Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 12:00   #1231
BHPian

Drivability - Much smoother. Effortless. Driving in 2nd and 3rd is much better. When pushed from low to high it does not shudder/rattles that much.

Turbo Lag - None.

Black smoke - Was not there before. Do not see any now.

Engine noise - The krrr sound still there. First 3 months people use to think that it was a petrol vehicle. Then I do not know what happened.

Fuel Efficiency - Was giving me 14 +. I will check when I fill her up next.
Old 30th September 2009, 12:29   #1232
Team-BHP Support

Ok, Got the 3rd service done
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...lvable-87.html
The Bill was showing Castrol Transpower TQ in the Axles!
I got scared as manual says 85W140.
Got on the phone with a guy from Customer care, and according to him, for 4x4 Dana recommends Dana 90, which is a SAE 90 oil. However this oil is rare, so they put the Transpower TQ which is also SAE 90 instead of Dana 90.
85W140 is for 4x2.
If this oil is used in 4x4 vehicles, a friction modifier needs to be added, but the Dana 90 or Transpower TQ can be used as it is.
Old 30th September 2009, 20:33   #1233
Senior - BHPian

Before , I give my feedback , need to share my observation.

I have noticed, that as i slam the brakes while the car is moving at parking speeds, and the steering is turned in one direction , thus causing the huge mass to stop in a lunging forward motion - the sedimenter light in the console starts glowing for an instant. What does this mean?

Driveability:
Better pickup in 2nd/ 3rd gears. Less frequent Gear changes i.e more linear torque curve. (Yes)

Turbo Lag or lack of it: It feels more linear.

Fuel Efficiency improvement: Remains same..but my guess is there could be a very slight improvement

Increase / decrease in black smoke: None

Engine noise : No perceptible change.
Old 30th September 2009, 20:47   #1234
Senior - BHPian

Voila...you found water on the moon .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
the sedimenter light in the console starts glowing for an instant. What does this mean?

Jokes apart.. It is an indicator that there is water present in the diesel fuel, which has been cleaned of water by the sedimenter, located underside near the fuel tank. That needs to be drained. There is a procedure mentioned on draining the sedimenter in the 2.2 manual. That should take care of it
Old 30th September 2009, 20:57   #1235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post

Jokes apart.. It is an indicator that there is water present in the diesel fuel, which has been cleaned of water by the sedimenter, located underside near the fuel tank. That needs to be drained. There is a procedure mentioned on draining the sedimenter in the 2.2 manual. That should take care of it
But Rahul, why does this happen while braking and that too in such a fashion?
Old 30th September 2009, 21:06   #1236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
But Rahul, why does this happen while braking and that too in such a fashion?
It must be on the threshold of filling up and therefore when it shakes the sensor detects it and glows.
Old 1st October 2009, 12:02   #1237
Senior - BHPian

Anyone planning for such a mod for the Safari bumper, a must for all cars in India.

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-134276.jpg
Old 1st October 2009, 12:13   #1238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Increase / decrease in black smoke: I've seen a marked increase in the black smoke under acceleration. With Shell diesel its very pronounced, with IndianOil, its less. Got the AirFilter cleaned ( no red band ), still no change. A friendly neighbourhood TASS wants to check EGR and CAT to find the cause of the black smoke...

Engine noise : I feel the Krr noise is more now, will need to get it checked.

cheers!
Srini
A quick check by Concorde Kudlu gate confirmed that the air filter is indeed the culprit. It was all black even after a good shot of air to clean.. needed replacement, but no stock..

Got the AirFilter changed at EMM EMM Motors today. The engine is very silent now, the Krr noise also seems less, but will have to drive a few '00 kms before I can rule out any other issues.

Hopefully my FE should show a upward sign!

cheers!
Srini
Old 1st October 2009, 17:57   #1239
BHPian

Small niggles or need immediate attention? Advise needed

Hi,
I have been reading this very helpful thread very early after owning a 2.2 LX (took delivery on Aug. 24, 2009). Had been through half the pages though, till now.

Some background:
My Black Tigress (As I call it) has done 1600 kms, had her 1st service at 1430 kms. Everything was fine before 1st service. But after that, issues have started.

1. That famous hissing sound on full steering turn (both side) has come up. Though there is no khut khut or krr kind of sound, its like gas releasing type sound. Mild though, yet it is audible on all windows up and AC on.

2. Central lock is giving problem. When locking from driver side, it opens, then again, then again.. pressing hard only works. Earlier it was not like that. normal gentle push was enough.
3. Some cherrr sound from under the driver seat also poped up.

Took it to the Dealership/ TASS. Got it back in evening, receipt saying all three problems solved (FOC). But, no one explained what was done, etc. Driving back, found out that no. 3 above has solved. But remaining 1 & 2 are still there. No improvement et al. !!

After 2 days I got a courtesy kind of call from the TASS, asking for satisfaction with the work done, I told the situation, the lady asked to give back the vehicle and they will again get the problem solved. I had to give, anyway. Just didn't find time till know.

Except, these the Tigress is really behaving nicely and I am really enjoying the ride.

Now Queries:
1. The hissing sound is not much of a problem for mea such, but will it have some effect on the overall power steering set-up, if not attended to immediately? Can I wait for say 2-3 weeks? My worry is that if it is not much of a problem technically, then better not to go again to TASS guys, who knows it may come back with some new issue!

2. This Lock issue ! is it normal? I am worried, what if I go on a long drive to a remote place and the doors refuse to lock?. Though hasn't happened yet. Should it be addressed immediately?

3. Another related thing: I am planning to get installed remote lock system too (Mine is LX, So After market, Autocop or Xenos). Should I first get the OEM central lock issue addressed first at TASS, then go for remote lock? or they are not related issues? Moreover, which of the above 2 brands to opt for?. I don't want to risk any warranty issue. Authorised autocop shop says they dont cut any TATA wires as autocop unit comes with separate kit which need only the connectors to be plugged into the provision Tata has provided in the vehicle. Pl. advise.

4. I also wish to add Minda fog lamps to be fitted in space provided in the front bumper. Again the good shops says, it will be done without cutting any wire that may risk warranty. Will it be ok if got it done infront of me? Should I go for it.

5. I have realised that the stock headlight bulbs are not adequate et.al for highway driving. Which bulbs to go for replacing them, (without any mods in the wiring or drilling holes, etc)?.

All the T-BHP bros pl suggest on above points. Early advise is solicited.

Thanking in advance.
Old 2nd October 2009, 05:13   #1240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Now Queries:
1. The hissing sound ...
2. This Lock issue ...
3. I am planning to get installed remote lock system too (Mine is LX, So After market, Autocop or Xenos).
4. I also wish to add Minda fog lamps
5. I have realised that the stock headlight bulbs are not adequate
Thanking in advance.
The hissing sound at full lock isnt a problem really. Ive heard it on many Safari's. Mine hissed for a while and then stopped by itself.

You better get the lock fixed asap. If the TASS does not solve it in 2 visits then write to customer care.

Any accessory that does not splice the wiring should be a good fit. The pros may comment on the effectiveness of the the brands available.

I cannot suggest a bulb upgrade having not done one myself, but a pair of auxillary lights. I didnt go for the bulb upgrade for the simple reason that it spoils the light focus requiring resetting at the TASS, for which I dont have time. Besides 2 extra lights help if any one light conks off.

Cheers,
J
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:44   #1241
Senior - BHPian

1) As explained no issues, it hisses in almost all 2.2l steering
2) Get it rectified from T.A.S.S, ask them for replacement of the whole central locking system if they cant rectify.
3) Anything that doesnt cut is good, check with Minda if they have a better Remote locking system, their's will fit perfectly as they are the OEM for exisiting one.
4) Get OEM fog lamps and fitment wont be a problem, others are just useless.
5) Go for Silverstar 50+, at same rating, they do improve the visibility.
Old 2nd October 2009, 14:30   #1242
BHPian

I had posted a nice reply to DADU's query (msg. n. 1237) but now it has been deleted ?

Furthermore, why has someone put a BHP Copyright watermark on a picture taken from the ITALIAN TataClub Elephant4x4 website ???

It is our picture... taken in Italy with Italian drivers.We deserve the acknowledgement.
Old 2nd October 2009, 17:03   #1243
BHPian

Many thanks Jay and dadu. The advise would really help me.
Old 2nd October 2009, 18:12   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpescatori View Post
I had posted a nice reply to DADU's query (msg. n. 1237) but now it has been deleted ?

Furthermore, why has someone put a BHP Copyright watermark on a picture taken from the ITALIAN TataClub Elephant4x4 website ???

It is our picture... taken in Italy with Italian drivers.We deserve the acknowledgement.
If you see the picture carefully the watermark of tataclub.net is clearly visible.

On left corner it says, "hosted on Team-BHP" and it also says "Copyright respective owners". So there is no BHP copyright watermark whatsoever. The copyright belongs to the owner of pictures. All it is saying is that this particular picture is being hosted on team-bhp site. I see nothing wrong with this.
Old 2nd October 2009, 18:34   #1245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpescatori View Post

All posts under 50 from a new member are checked before being posted. But I will be surprised if it was deleted, as this one is not. Can you try again without using any slang etc. I look forward to it.

Sorry my mistake I just picked it up from your post in "new safari thread" on T-BHP but have not tried to hide the watermarks etc. Didnt intend to steal the credit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks