Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2009, 15:31   #1021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
sss

Thought I posted it here. Loose battery terminal connection.
s

We have lemons :P
Have tightned the terminals.. Didnt happen again. And servce advicor said it could be due to moist fuses also.... aah

Thanks alot..
Old 12th August 2009, 21:04   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Air Filter indicator shows RED!

Its been only 2k kms since the 30k service, and the car went for the retrofit, so am assuming they would have cleaned it. However, the Indicator on the filter shows RED..

Isnt the airfilter replaced at 30k ?
Old 12th August 2009, 21:08   #1023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Its been only 2k kms since the 30k service, and the car went for the retrofit, so am assuming they would have cleaned it. However, the Indicator on the filter shows RED..

Its to be replaced at 45k kms or when the RED band appears, it seems time has come.

For extreme conditions, clean at every 7.5k and replace at 30k kms, check if they charged you for it earlier.
Old 12th August 2009, 22:51   #1024
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post

Srini, I think in our metros it is always better to replace it earlier than the manufacturers requirements. I remember having changed my MM540s air filter when I got to bangalore and was appalled at how much dust had accumulated after just one month of usage in Bangalore. Ofcourse, I used to take a lot of short cuts to get to Embassy golf links.
Old 13th August 2009, 00:37   #1025
Team-BHP Support

Where are the fuses for the 12V power sockets located? Any idea?
Old 13th August 2009, 09:40   #1026
Senior - BHPian

TSK,

Did you check the fuse box right next to the steering? (right side). There is a flap, which opens up to show the area that houses a lot of fuses. The layout diagram is present on the flap. My guess is that it should be there (and there are a lot of them there!!!).

Last edited by HappyWheels : 13th August 2009 at 09:41.
Old 13th August 2009, 12:07   #1027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Where are the fuses for the 12V power sockets located? Any idea?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
TSK,

Did you check the fuse box right next to the steering? (right side). There is a flap, which opens up to show the area that houses a lot of fuses. The layout diagram is present on the flap. My guess is that it should be there (and there are a lot of them there!!!).
Here's the scanned copy of the location of the cabin's fuse box location (from the manual)
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-fullscreen-capture-13082009-120452-pm.jpg  

Old 14th August 2009, 00:01   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Here are the pictures of new Dove tail joint , The rattle has not reappeared in last 4 days. Quoting the parts list again for convenience
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

S.No Part No. description Rate
-----------------------------------------------------------------
1. 269974306316 Rubber Stopper T.G 16.00 X 3
2. 289581306301 DRG. Dove Tail Body side 56.00 X 1
3. 289581306302 DRG. Dove Tail - Tailgate side 56.00 X1
4. FST001 Bolt 4.44 X4
5. FST 002 Washer 1.78 X4
6 FST001 Bolt 4.44 X4

The last 3 item means 4 bolts matching the body side dovetail joint and 4 bolts for door side and 4 washers.

Total material cost with VAT is 202. 67 Rs and Labor charges were 450 Rs.
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-dova_tail_ds.jpg

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-dove_tail1.jpg

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-dove_tail1_bs.jpg

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-dove_tail_bs.jpg
Old 14th August 2009, 08:18   #1029
Senior - BHPian

@ amitk26: good to see that tata has done something to cure the rattling, which is now almost a standard feature in the safari. by the way, the work done appears to be very shoddy.
Old 14th August 2009, 10:04   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
@ amitk26: good to see that tata has done something to cure the rattling, which is now almost a standard feature in the safari. by the way, the work done appears to be very shoddy.
The Rattle in my safari was a single big squeak of tail gate on those foot high humps so common on our roads. The cabin is silent now both on roads and off road on gravel track ( not 4X4 kind)

I think shoddiness you see is just a lot of white grease which will go away in a week or so the job looks OK to me at least not any more shoddier then what was in OEM because it is just a bolt on job and can be done as DIY.

The 450 Rs is just for the sake of A.S.S to suggest the right parts and telling that it can be done done ( Consultancy fee )

Last edited by amitk26 : 14th August 2009 at 10:08.
Old 14th August 2009, 12:06   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
The Rattle in my safari was a single big squeak of tail gate on those foot high humps so common on our roads. The cabin is silent now both on roads and off road on gravel track ( not 4X4 kind)

I think shoddiness you see is just a lot of white grease which will go away in a week or so the job looks OK to me at least not any more shoddier then what was in OEM because it is just a bolt on job and can be done as DIY.

The 450 Rs is just for the sake of A.S.S to suggest the right parts and telling that it can be done done ( Consultancy fee )
TML should come out with this Retro for all Safari's .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVS View Post
This is a known defect in all VX versions. I reported this to TML in Dec 2008 and they referred this problem to their design center. They replaced the antenna, RVM in my first service, how ever that did not solve the problem.

Finally last month I got a call from TML that they found a solution and wanted my vehicle for two days.

Last week they fixed this problem. They replaced the RVM and the reverse camera under warranty. Now I do not have the problem in my Safari.

Cheers

KVS
Thanks for this post KVS. It gave me the push to initiate a customer grievance on the tata motors website for the same problem with my VX. I got a call from the dealer within two days to come down to the workshop. So yesterday being a holiday here went down to the workshop, there they had called some person from Tata Motors to check this and after a few calls to Kolkatta and then to TML, Pune, he told me that this would be taken care of within 5-7 days. Didn't give any more details, but overheard his conversation that both the camera and the inside rear view would be replaced with new ones.
A few other things I noticed this time was that the Lumbar support knob on the drivers side would spin around instead of moving in three positions. They opened the lever and it had not gone into its groove. Was done in two minutes.
Secondly, from the day I took delivery the front grey and chrome grill with the TATA logo would move a little bit when pushed inside. I thought this would be normal with all Safari's so didn't pay attention, however while waiting at the TASS yesterday just thought of feeling another Safari and to my surprise the grill was rock solid. So, I bought this to the attention of the service incharge and upon inspection we say that the bottom two links were broken. The service incharge said plastic welding will have to be done, but upon insisting that this issue was there from Day1 and that they had not done their PDI properly, they agreed to replace it under warranty after a few internal phone calls. They did not have a VX grill in stock so they promised to call me as soon as it comes to them, hopefully within 5 days.

Now I have to wait patently till the next weekend for all tehse replacements......... BOORING.... LOL.....
Old 14th August 2009, 15:02   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Full marks for posting the photo

I dnt have rattle on any terra-firma; just squeak which I solved
Old 14th August 2009, 15:47   #1033
BHPian

Phew!!! Finally finished reading the previous 69 pages of this thread.And now I feel like a Safari expert.Alright just kidding.But still the confidence level has increased manifolds in troubleshooting the minor niggles I encounter.

But here is a big one.
Last sunday morning I started my Safari 3.0 L and it started with the same sweet sound it does every morning.The ICE started playing my favourite songs.some 10 secs and then suddenly a small sound and the entire thing went kaput.Engine off.no lights.even the horn which is directly connected to the battery is not honking anymore.
I doubt the fuses and check them all.No clue.Open the bonnet to check whether there are any loose connections on the battery.But still no clues.Finally after beating the crap out of my head I call a nearby local mechanic who promptly comes down with few 15,20 and 30A fuses.
Does a check and says all fuses are fine.Goes and checks the relays.All fine.

The entire vehicle is all immobilised.As if the immobilizer has kicked in.Then he checks the battery charge by shorting it with a spare cable which he had bought.And declares there is no charge in the battery.Its fully discharged.And I am on the verge of fainting.How can that be.I just started it and it was on for at least 2 minutes.
He shruggs and goes to his garage only to return with a maruthi 800 and a few more asst. mechanics.
Pushes the safari out of my basement onto the road where his maruthi is waiting to donate.
COnnects the jumpstart cable and tries to start the safari.The safari just coughs.

Then a person(almost identical to our ramki) passes by in his santro.And ask...Dude is this your safari.I say with pride ..Yeah.
And then he declares that you are kidding by trying to jumpstart using a maruthi 800.The maruthi's battery cannot take this much load.Get hold of some Tata or mahindra mini trucks and use that to jumpstart the car.
Hell we are stuck again.Then comes my neighbour in his ford ikon and we request him for using his vehicle to jumpstart my safari.He obliges.
And then using that safari comes to life.
We take it to the garage and check the battery charge.Its full.I look at the mechanic.He shrugs again.All of us are clueless.He sends the car to the electrical expert and they are not ready to believe that the car started in the morning.I thank all of them and leave.
Finally gave my car for service to Concorde motors and tell them about the incident.They too are apprehensive but i asked them to anyways check the battery and top up the distil and stuff.
Till date no idea what and why that happened.That issue never came back again.
:Alter ego crosses his fingers and grins

any clues bhpians?
Old 14th August 2009, 17:27   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
.even the horn which is directly connected to the battery is not honking anymore.
100% battery issue in this case , read my post on this thread.

Quote:
I doubt the fuses and check them all.No clue.Open the bonnet to check whether there are any loose connections on the battery.But still no clues.
Possibaly not loose terminal which you can detect but carbon deposit on terminal.

Quote:
We take it to the garage and check the battery charge.Its full.I look at the mechanic.
Kind of confirm the point above. Clean the terminals and all the contacts with sand paper and then tighten the bolts with 12 no spanner and apply petroleum jelly issue will not reoccur.
Old 14th August 2009, 17:53   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
S.No Part No. description Rate
-----------------------------------------------------------------
1. 269974306316 Rubber Stopper T.G 16.00 X 3
2. 289581306301 DRG. Dove Tail Body side 56.00 X 1
3. 289581306302 DRG. Dve Tail - Tailgate side 56.00 X1
4. FST001 Bolt 4.44 X4
5. FST 002 Washer 1.78 X4
6 FST001 Bolt 4.44 X4