Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2009, 18:44   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Hi guys, I just went through all the replies in this thread because even i am facing the same problem in my Santro. I have sunfilm installed on the front windscreen and I thought the fogging/misting was due to this. Does having sunfilm on the front windscreen cause this? Do the others reporting this issue also have sunfilms on their windscreen? Please Help
I dont think sunfilms has anything th do with misting. as it has been said before in non ac car misting is on inside when it rains and the windows are up.
In ac car, with ac on, misting is from the outside as the glass is colder than the sir and condensation forms outside. the wipers wipe it off but it forms quite fast and can be quite irritating/dangerous.
I had heard somewhere in this forum that alcohol in the washer fluid can help. yet to try it.
The suggestion of putting the heater on, is loigical, but can one be comfortable with the hih temperature in many parts of this country??
Old 24th August 2009, 18:59   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
The suggestion of putting the heater on, is loigical, but can one be comfortable with the hih temperature in many parts of this country??
In my experience (am put up in Bangalore, too), usually it doesn't need to be as uncomfortable as you probably think/have experienced. Initially, to speed up glass heating process one may want to put it at a very hot setting, directing air flow on wind shield alone (often call defrost mode), and put blower on high speed. After a while, you have to just "maintain" the glass in warm state, so you can reduce the temp setting to a much cooler/comfortable position and put the blower in slow speed (1 or 2). I think you would be much better off following this, rather than ending up with blocked vision.
Old 24th August 2009, 21:02   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I dont think sunfilms has anything th do with misting.
@goandude : I felt that the culprit was the sunfilm as in my previous cars i did not have this problem of fogging/misting. I tried using the heater and felt really uncomfortable and the whole purpose of using A.C (to keep temperature low) is lost as soon as you turn to heater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Initially, to speed up glass heating process one may want to put it at a very hot setting, directing air flow on wind shield alone (often call defrost mode), and put blower on high speed. After a while, you have to just "maintain" the glass in warm state, so you can reduce the temp setting to a much cooler/comfortable position and put the blower in slow speed (1 or 2). I think you would be much better off following this, rather than ending up with blocked vision.
@santosh.s : I agree with you that we need to maintain the temperature of the windscreen. But doing all this experiments when driving in the night and that too when it is raining is a little too tacky.
Old 24th August 2009, 21:42   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
@santosh.s : I agree with you that we need to maintain the temperature of the windscreen. But doing all this experiments when driving in the night and that too when it is raining is a little too tacky.
There is not much experimentation as such, if you think occasionally changing temp knob and or blower speed is too tacky then leave it. I thought it is definitely less irritating and moreover less dangerous than not being able to see properly. I have been using this technique for years, it does work that too predictably.

BTW, recently I happened to travel in a neighbor's Ikon and the same problem was faced. He was driving with such a poor/dangerous visibility, that I could not resist advising him this technique. It didn't work for him... because that was the time when I made him realize that his heater is not really working. What he used to do is once in a while park the car to a side, get down with a dedicated clothe (like those lorry or auto drivers) and wipe the shield clean! He should be ashamed to call himself an engineer, I honestly feel, but then IT is full of such so called "engineers" or "techies"
Old 24th August 2009, 21:43   #170
BHPian

Theoretically, presence of plastic film on glass will reduce the intensity of fogging as the temperature difference across the two surfaces is not easily conducted.

Having an Automatic climate control will be beneficial.

Accumulation of dirt and dust on the windscreen will promote outside fogging in humid conditions.

Dampness inside the cabin can lead to inside fogging if the outside temperature is low.
Old 25th August 2009, 12:31   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
I thought it is definitely less irritating and moreover less dangerous than not being able to see properly. I have been using this technique for years, it does work that too predictably.

What he used to do is once in a while park the car to a side, get down with a dedicated clothe (like those lorry or auto drivers) and wipe the shield clean!
@santosh.s : I agree with you that this technique is comparitively less irritating than the one employed by your friend . Anyways i think its safer to park the car when this happens and then do all the experimentation until the fogging clears and you also will know which technique really worked out. Thanks .
Old 25th August 2009, 17:02   #172
BHPian

I always try to keep the outside and inside temp same. Turning on AC when its frosting inside can make the cabin cooler than outside. hence after some time, its starts frosting outside.

Now, what i do is keep changing the AC as whole to match the temp outside. Also good choice would be to keep just the blower on after initial cooling.
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:10   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
Have you tried 3M Windshield anti-mist/anti-fog(Can't remember the exact name). I got it last weekend and have used it once. I see a difference. I am not sure about how effective it'll be during the monsoons/winters when this problem peaks
Has anyone tried it in monsoons?

3M India: Anti Fog Demister

The foggy windshield is a huge issue these days because of the weird climate in bangalore
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:02   #174
BHPian

Ifind it more annoying in the monsoons - it's good till the mist is low however once it overwhelms - this causes the winshield to become hazy... I'd advice you to stay away off this product...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
Has anyone tried it in monsoons?

3M India: Anti Fog Demister

The foggy windshield is a huge issue these days because of the weird climate in bangalore
Old 22nd September 2009, 20:50   #175
Senior - BHPian

thanks is there any other product worth considering?
Old 23rd September 2009, 09:39   #176
Senior - BHPian

I have tried all these methods and what is peculiar is conditions that facilitate the frosting is different on various ocassions; rain, sudden rain on humid days at dusk etc. I perfected a technique for Swift wherein I used to put the AC on at very slow blower speeds and found to work well on many ocassions. Recently I came across an interesting incident wherin a guy with family in a Dzire was crawling in front of me in the single lane highway near Alleppy and I found that his entire vehicle is frosted and he can't see a thing. I overtook him and signalled him to stop so that I thought I could help him out. But the guy did not stop ; perhaps he would not have seen my signal because of the frost!
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:34   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
thanks is there any other product worth considering?
The idea is to keep the humidity as low in the cabin as possible - keeping the AC on will do the trick. However - during monsoons - since the humidity is high outside - if you keep the AC at it's coolest position - this might lead to fogging on the outside of the windscreen. An option is to keep the A/C on and simultaneously keep the heater on - so that fogging is prevented at the inside as well as outside of the windscreen - however - this might not be very effective if the number of passengers are more - because the exhaled air contains high humidity and you need to keep the A/C at a much colder temp to prevent the fogging from inside.
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:15   #178
Senior - BHPian

Use Mist Guard and Glass Guard from GardX.

they are available at Carnation service centers!

Welcome to GardX - Home
Old 26th September 2009, 01:28   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Use Mist Guard and Glass Guard from GardX.

they are available at Carnation service centers!

Welcome to GardX - Home
any one has tried these? kindly share the review on same.

i just returned from rainy drive. visibility was horrible. Foggy milky marks were left over on windshield. its interesting to note that the milky fog formation from outside happens only on driver side but not on other half. Even if i try rubbing the wind shield with clean cloth, the milky foggy residue remains. added to this wind shield problem is pathetically horrible roads around Mangalore...

Oh God... all over India, when we will have some decent road.

Came home and first thing i did is login to TEAM BHP

some solutions i found in this thread. I shall try them next time when it rains.
Old 31st October 2009, 01:06   #180
BHPian

Guys - I am facing this issue in my new fiesta and i tried to use warm air directed towards the windshield, fog started forming inside. Changed to cold air fog started forming outside.
Any help would be much appreciated

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks