Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2009, 09:45   #151
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if this will work on cold weathers. I have full doubts. This is still against the law "Difference in inside/outside temperature"

Quote:
Originally Posted by passion4cars View Post
Ok Guys I have the solution

- switch on the A/c
- direct the air towards the frontscreen
- move the a/c temperature setting towards HOT ( yes HOT )

and wait for 30seconds, i GUARANTEE you NO MIST or FOG type of build up on any windows ,

& yes i am not joking

Last edited by rkbharat : 17th June 2009 at 09:46.
Old 17th June 2009, 18:19   #152
BHPian

Try It Buddy & let me know , the results will keep you astonished

as for the cold weather - its works for me Delhi's winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
I am not sure if this will work on cold weathers. I have full doubts. This is still against the law "Difference in inside/outside temperature"
Old 17th June 2009, 18:57   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try It Buddy & let me know , the results will keep you astonished
+1

Quote:
This is still against the law "Difference in inside/outside temperature"
IMHO, the rule should actually be something like this- Do not lower inside temperature below outside temp, instead try to maintain as high temp as possible above outside temp. There is no limit on higher side, higher the better unless you end up roasting yourself or the car, of course!
Old 18th June 2009, 01:24   #154
BHPian

hey santosh...
keeping the temperature similar to the outside temperature keeps away the fogging, its just like having normal water in room temperature in a glass, keeping the cabin cooler than outside when its raining and humid is like havin cold water in a glass the outside of the glass fogs up.
i hope i've helped..
cheers
Old 18th June 2009, 12:57   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
hey santosh...
keeping the temperature similar to the outside temperature keeps away the fogging, its just like having normal water in room temperature in a glass, keeping the cabin cooler than outside when its raining and humid is like havin cold water in a glass the outside of the glass fogs up.
i hope i've helped..
cheers
That is fine, but all I am trying to say is that you don't need to "match" temperature of water to room temp. You can put warmer water as well without causing any fogging outside the glass. In fact if for some reason the glass was quite cold before pouring in water, it is better to fill it with warmer or even hot water instead of water at "matched" temperature. That will clear fog faster and keep it that way. Hope I am clear too!
Old 22nd June 2009, 10:55   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
hey santosh...
i hope i've helped..
cheers
There is a slight difference between the comparison of water in a glass and air in a car. Water has a much higher specific heat capacity than air, which means in layman's terms that it can cool (or heat) the glass very quickly. In a car however, you have air both inside and outside. Cool air is inside, but hot air is outside. And provided that you do not directly point the cold a/c outlet at the windshield, you have a larger mass of warm air meeting the outside of the windshield (due to forward motion of car) than the mass of cold air meeting the inside of the windshield. Hence having the inside of the car colder than the outside really should not cause a problem.

The only issue I have noticed is that even when the blower outlet is set to be directed towards the face of the occupants, there is a slight "leakage" blow on to the windshield, which after a sufficiently long periods can cause slight fogging from the bottom of the windshield. This is recognizable due to its triangular shaping (from the pattern of airflow leaving the blower outlets).
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:06   #157
Senior - BHPian

Shankar, agreed. I have experienced that when moving at a good speed, outside condensation/fogging tend to clear itself. But when it is very cold/rainy and you are hardly moving in city traffic, normal condition itself starts to build fog outside. Keeping cabin warm definitely helps whenever that happens for whatever reason. In any case, I think following points hold true-
1. There is absolutely no need to "match" cabin temperature to any specific level.
2. Higher cabin temp. the better, lower the worse.

Right?

Last edited by santosh.s : 22nd June 2009 at 13:07.
Old 23rd June 2009, 17:41   #158
BHPian

Did anyone tried what i wrote ? dont worry first you guys try it out , as I have the ans as why my PROVEN theory works

Quote:
Old 30th June 2009, 14:18   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Did anyone tried what i wrote ? dont worry first you guys try it out , as I have the ans as why my PROVEN theory works
Absolutely, friend, it will work, I have tried it when desperate. But we need a long term solution. You see, your suggestion will clear condensation on the glass, but it will also make the inside unbearable hot. So it is a no-no on long drives. Or else you have to alternate between hot/cold and do a balancing act, all of which is next to impossible while driving.
However, I feel filcord is right, and that the patches that you see are grime. Try a thorough cleaning of the windscreen before you drive out into the rain at night (and also your wiper blade edges). Maybe we will see some change. I will try the same and revert.
Old 7th July 2009, 17:27   #160
BHPian

I used to have the persistent white layer on windshield problem which refused to go away even after much wiping. I suspect the problem was with the car shampoo I was using which probably was leaving a thin wax layer on the windshield. The glass cleaner was also not removing this layer properly.

I changed to Sonax car shampoo and I now use Cyclo foam based glass cleaner. I am not seeing the problem in the little rainfall we have had so far. Will have to monitor for some more time.

Foggy or misty windshields - help!-cyclo_cleaner.jpg
Old 9th July 2009, 10:29   #161
BANNED

What's the price of Cyclo foam based glass cleaner ?
Old 30th July 2009, 12:10   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
Surely someone can guide to where I can get this 3M anti mist defogger
you can get it from staples store
Old 30th July 2009, 12:38   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
What's the price of Cyclo foam based glass cleaner ?
It costs 275 rupees. I have seen it in a few Shell pumps and Spar.
Old 30th July 2009, 14:44   #164
BANNED

Basically, misting will occur if teh glass surface is cooler than the dew point of the air. There are two reasons for this:

1. The easy one. When the temperature difference is marginal. Increasing airflow to the windscreen will help. Point the blower to the windscreen, and if required make the air somewhat warmer. Often just allowing in outside air will work. One clear indication of this is that there iis no misting outside.

2. The tough one: Here the problem is often characterized by misting on the outside as well. Basically you have to warm up the glass, till it is above the dew point of the outside air. This takes time and lot of warm air. No quick fix here. Prevention is better than cure, so as soon as you signs of frosting outside set the blower to blow air on the glass, and adjust the temperature to a warmer setting.

Of course there are various agents (including I am told rubbing raw potato) which inhibit the vapour deposition.
Old 21st August 2009, 20:26   #165
BHPian

Hi guys, I just went through all the replies in this thread because even i am facing the same problem in my Santro. I have sunfilm installed on the front windscreen and I thought the fogging/misting was due to this. Does having sunfilm on the front windscreen cause this? Do the others reporting this issue also have sunfilms on their windscreen? Please Help

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks