Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2020, 16:47   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Problem in steering rack-assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
dear all
on my 13 year old GETZ, I have noticed the TAK-TAK sound when turn from stationary or at low speeds. I don't get any sounds whatsoever while going straight or taking faster turns. also no sounds while going over uneven roads.

Is this sound coming from the steering, suspension or drive shafts ?
I suspect the drive shaft. The sound while turning is the give-away. Though I suggest you get it checked physically as there's only this much pointers that we can give you online without checking the car itself.

If you keep driving this way, I think it may start making the noise on uneven roads too.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 20:30   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I suspect the drive shaft. The sound while turning is the give-away. Though I suggest you get it checked physically as there's only this much pointers that we can give you online without checking the car itself.

If you keep driving this way, I think it may start making the noise on uneven roads too.
The Drive Shaft sound usually comes when the steering is at full-lock. I don't think that's the case here.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 20:38   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The Drive Shaft sound usually comes when the steering is at full-lock. I don't think that's the case here.
Probably I misunderstood Narayan’s post- ‘turn from stationary’ as steering turned to full lock. Probably he meant when the car starts rolling in motion from stationary.

Thanks.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 07:35   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Probably I misunderstood Narayan’s post- ‘turn from stationary’ as steering turned to full lock. Probably he meant when the car starts rolling in motion from stationary.

Thanks.
I think you understood me correctly. Sound is indeed pronounced at full lock turns from stationary but does exist at less than full lock also from stationary. I will visit an FNG first and get this verified. Thanks

Last edited by narayan : 11th January 2020 at 07:36.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2020, 11:38   #65
BHPian

This could be due to worn out balance rod bushes. I was facing a similar issue with my 12 year old Verna and I recently got them changed!
Old 28th August 2020, 01:06   #66
BHPian

Hello,

I need some help for my car please. The front suspension made some noise when the car drive over pot holes or uneven roads. The service center People told me that it is an issue with the steering rack and it needs to be replaced, however it will cost 40 thousand plus at the service center. Could anyone here please tell me who is the OEM supplier for steering racks for Toyota Corolla Altis 2011 diesel model? I think i can get it at a cheaper rate from the OEM supplier compared to what the showroom has quoted me. But i am not sure manufactures them.

Also, how much does it cost to replace the clutch plate? And who manufactures those? Any information in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 28th August 2020, 08:36   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareekvirendra View Post
Hello,

The front suspension made some noise when the car drive over pot holes or uneven roads. The service center People told me that it is an issue with the steering rack and it needs to be replaced, however it will cost 40 thousand plus at the service center.

Also, how much does it cost to replace the clutch plate? And who manufactures those?
Hi, there are different components in steering rack and suspension set up which would cause sound issues starting from outer ball joints , inner ball joints, and tie rods. Please get it checked at FNG, and you can get it fixed in minimal costs, say 10K to 15K. Generally these above components tend to fail in steering rack, not 'internal components' like powersteering pressure pump and rack and pinion system. So it doesn't make sense to change complete steering rack. Service center people in general don't do repairs, they just do replacements. OEM manufacturer for these parts are Toyota/Lexus themselves. But you can get aftermarket parts from RANE, etc for tie rods and ball joints. Also get your control arms checked, wornout bushes can also cause these sounds while driving on potholes.
Problem in steering rack-assembly-1598583733056.jpg
Problem in steering rack-assembly-1598583750625.jpg
Problem in steering rack-assembly-1598583768946.jpg
Problem in steering rack-assembly-1598583781953.jpg

Coming to clutch, Toyota/Lexus manufactures them. I bought the same for my Innova. There is Toyota name engraved on it. You can get aftermarket from Valeo, Luk too. But I suggest buy original clutch plate, pressure plate and release bearing and get them changed at your FNG. We changed our Innova's clutch plate at 1,50,000 kms not it is worn out but the release bearing was producing noise. Instead of changing only one component , we got complete set replaced, clutch is very light now.

Problem in steering rack-assembly-1598583826274.jpg
Problem in steering rack-assembly-1598583838570.jpg
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 09:51   #68
BHPian

Hello,

Thanks a to me for your help. This clarifies why i wasn't able to find a manufacturer for both these parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
OEM manufacturer for these parts are Toyota/Lexus themselves. But you can get aftermarket parts from RANE, etc for tie rods and ball joints. Also get your control arms checked, wornout bushes can also cause these sounds while driving on potholes.

Coming to clutch, Toyota/Lexus manufactures them. I bought the same for my Innova. There is Toyota name engraved on it. You can get aftermarket from Valeo, Luk too. But I suggest buy original clutch plate, pressure plate and release bearing and get them changed at your FNG
I don't think it's the control arms that have failed as I had those replaced about 10000 km ago.

I will take your advice and visit a FNG for the steering rack though, they might be able to get me an alternative.

About the clutch, my car has completed 127000 km, and I face gear slotting issues sometimes when the car is not moving, so I guess a clutch replacement is now due. There is a slight play in the clutch pedal as well. I was just not sure about how much it would cost at the showroom, will inquire there.

Thanks again for helping out.
Old 29th January 2021, 19:57   #69

Need advise people, TL;DR version:
My 4 year and 2 months old 2015 Innova 2.5V has been diagnosed with leaky steering system. How to proceed with the service center folks?

Long version:
Our family got a 15K kms run Innova 2.5V. The first impressions were good and nothing seem out of order except for one issue, the steering felt a bit tight to turn (Wouldn't be able to pick up if not looking for problems, like when cautiously test driving a used vehicle). After name change the first thing(still under 3 year standard warranty) I mentioned to the service technician was the steering issue. It was looked into and they found nothing problematic.

The car seemed fine for a few months, but the issue very gradually worsened up to a point where the heaviness was immediately noticeable. Adding to the woes, the steering pump started making whining noises which went away after the engine got warmed up. When the service due date came (warranty expired by now), I again insisted to look into the issue, and again my concerns were dismissed. I had an extensive test drive with the service center folks and I was told that the heaviness is within the acceptable range. The whining noise as usual couldn't be replicated there as the engine had already warmed up.

After 6 months, Yesterday (31K kms run) I reached the service center for scheduled maintenance and inspection (minor service between oil changes), the same story (Me raising concerns and being dismissed). But this time, I left the car there overnight and asked them to check the issue first thing in the morning. No points for guessing what would have happened.

The tie rod boot is damaged (which I find suspicious as it was not found in last oil change) and a leak is found. Due to which air gets into the system causing the pump to whine which disappears after driving. I was told that "steering box" (I don't know what that means) needs to be replaced for which parts cost Rs32K + Labour. What is a steering box BTW? I have heard of steering rack but not of steering box.

The most unlucky part is that, during the previous two services nothing was mentioned in customer comments section while accepting the vehicle for service. (The SOP is: I pull up into the service center, service center personnel asks for comments and a service technician test drives. Only if he finds the issue I mentioned my comments get entered into the job card).But this time after being told nothing is wrong, I insisted on the being the issue looked into. Hence I have got a job card stating "Pump whining noise".

My question is how to deal with the issue? Is it a lost cause and should I come to the realization that I should pay out of my pocket. Any chance of good will offer of reducing a significant percentage in bill costs by Toyota if I reach out and explain. Do you people recommend overhauling if it turns out to be a stupid O ring in FNG? (I don't know any, finding a reliable one would be a monumental task in itself). What if I ignore the leak and just top up the reservoir? Any one faced this issue with such relatively new car? (Toyota in particular). Any use of asking the service center people in writing?

@Mods, thought of posting in 2013 facelift review thread but decided against. Would be helpful if this post moved to a busy place where more people could chip in.
Old 30th January 2021, 12:28   #70

Next day update:

Visited the service center. The tie rod boot is not damaged and the factory metal crimps are tight as opposed to the information given to me.They have informed me their technical lead would look into the issue and give a root cause.

The service center people were waving the past records and no mention of steering issue is found in their records. But I confronted them with the fact that they had waived the breakdown charges, serviced the battery (I replaced the battery and it is still in warranty)and no records were entered.

So, I'm planning to argue that records are entered and maintained only if it suits their narrative and at their discretion. You people think that's a good idea?

Advice to fellow BHPians. Correspondence through e-mail explicitly listing out the issues when visiting the service centers instead of oral method is advisable. Especially when the car is new and within the warranty period. I know fellow BHPians insist on e-mail when buying new cars and being promised of deals. But how many of you record in writing when your gut instinct is overridden in service centers? Would like to know.
Old 9th February 2021, 16:19   #71

Update:
As expected both the Dealership and Toyota were having none of it. I have planned to intimate damage claim. Got to deal with the insurance fellows now. Windshield has a chip, and I have planned to include it in the claim. Trying my chances with both the steering rack and windshield getting approved. Lets see how it goes.
Old 10th February 2021, 16:55   #72
BHPian

Hi all,

I have an issue with my 2008 Honda city. There is a kind of clicking sound or tak-tak-tak when I am turning the steering in either direction for a u turn or a sharp left or right.

The steering feel has not changed and it remains smooth and light to turn and drive and nor is there any reduction in the steering fluid.

The car has done 140k kms and no other issues at all.

Can anyone of you guide me to what could the potential issues be and where to start. I just need to know a couple of points before I show the garage or ASC.
Old 10th February 2021, 17:21   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN88 View Post
Hi all,

I have an issue with my 2008 Honda city. There is a kind of clicking sound or tak-tak-tak when I am turning the steering in either direction for a u turn or a sharp left or right.
You may need a set of drive shafts. Try to check if the rubber boot on the drive shaft is torn, this is usually how it gets damaged.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 15:01   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN88 View Post
Hi all,

The steering feel has not changed and it remains smooth and light to turn and drive and nor is there any reduction in the steering fluid.

The car has done 140k kms and no other issues at all.

Can anyone of you guide me to what could the potential issues be and where to start. I just need to know a couple of points before I show the garage or ASC.
Hi,
I had the same issue in my 4th generation honda city. It is the issue regarding the steering column. Service advisor quoted 45k to rectify the issue. But I took the any time warranty for approximately 9k and replaced the steering column under warranty.
Old 11th February 2021, 16:06   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurav_P View Post
Hi,
I had the same issue in my 4th generation honda city. It is the issue regarding the steering column. Service advisor quoted 45k to rectify the issue. But I took the any time warranty for approximately 9k and replaced the steering column under warranty.
Hi Gaurav,

To add to the issue faced, the clicking noise comes while turning the steering only when the indicator is switched on( left or right ) . Just turning the steering without the indicators has no clicking sound.
Any idea if this would be the same defect? I will need to find a good garage to fix at a reasonable cost considering its a 12 year old vehicle ASC makes no sense.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks