Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:47   #46
Team-BHP Support

My wipers are up for replacment too but there is a small thing I would like to share.

After a bout in the rain the wipers were not moving smoothly across the windscreen.
They would slightly jump and shudder.

I sprayed a little WD40 on the springs and that has solved this juddering issue.
Old 3rd July 2008, 14:04   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Rajendra, we have given you conflicting suggestions. Which one has worked for you ? Pls let us know.

Eg: I use cooling of the air directed to the windshield to prevent fogging. Others have used warm air on the windshield to prevent fogging. Which one did you use ?
The method highlighted has worked for me, every time.
Cold Air / Full Fan / re-Circulation mode / Air direction to Windshield.

Fresh Air may also work, I guess. However, the above method is quick and unfailing.
Old 3rd July 2008, 14:18   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
My wipers are up for replacment too but there is a small thing I would like to share.

After a bout in the rain the wipers were not moving smoothly across the windscreen.
They would slightly jump and shudder.

I sprayed a little WD40 on the springs and that has solved this juddering issue.
What is this miracle?
Old 3rd July 2008, 14:19   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I wasnt talking greek here or was I ??
It was innocent english language alright, but I was viewing it on my mobile and it did not display the link.

P.S. The item is no more available at ebay

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 3rd July 2008 at 14:22.
Old 3rd July 2008, 14:25   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
What is this miracle?
WD-40 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My colleage used it for cleaning oil from kitchen chimney. Oily dirts stick harder when trying to wash with water. Some sort of oil solvent has to be used. WD-40 is something of that sort.

WD-40 patent period is over and thus many people have started making it at cheaper price (again from my friend's words).
Old 3rd July 2008, 14:25   #51
Team-BHP Support

Its a miracle indeed.
WD-40 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

costs about 250 bucks.
available at most hardware stores.

I bought mine from a hardware store near Ranigunj.
The map is centered roughly where the store I bought it from is located.
Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!
Old 3rd July 2008, 14:32   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Logic for the condensation of either at inside or outside of windshield is same, temperature difference between inside cabin and outside.

Now if you see condensation outside, this is a combination of low inside temperature and dirty windshield glass.

So first try to run the wiper without any Air Circulation, if that does not works, try defrost with fresh air mode, and if that also does not work, try defrost option with hot air.

Also in rains, clean the outside surface of glass properly with colin or soft detergent. And in washer container fill water with some detergent(small pouch of shampoo is good), or adder like the one available at MGA.

Opening window a bit also helps if you don't mind some drops of rain coming inside .
I ran through the thread fast, so I might have missed some of the good posts. Otherwise, what rkbharat mentioned is the best understanding of what happens. I used to go nuts with those fogs when I didn't know. Then I had to read the manual again. It was there "select the mode to blow the air to the windscreen, with inner circulation, AC on. If A/C has a heater, use hot air".

So, moist forms on the surface exposed to the hotter side, but can be blown away with hot air. If there is no heater, make the inside (where people are inhaling out hotter air) cool down using A/C.

Last edited by opendro : 3rd July 2008 at 14:32. Reason: grammartical mistake
Old 3rd July 2008, 19:16   #53
BHPian

So far all the suggestions are related to turning AC (cooler or heater) on. Any suggestions for non AC cars? I remember assisting my father cleaning his ambassador's windshield from inside while he was driving. It's difficult for a driver to reach windshield to clean while driving. Tried this stunt on my swift and refrained myself doing it again while driving.
Any suggestions for cars without AC ?
Old 3rd July 2008, 19:26   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpid View Post
So far all the suggestions are related to turning AC (cooler or heater) on. Any suggestions for non AC cars? I remember assisting my father cleaning his ambassador's windshield from inside while he was driving. It's difficult for a driver to reach windshield to clean while driving. Tried this stunt on my swift and refrained myself doing it again while driving.
There is an antifog liquid available if you can find it. see below pics.

Name:  abro_clearview_antifog.jpg
Views: 1513
Size:  7.0 KB

Foggy or misty windshields - help!-abro_clearview_anti_rain.jpg

The green one goes on the inside of the glass and the yellow one outside. I've tried the yellow one, with fairly good results. Not sure about the green one.

cheers/
Old 3rd July 2008, 19:26   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpid View Post

clean windshield will prevent the glaze forming.
To prevent mist there is nothing you do except keep the window a little open.

It helps to have those external covers on the windows.
I cannot remember the name but these are stuck on the top of door and prevent water from getting in when the window is kept a little open.
Old 4th July 2008, 03:06   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raja748 View Post
Hey Nishant,

then how did you tackle this issue of mist from outside?It is really a pain to drive in night when lights of other vehicles fall on your eyes.
I think, the principle here is simple - just ensure your inside temp is same as outside temp. This is what I do - close all the windows, switch on the AC. Turn the fan mode to Defrost. I don't always put the AC mode to Defrost (which is high heat, I presume) but I adjust it some where midway or keep adjusting until I feel the temp is same as outside one.

Have you ever noticed mist forming on your ice cold beer mugs mate? Presume, it's for the same reason.!

HTH,
KK
cheers:
Old 4th July 2008, 13:07   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
clean windshield will prevent the glaze forming.
To prevent mist there is nothing you do except keep the window a little open.

It helps to have those external covers on the windows.
I cannot remember the name but these are stuck on the top of door and prevent water from getting in when the window is kept a little open.
These are called Window visors. I enquired in a road side accessories guy and he said, it'll cost about 450 bucks. I'm going to get them for my Alto.. can't afford to switch on AC loosing power and making it difficult to drive in stop-and-go traffic, especially in Bangalore. MGA version if I remember correctly costs about 2K.

-KK
Old 4th July 2008, 14:25   #58
BHPian

Quote:
@Raja, I may have the definitive answer to your problem : Looks like your car -and your wipers are about 3 years old. The problem is possibly with your wipers. Replace them, and check it out.

My wipers are into their 3rd season, and I seem to be facing the same problem now. Problem seems to disappear after some time of using the wipers.
I have mentioned in my message that I have already replaced wipers with BOSCH wiper blades.
Old 4th July 2008, 14:39   #59
BHPian

Quote:
@Rajendra, we have given you conflicting suggestions. Which one has worked for you ? Pls let us know.

Eg: I use cooling of the air directed to the windshield to prevent fogging. Others have used warm air on the windshield to prevent fogging. Which one did you use ?
Hi,

What I use to do during rains :
1.Switch on the AC,adjust AC switch to demist mode,turn on the wipers.
2.Internal air mode used.

This I use to do as default during rains,whether windshield becomes misty/foggy or not.

Now after this thread I am doing:
1.Switch on the AC.Be it on normal mode,turn on the wipers.
2.Internal air mode is used.

It has resulted in no condensation from outside on windshield and visibility is also "almost" clear.

Still I have one doubt in my mind.For last two years,whenever I was using wipers as mentioned,the windshield use to become crystal clear.But now what happens is,when the wiper wipes off the water,it produces a milky type of layer on the windshield,which vanishes after 2-3 seconds.I am unable to find out any solution on it so far.

In nutshell,till date I am unable to get the crystal clear performance,as I used to get during last two monsoons.
Any more suggestions in this regard are most welcome.
Old 4th July 2008, 14:47   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
raja748 : ... I have already replaced wipers with BOSCH wiper blades.
My bad.

And a long shot : what's the source of the water in your windshield wash reservoir ? What Type : Soft / Hard ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks