Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2017, 20:33   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Problem in steering rack-assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaljain View Post
There might be some problem with the oil seals on the assembly which I guess can only be solved by changing the whole assembly.
But as far as I know, the i20 comes with Electric Power Steering from 1st Generation itself.
So there arent any "Oil Seals" in Power Steering of i20.

Edit
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30
I hear that 'tak-tak" noise in the front left suspension too. It cannot be steering rack problem as then its noise will not come from outside. I think it is because of the suspension.
Get the Bushes of Anti-Roll Bar checked and replaced if necessary. The Bushes cost me ₹180/- for our Elite i20 CRDi. I got them replaced at 42502Kms. Now the reading is 90443kms.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 10th July 2017 at 20:40. Reason: As above.
Old 5th November 2017, 18:45   #47
BHPian

Hey guys,

I have been facing a steering issue on my Etios Liva since the past few months. As you can see in the below pictures the steering wheel is slightly off-centre counter clockwise. Initially I thought it could be a wheel alignment issue. Raised this issue at the service center where they did a wheel alignment, but the issue remained as it is.
Later when I replaced the tyres, I again got the wheel alignment done but to no avail.
Then during the the last service at an FNG raised this issue again. The mechanic did the wheel alignment. It felt slightly ok for the initial days but it was back to square one.
Any of you who might have faced this might know how disconcerting this is.
Now recently I was checking out some YouTube videos on off-centre steering wheel and came across quite a few videos which I feel could rectify my car's problem. I have shared couple of links below for your view and maybe can confirm if this is the problem.
I can discuss with my mechanic and get this rectified in the coming week.
Please give your suggestions.
Pics and YouTube links below:
Please note that one of the videos has lot of cuss words.

Thanks,
Rajiv
Attached Thumbnails
Problem in steering rack-assembly-1.jpg  

Problem in steering rack-assembly-2.jpg  

Problem in steering rack-assembly-3.jpg  

Old 29th August 2019, 10:54   #48
BHPian

Noise in Steering box - Need advice

Hello Everyone,

Mine is a 10 year old Suzuki Ritz Diesel VDI ABS run around 57000 KMs.
I realised my front shock absorbers are totally gone as they started to act like tractor front wheels jumping. So gave the car at MASS.

I got a call back saying the shock absorbers & clutch plate need to be replaced and I said okay for both.

In addition to that, they also mentioned that my steering box is making noise. According to the supervisor, it will make noise when I hit a pot hole or bad road, otherwise it will work fine without any issues.
He suggested if I would like to, that can be replaced and would cost around 27K. He says the drive shafts are fine.

In other threads its mentioned that the steering box can be repaired outside but I'm not inclined to do that.

I would like to know if this steering box, if not replaced would cause some problem?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th August 2020 at 01:45. Reason: typo
Old 29th August 2019, 11:05   #49
Senior - BHPian

Re: Noise in Steering box - Need advice

Hi.

Did you notice any symptoms about the steering? Show your car to some other garage and get a second opinion. Tell your service advisor that you will have a second opinion outside.

Even for clutch, did you notice any symptoms? With proper driving habits, clutch shall last much longer. There is a separate thread on clutch related scam:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-overhaul.html (SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul")
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 11:22   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
I would like to know if this steering box, if not replaced would cause some problem?
Yes, it would definitely cause a problem, just like your front shocks making noise and jumping around.

There are experts repairing the steering box (Rack), if you are cost-conscious get it done outside.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 11:45   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi.

Did you notice any symptoms about the steering? Show your car to some other garage and get a second opinion. Tell your service advisor that you will have a second opinion outside.

Even for clutch, did you notice any symptoms? With proper driving habits, clutch shall last much longer. There is a separate thread on clutch related scam:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-overhaul.html (SCAM Alert "Saar, your car needs a clutch overhaul")
Regarding steering, no I didn't notice any issues.

Regarding clutch, yes I felt it was slightly jittering while going on inclined roads with driver & passenger in the fronts. With full load, felt like I have to push the accelerator harder to overtake in highways. My acting driver too suggested that clutch might needs to be replaced if I have to go uphill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Yes, it would definitely cause a problem, just like your front shocks making noise and jumping around.

There are experts repairing the steering box (Rack), if you are cost-conscious get it done outside.
Am not cost conscious, it's just that, replacement of clutch and shocks alone are touching almost 35K so was wondering if I can postpone the steering box to may few months.
Kannan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 15:22   #52
BHPian

Get the work done outside. Steering racks can be repaired, all they require is the bush replacement and refilling of the required grease.
I got mine done for my sx4, costed me 4500. Works as good as new. New one was above 35k.Have driven the car over 10k kms with the rebuilt rack.
scorpian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 08:19   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Get the work done outside. Steering racks can be repaired, all they require is the bush replacement and refilling of the required grease.
I got mine done for my sx4, costed me 4500. Works as good as new. New one was above 35k.Have driven the car over 10k kms with the rebuilt rack.
Got call from supervisor; bush is what is causing this issue and he suggested not to proceed if the budget is hitting high, this noise won't cause any problems was his final response. I felt happy for a change that he didn't insist on replacing.

So I didn't go ahead with replacement of steering box.

He even suggested not to replace the clutch, but if I have plans to travel on slopes then there is a good chance the car might stall with full load, but still should be able to manage with half load. So decided to go ahead with clutch replacement.

I'm not sure if diesel vehicles would have more clutch wear and tear compared to petrol vehicles, anyone has idea?
Old 30th August 2019, 09:30   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
Hello Everyone,

In addition to that, they also mentioned that my steering box is making noise. According to the supervisor, it will make noise when I hit a pot hole or bad road, otherwise it will work fine without any issues.
He suggested if I would like to, that can be replaced and would cost around 27K. He says the drive shafts are fine.

In other threads its mentioned that the steering box can be repaired outside but I'm not inclined to do that.

My Ritz too had the same issue of steering rack rattling when going over the potholes or bad roads. Something like khad-khad-khad sound and you can feel the steering rattle as well.

The symptom developed somewhere around the 60k km mark and I was initially told to ignore it until the rattle is more prominently felt . The SA mentioned that most of the Ritz of 2009-2011 batches has this issue and can be rectified immediately with steering rack replacement.
He suggested that for cost effective method I can go for lathe work option(don't know the technical term) for the steering rack which will ideally fix the problem.
I did go for lathe work option and bush replacement (@authorised service centre) at around 100000 km mark which had fixed the problem . So far(now 112800 km) touch wood no rattle is being observed yet.
Note :The lathe work was done outside the service centre
alexpaul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 13:26   #55
SRT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpaul View Post
My Ritz too had the same issue of steering rack rattling when going over the potholes or bad roads. Something like khad-khad-khad sound and you can feel the steering rattle as well.
I am also facing similar steering rack rattling issue in my honda city 2010 model. ASS is quoting 50k plus for replacing. Can you pl. share the details and contact of the lathe workshop which you have done
SRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 13:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
Can you pl. share the details and contact of the lathe workshop which you have done
A friend recommends Indian Industrial near Nadakkavu, Calicut. Quoting him :

Quote:
Calicut Indian Industrial is good for rack & pinion service. They are fabricating nylon bushes for rack, so it lasts more than OE. The cost of repair is reasonable as well.

After service, steering feels tight and gradually it will become normal.

Contact number : Deepak - 9387 THREE FOUR 8029
Please share your experience once you get the job done

Last edited by Klub Class : 3rd December 2019 at 13:38.
Klub Class is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 06:54   #57
BHPian

Team,

I’m getting that ‘Tatak Tatak’ sound from steering when driven through uneven roads.

It’s Alto 2007 model with 98,000 kms done.

Replaced the below parts yesterday and the issue is still there.

lower arm (2)
steering ball joint (2)
support rod bush kit
steering box
wheel alignment done

After replacing, the sound is arrested while turning left/right and it comes when driven through uneven roads alone. In straight smooth roads, the steering sound is not there.

Please advice.. should I go with engine mount replacement?
Old 23rd December 2019, 07:38   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash22 View Post
Team,

I’m getting that ‘Tatak Tatak’ sound from steering when driven through uneven roads.

After replacing, the sound is arrested while turning left/right and it comes when driven through uneven roads alone. In straight smooth roads, the steering sound is not there.

Please advice.. should I go with engine mount replacement?
Had similar issue in my Wagon R'09 model and the service center replaced the steering box alone. The above replacement should have fixed the issue in entirety. Please check with the A** on the workmanship and ask them to fix it.
saisree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 11:22   #59
Senior - BHPian

dear all
on my 13 year old GETZ, I have noticed the TAK-TAK sound when turn from stationary or at low speeds. I don't get any sounds whatsoever while going straight or taking faster turns. also no sounds while going over uneven roads.

Is this sound coming from the steering, suspension or drive shafts ?
Old 10th January 2020, 15:52   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
dear all
on my 13 year old GETZ, I have noticed the TAK-TAK sound when turn from stationary or at low speeds. I don't get any sounds whatsoever while going straight or taking faster turns. also no sounds while going over uneven roads.

Is this sound coming from the steering, suspension or drive shafts ?
Shouldn’t be the steering. I suspect the strut bushes.

Most Viewed