Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2008, 02:34   #121
BHPian

I just use add windshield cleaner to the reservoir tank and use the wiper when it is foggy from outside. For inside screen, ac works good.
Old 8th October 2008, 17:39   #122
BHPian

I know the thread is about the windshield but i have a related problem...
There is visibility problem on the sides as well..the ORVMs in swift dont help in rain..there are water droplets on the ORVM and the side glass also and that makes it real difficult to see outside...
i find it tough to drive in rains and use the ORVMs...kindly help!!!
Old 11th October 2008, 12:32   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by callnishanth View Post
OK.... I have the similar problem with my Swift Vdi from day ONE....i can see a lot of people trying very hard to understand what the issue is.... a few of dreamdiesel's post explains the issue the way i see it...
------
I asked one of my friend to do the same while i sat inside the car and watched.... It was the same milky layer which stays for 2-3 seconds and clears off which i see during the rains.. So... No Wipers,no AC,no defrost mode... NOTHIN.

Please post in some suggestions on this one....
Hi Nishanth, You are having the same problem as i do. I am pretty sure you have got your glass polished along with the car body from some vendor. which has lead to some silicone build up. We need to clean it off. i am myself on a hunt to get a good cleanser.

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks, also avoid quoting large post for a short reply.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th October 2008 at 12:44. Reason: stop ... this...
Old 11th October 2008, 12:50   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
I know the thread is about the windshield but i have a related problem...
There is visibility problem on the sides as well..the ORVMs in swift dont help in rain..there are water droplets on the ORVM and the side glass also and that makes it real difficult to see outside...
i find it tough to drive in rains and use the ORVMs...kindly help!!!
There is an easier solution to achieve great all-round visibility..... get a merc or a bmw or some jewel of a car ... hahaha... just kidding.
Our cars (basically smaller segment) have regular ORVM which mists during the rain. Its not the water droplets alone on the mirror surface... but the mist layer between the mirror glass and the mirror inner coating. So wiping the ORVM during rain will not help much (although it helps). Higher segment cars do have heater ORVM (like our rear window) which will make them very clear even during heavy rains.

As for the side windows... what i do is lower the windows half way and raise it back quickly enough... so as i dont get too wet. This will wipe off your window and will give your relief for next few minutes. This is very much required when you drive in choc-a-blok traffic in the city. coz u need keep looking every where else but the front.
Old 14th October 2008, 19:15   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by menas_136 View Post
As for the side windows... what i do is lower the windows half way and raise it back quickly enough... so as i dont get too wet. This will wipe off your window and will give your relief for next few minutes. This is very much required when you drive in choc-a-blok traffic in the city. coz u need keep looking every where else but the front.
actually rain-x works like magic on side glass, first because of gravity droplets fall off, and second at high speed wind is tangential to the glass just wiping the water off.

just make sure you clean the glass throughly after applying rain-x, else it leaves an oily film obstructing your view.
Old 14th October 2008, 19:38   #126
BHPian

I have noticed that you will get an oily coating all over your car including windshield during water service at dealerships. I believe they use some liquid mixed with Diesel to wash the car. When you take the vehicle out to rain, this coating will completely block your visibility. Washers will not solve the problem.

I have bought a 3M windshield cleaner and it could clean up the mess to a great extend.
Old 22nd October 2008, 00:30   #127

menas_136, I do all the polishing myself on the car. Based on your comment, what i think could have caused this issue might be the liquid the guy used to stick the thin line of sunfilm on the inner - upper edge of the windshield.
This liquid must have flown down and dried up, which I guess is visible only during slight drizzle.
Old 26th October 2008, 09:55   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post

I switched on the AC and directed it towards the windscreen. The foggy effect inside the windscreen got evaporated and the visiblity was clear with the wipers running at 2-3 speed. Then the fogging started from the outside

I switched on the windscreen washer. The place on the windscreen where the water hits became completely clear. I guess because of the warm water hitting the windscreen cleared it.
Dear dreamdiesel, you made a basic mistake. Check my previous post where I have explained the condensation effect.
  1. Condensation takes place wherever warm air meets cold surface.
  2. In car, in rain, windows up, no a/c - windshield = cold due to cold rainwater falling. Air inside car warm due to various factors, one of which is exhalation of occupants. This warm air meets inside surface of cold windscreen = condensation (on inside surface). Particularly true for front seat occupants since their breath is directed towards windscreen from close by. And add to it the fact that we tend to lean forward to see clearly during the rains. When you switch on the A/C it counters this effect in two ways, 1) by cooling down the air inside the car and 2) by carrying away the front seat passenger's breath backwards and away from the windscreen (though I am sure the effect of the first function is more prominent of course!)
  3. However as I explained in my previous post, directing cold air on to your windscreen as you have done is a definite no no! You see, in this case your windscreen cools down to below the temperature of the air outside, and now you have condensation outside the windscreen! If at all you want to do something with your windscreen, you need to heat it up. (Ever notice the effect of the rear window defogger? What do they do? They heat the rear windscreen!) Because the root cause of all your troubles is the windscreen being cooler than the air around it! It is either cooler than the air inside in a non A/c car (hence condensation inside) or cooler than the air outside in an A.c car (then you have condensation outside). By blowing your A/c directly on to your windscreen you are aggravating the second condition. If you want to test my theory, set your A/c to max heat and then blow it on to your windscreen and you will find that all condensation issues stop immediately. How you will survive in the car then is another issue.
If you can set your A/c so that the temperature inside the car is pretty close to the one outside, I suppose this issue would not happen. But I have no idea whether that it possible...?
S.H.Shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2008, 16:19   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by callnishanth View Post
menas_136, I do all the polishing myself on the car. Based on your comment, what i think could have caused this issue might be the liquid the guy used to stick the thin line of sunfilm on the inner - upper edge of the windshield.
This liquid must have flown down and dried up, which I guess is visible only during slight drizzle.
Hi nishanth,

the liquid the guys use while sticking the sun film is something like a very dilute soap water or glass cleaner. Well basically it is a liquid with very low surface tension.

And they do not use this solvent to stick the film, but the opposite. The film when removed from its base, is very sticky, and once it touches the glass, it will cling on. so sticking it without airbubbles is impossible. SO they use the solvent, and swipe off and elliminate any trapped air bubbles.

Above all, i do not have any sun film put on my windshield (top edge).

I am pretty sure it is due to the polishing done. As soon as it is done, when you drive through the rain, you see very oilish effect from wiper, and later when all the oily effect is gone after couple of weeks / months, the fogging effect would come in. Currently i am facing this milky fogging effect for the past almost 8-10 months. One of my relative's, brand new civic is also having the same problem and it all started after the foolish car care people applied some polish on the windshield. But to my surprise, this was done from the Honda showroom itself.
Old 28th October 2008, 19:22   #130
Team-BHP Support

Fogging outside has lots to do with humidity in the air. While driving slow in a hot and humid tropical climate (coastal kerala for instance) outside fogging can happen fast sometimes. All this has nothing to do with wiper, glass or any liquids used on windshield.

Only thing that works is controlling the humidity and temperature inside and outside the car, faster you drive lesser the chance of condensation happening on outside. But if you are stuck in traffic jam, with hot air from engine bay playing havoc outside you will face difficulty so using wiper is the only remedy.
Old 28th October 2008, 21:35   #131
Senior - BHPian

After my recent car service and cleaning I find that the windows and the windshield have a misted appearance and feels oily. Only the portion that the wipers clean (after spraying the wiper liquid when I hit the wiper stick) is clean.
How do I get this right - I assume its something that the guys used to clean the car/windows that is causing the problem.
Will using something like Colin glass cleaning spray (used in the kitchen) or just some soap solution be enough?
Old 28th October 2008, 23:44   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
All this has nothing to do with wiper, glass or any liquids used on windshield.
Hi jaggu,

that was a claim made too easily and its wrong and i object that totally.

i have explained things clearly in my first post in the same topic. I kindly advice all to search the web regarding the problems on use of many fake glass polishes which claim to do the job. All these water repelling substances used clearly put a toll on night time visibility during rains. there is some kind of silicon build-up stains on the windshield which makes visibility impossible. I am one such victim and i noticed this the very next day i got my car polished. It is also very difficult to get rid of this problem and it would take ages to get it removed.

My advice to all is that Never apply any products on your windshield except basic glass cleaner. wax your car, your tyres, dashboard, etc but not your windshield and your steering wheel.
Old 29th October 2008, 00:01   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
After my recent car service and cleaning I find that the windows and the windshield have a misted appearance and feels oily. Only the portion that the wipers clean (after spraying the wiper liquid when I hit the wiper stick) is clean.
How do I get this right - I assume its something that the guys used to clean the car/windows that is causing the problem.
Will using something like Colin glass cleaning spray (used in the kitchen) or just some soap solution be enough?
Hi benji,

The solvent wht they use in the waterservice station is called soap oil. it helps clean all the dust and grime well and it is not corrosive. for sure it will leave a thin oily coat on the windshield and all over the car body but there is absolutely nothing to worry as it will instantly go away if you wipe it clean or use some glass cleaner; colin spray is adequate. But do not apply any polish, or rain repellent like RainX or something on the windshield
Old 4th November 2008, 13:48   #134
BHPian

@menas_136 - what did you do to clean your windshield? During monsoons I used to face the milky mist problem. Now I see the windshield attracting lots of dust and there seems to be a general oiliness no matter how much cleaning liquid I apply. I use Maruti MGA windshield cleaner.
Old 13th November 2008, 12:53   #135
BHPian

Have you tried 3M Windshield anti-mist/anti-fog(Can't remember the exact name). I got it last weekend and have used it once. I see a difference. I am not sure about how effective it'll be during the monsoons/winters when this problem peaks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks