Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2011, 20:14   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Foggy or misty windshields - help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYBOYSIDS View Post
The temperature u set on the ac does not really matter.
This is true for inside fogging. Actually it would also matter but the effect of AC is much higher which dominates over effect of temp.

Quote:
3. For misting outside, good wipers can resolve the issue completely.
For outside misting AC is completely ineffective (obviously), though increasing temp definitely help but it is quite slow since the glass has to get heated up before it starts affecting (reducing) outside misting.

My 2 cents.
Old 8th August 2012, 18:33   #197

I drive a Vento and have been facing this issue for 3-4 months now with no solution.
Mumbai has been raining and its been humid. This leads to acute external/outside fogging on windshield.

I have got the problem diagnosed by VW workshop but there seems to be no solution.

Problem is when AC is switched on, the top right corner of the front windshield begins to fog externally and slowly covers the driver's side of the front windshield. Using wipers is a disaster since it spreads the fogging to the entire windshield.

The only thing that works is switching off the AC or pulling down windows which fades away the fogging but very very slowly.

Guys, need some advice??

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th August 2012 at 23:13. Reason: removed tags
Old 8th August 2012, 20:51   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Why dont you try increasing inside temperature a bit? The fogging occurs because inside temperature has cooled the glass to a lower temperature thus resulting in condensation of water on the outer side. Hence, raising the interior temperature a bit will help prevent condensation of water on the outer as well as inner surfaces.
Old 9th August 2012, 17:06   #199
BHPian

The outside glass Misty/Foggy thing has happened to me a lot of times. No matter if the wipers are new or old, this will happen.

So what I do for it?

Just take Colin, sprey on the glass, rub it off nicely (With a firm hand) with a news paper (Prefrabably English News Daily. It has better effect). Make sure, you clean the glas in one direction only. If you wipe it in all directions the issue remains as it is.
Old 9th August 2012, 17:28   #200
BHPian

The misting (inside & outside) will continue to happen as long as the temperatures differ. The best bet to avoid fogging is to find the ideal temperature setting on the HVAC, but again, since the temperatures will differ from area to area you will have to keep twiddling with the settings.
You can try lowering the windows every now & then to regulate temps inside & outside.
Old 26th August 2012, 21:10   #201
BHPian

I have been having issues with 'marks' appearing on the windscreen during rains. its as if the glue between the windscreen and the sun film is turning opaque. dont quiet know how to describe the issue. It only appears when it rains, and doesnt clear even with a cloth (so its definitely not fogging/mist). Opening the windows/switching off the ac/setting the temperature nothing makes it go away.

The service advisor said its common to all diesel cars!! didnt quiet get the logic and dont think its true. anyone has similar issues?

btw, i drive a swift zdi.
Old 14th November 2012, 15:06   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCars View Post
I drive a Vento and have been facing this issue for 3-4 months now with no solution.
Mumbai has been raining and its been humid. This leads to acute external/outside fogging on windshield.

I have got the problem diagnosed by VW workshop but there seems to be no solution.

Problem is when AC is switched on, the top right corner of the front windshield begins to fog externally and slowly covers the driver's side of the front windshield. Using wipers is a disaster since it spreads the fogging to the entire windshield.

The only thing that works is switching off the AC or pulling down windows which fades away the fogging but very very slowly.

Guys, need some advice??
Icars from my limited experience, for the Fog/Mist forming outside the Windscreen, try closing the Windscreen vents completely with a small Newspaper or Wedding card right on the Vent. This prevents the formation of mist on the outside a great extent and the normal AC Airflow (directed to Face/Face or Foot) takes care of inside.

Interesting part is How I found this out - I used have this problem and once during the Not so raining but Damp or very light drizzle day the problem was not happening and when i checking I had kept a small Wedding invite card right on the Dashboard covering the Vent. I was going to a Wedding Reception then and left the card on top of the dashboard. There might be slight reflection which one must get used to

Probable reason for solving the problem is - Windsheild vents may not be 100% perfect and slight leak of cold air should be hitting the inside Wind screen, making it cold and when moving most probably hot air from the Engine bay should be hitting the outside Windscreen making it hot, which caused the Mist/Moisture as temperature difference should be more. When the vent was closed by the Wedding card, the temperature difference should have been little less and hence preventing the mist quote.

I may not be right here, other BHPians can clarify or check out. But now I have placed my company entry pass on the Vent and the problem is completely solved for me.There might be slight reflection which one must get used to.

Last edited by Ananthang : 14th November 2012 at 15:09.
Old 23rd June 2015, 01:31   #203
BHPian

Dear folks...

At Night...My outside Windscreen gets misty in 5 mins if i put the ac on!
Ive tried reducing the temp to something a bit closer to the out side but no use! i know its condensation etc, but the wiper doesn't help esp when there is lights from the opp side.

is there smoething I can do or use to avoid this?
even the side windows are all fogged up!
Old 23rd June 2015, 07:10   #204
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
At Night...My outside Windscreen gets misty in 5 mins if i put the ac on!
Ive tried reducing the temp to something a bit closer to the out side but no use! i know its condensation etc, but the wiper doesn't help esp when there is lights from the opp side.

is there smoething I can do or use to avoid this? even the side windows are all fogged up!
What is the outside temperature versus the set temperature inside?

The temperature difference is more hence the mist formation.
Old 26th July 2017, 00:13   #205
BHPian

For all of you struggling with foggy windows, windshields and ORVMs here is an interesting video

Im not sure if this will prevent glass surfaces fogging up from the outside but its definitely worth a try since it costs next to nothing. Grime and smoke residue on the glass seems to be one major element that helps water vapour cling to glass. A regular and thorough cleaning of all glass surfaces should also work. Do let me know if this helps
best
famousshoes
Old 13th October 2017, 18:19   #206
BHPian

Baleno - passenger side window fogging up

Hi All,

I have a Baleno (Zeta (Auto)- Petrol) purchased just about a year back and I have been having some unusual trouble related to fogging of the window. Strangely, the fogging doesn't occur on the front or rear window, but is more prominent on the "front left passenger" window and to some certain extent, and not every time, on the driver's window.

Some of the patterns which I have observed:
1. Fogging of the front left window is not restricted to rainy days, but also occurs when it's not at all raining.
2. Problem is more prominent during the night (when the temperature is low) than during the day. Currently I am in Pune where there is significant difference between the day and night temperatures.

Only option is to keep rolling up and down the window continuously until some of the fog disappears. Not only is it irritating, but also very dangerous while driving at night as I can easily run into someone trying to pass from my left side.

Honestly I have no idea when this problem started as the car was with my father in Mumbai (where it was rarely being used) and I brought it over to Pune only recently for sometime after exchanging my i-20 with him (to ease my legs in the Hinjewadi traffic due to it being an automatic variant). I have the second free service due next month where I will surely bring it up with the Maruti technicians, but wanted to see in the meantime if anyone else is having a similar problem and how to rid of it. A search of the forums only brought out lists of front and rear screen de-fogging and not the side windows. Also as a practice, while starting the car I always put on the AC in "fresh air" mode and leave the windows open for 5 min, before moving it back in re-circulation mode. Is there anything different I need to do to avoid this problem?

Regards,
Nikhil
Old 13th October 2017, 18:31   #207
Team-BHP Support

Re: Baleno - passenger side window fogging up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikonification View Post
1. Fogging of the front left window is not restricted to rainy days, but also occurs when it's not at all raining.
2. Problem is more prominent during the night (when the temperature is low) than during the day. Currently I am in Pune where there is significant difference between the day and night temperatures.
l
I think this is normal condensation due to the air vents, try closing the vent on passenger side and see if this phenomenon stops. Please note apart from the normal air vent, there would be a defogger opening which also throws cold air on the glass. Reduce the AC temperature and things should be fine, quiet common in this humid weather.
Old 13th October 2017, 18:46   #208
BHPian

Thanks Jaggu, however I missed to mention in my original post, the fogging is occurring from the outside. I already tried using the defogger but that didn't help.
Old 13th October 2017, 19:40   #209
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks Jaggu, however I missed to mention in my original post, the fogging is occurring from the outside. I already tried using the defogger but that didn't help.
I think the fog that is developing on the outer side of the glass is due to air being humid on the outside than inside. I can think of two scenarios to avoid it:
  1. Increase the AC setting to warmer temperature. This may make the cabin an uncomfortable place to be in, but no harm in trying.

2. Change the air blowing position. I mean change it to air blowing to the foot rather than face.

Last edited by a4anurag : 13th October 2017 at 19:43.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 20:28   #210
Senior - BHPian

Re: Baleno - passenger side window fogging up

Quote:
Hi All,

I have a Baleno (Zeta (Auto)- Petrol) purchased just about a year back and I have been having some unusual trouble related to fogging of the window. Strangely, the fogging doesn't occur on the front or rear window, but is more prominent on the "front left passenger" window and to some certain extent, and not every time, on the driver's window.

Is there anything different I need to do to avoid this problem?
During nights, I usually drive with Auto AC at 26 deg, what temp do you set?
I assume this could be happening due to low temp being set in car.
Try closing the left most blower to close position and check if that happens.

Last edited by silverado : 13th October 2017 at 20:31.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks