on the rear hatch (where PALIO is written) and was the size of a small child's palm and was the kind of dent that these folks show in their advts.

I tried this dentking on that dent and had to do it twice and must say that the dent has gone to the extent of 80% +. Previously the dent was immediately noticeable from even a long distance but not only on close inspection can you make out the dent.

My overall feedback:

Reasonably ok-good for medium/big dents (dents which are smooth and do not have their edges pointed etc.)

NOT good for very small dents.

And yes, the paint did not peel off and there is no damage to paint.

Anyone here in Bangy wants to try it out, let me know and in the next meet I can bring it along for people to try it out on their dents. :-)
Old 15th August 2008, 09:40   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Anyone here in Bangy wants to try it out, let me know and in the next meet I can bring it along for people to try it out on their dents. :-)
Do you think it would work on small dents in my Aveo
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tml#post939712
It is small for sure, but well visible.
Old 15th August 2008, 09:51   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Do you think it would work on small dents in my Aveo ..
NO WAY... the dents on my Gypsy's bonnet were similar and it did not work.

You need bigger dents man.

Most Viewed