Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2014, 17:07   #31
BHPian

Re: Problem in steering rack-assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I am quoting this post by BHPian Humyum sir where he had given this response to a similar problem reported on a Swift. So please try this and see if you can find the source of the issue.

Do keep us posted.

Anurag.
Really appreciate your inputs ...

Today i have tried the step 1... Parked the car on a flat road and turned the steering left and right... I could hear the noise whenever i turned the steering towards right side...

Now here is the thing... As per the mechanic there is no dampers on power steering vehicles... Is it true?!

Also got stabilizer ends or caliper pins checked, he said they are ok.
Old 9th May 2014, 12:06   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post

Now here is the thing... As per the mechanic there is no dampers on power steering vehicles... Is it true?!
Can somebody confirm the above statement?!
Old 9th May 2014, 22:31   #33
BHPian

Quote:
I have asked the mechanic to check linkage and joints, he said everything looks fine.

Today i have noticed one more thing... After careful observation, the sound is coming only when the steering turned towards right side & not left side.
Also even if the steering is straight when going over speed breakers the same noise is observed...
Check the inner tie-rod ball joint(both sides). Most probably it has gone dry.
Ask your mechanic to remove the wheel and outer tie-rod end from the knuckle. Once the tie-rod is free from knuckle, move it in different directions and check if it is hard to move or if it makes any noise.

I am saying this because the inner tie-rod ball joint not only moves when the car is steered but also when the wheel moves up and down.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 14:25   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Check the inner tie-rod ball joint(both sides). Most probably it has gone dry.
Ask your mechanic to remove the wheel and outer tie-rod end from the knuckle. Once the tie-rod is free from knuckle, move it in different directions and check if it is hard to move or if it makes any noise.

I am saying this because the inner tie-rod ball joint not only moves when the car is steered but also when the wheel moves up and down.
Checked that yesterday, inner tie-rod ball joint seems to be ok.
There was no noise when the movement was up and down.

Creaking noise observed from rack assembly only when the movement was in side ways.
Old 15th May 2014, 19:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can somebody confirm the above statement?!
There is a steering damper in power steering unit. Ikon has one. Your mechanic does not know what he is talking about, go to someone else please.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2014, 23:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for one liner.
Can you please tell how to trace where the steering damper is located?
Old 29th May 2014, 20:09   #37
BHPian

Today went to garage to check this noise issue again.

1. Removed RH tyre, while rotating the steering towards right side noise was still there and its indeed coming from rack assembly only (Feel the noise by keeping the hand on rack assembly).

2. Removed LH tyre, while rotating the steering towards any side there was no noise

As per mechanic when load is there (i.e tyre is connected on either side), because of some problem in rack assembly this noise is coming.

There is no leakage of oil from rack assembly. He is recommending to go for replacement, since repairing itself will cost around ~5k, depending on what went wrong inside the rack.

Also after opening the rack, there is no guarantee that it can repaired.

Gurus, please advice
Old 30th May 2014, 00:38   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Today went to garage to check this noise issue again.
Gurus, please advice
Sorry for the bad news mate, but I'm afraid you're going to need a new rack if the rack is the problem. I've had an Ikon with a faulty rack, the chances of it being repairable are very slim, and what's more than likely is that you're going to pay the 5k for repairing the rack, it will either not be repaired or the repair won't hold, and you're going to have to shell out 15k more (or whatever it costs nowadays) for a new rack from Ford.

Just replace the rack when the noise gets worse, and get yourself some peace of mind.
Ponkermania is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 17:29   #39
BHPian

Hi guys, similar story. Car met with an accident and the lower suspension arm for the left front impacted well was changed. So was the ball joint, the strut and the strut mount. There was no vibration issue in the steering and after two months now there's a gradually increasing clicking sort of a sound when steering.. Especially dry steering or in the first gear.

I've noticed my Santro xing seems to align itself and pull to the side it's turned to prior to driving straight. Shocking? But true

I've bought new front tires and had them aligned twice.. Both time the toe varied a good amount. The noise now makes me believe the steering is out. I've had the car raised on a lift and inspected but the tyre guys say it's all good. Mostly the cars fine, but the steering noise is now worrying.
Old 26th March 2015, 21:17   #40
BHPian

Took my 5 year old Swift VDi(done 55000 Kms) to MASS to check the thud and clunk sounds that are audible while going over rough surfaces. MASS found problems with the front stabilizer joint, steering rack plunger, and tie rod. They machined some component on the lathe and now the sound has gone away.

I dry steer a lot as I park in tight spaces. I am starting to wonder whether my driving habit has contributed to the excessive wear to the steering components. Has other Swift owners faced this issue? Please comment.
Old 26th March 2015, 22:40   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks2010 View Post
They machined some component on the lathe and now the sound has gone away.
Which part is it? Do you have any further info / snaps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aks2010 View Post
I dry steer a lot as I park in tight spaces. I am starting to wonder whether my driving habit has contributed to the excessive wear to the steering components.
Dry steer will contribute excessive wear on steering system by putting more load on each and every part. But that isn't the only cause of excessive wear. Driving habit and road condition also contribute for the same.
Old 15th January 2016, 14:11   #42
BHPian

Last week I had given my Elantra Fluidic for servicing. One of the problem which I mentioned to them is about a noise which comes when steering. Also, when the vehicle goes over some bumps there is a particular "kluck,kluck" noise coming from the front right suspension.
SA said that this is caused because the steering rack assembly has been damaged. It has to be replaced as they do not repair it. Luckily my vehicle is under warranty, so I don't have to pay anything for the replaced steering assembly.
What I don't understand is how this part got damaged. I drive very carefully and am a very sedate driver. No doubt, there are a lot of speed breakers and bumps I encounter on many of my journeys, but I don't recall any incident where I would have hit a speed breaker at extreme speeds.
Is it normal for this part to go bad frequently? Is there any particular driving method to be followed to reduce this occurrence.
Old 6th July 2017, 17:31   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Last week I had given my Elantra Fluidic for servicing. One of the problem which I mentioned to them is about a noise which comes when steering. Also, when the vehicle goes over some bumps there is a particular "kluck,kluck" noise coming from the front right suspension.
I have this similar problem with my Hyundai i20 elite. It's only been 2 years and done around 9k kilometres on the odo. I'm facing a noise from the front left suspension like some part is left loose and it makes "tak-tak"
I went twice to the service centre they couldn't detect the problem at first and now they're saying that it is the steering rack assembly that has been damaged. My vehicle is also under warranty and I've told them to proceed with the replacement. The thing which I'm not getting is does this problem occurs with Hyundai's only? They're also saying that maybe there would be some problem with the suspension too. But the odometer reading is only 9k and mostly it is just city drive. Don't know how this problem occurs?
Old 6th July 2017, 18:04   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaljain View Post
I'm facing a noise from the front left suspension like some part is left loose and it makes "tak-tak"
I went twice to the service centre they couldn't detect the problem at first and now they're saying that it is the steering rack assembly that has been damaged.
I hear that 'tak-tak" noise in the front left suspension too. It cannot be steering rack problem as then its noise will not come from outside. I think it is because of the suspension. It mostly occurs when going over those black/yellow rubber bumps.
I haven't brought it to the attention of service center guys as they will just say change suspension.
I think these Hyundai vehicles do have steering rack issues. Maybe other owners can relate their experiences if any.
Old 9th July 2017, 12:32   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
I hear that 'tak-tak" noise in the front left suspension too. It cannot be steering rack problem as then its noise will not come from outside. I think it is because of the suspension. It mostly occurs when going over those black/yellow rubber bumps.
I haven't brought it to the attention of service center guys as they will just say change suspension.
I think these Hyundai vehicles do have steering rack issues. Maybe other owners can relate their experiences if any.
I got the entire steering assembly changed and now it seems like the noise is somewhat reduced to a great extent. I guess you should also get yours checked. There might be some problem with the oil seals on the assembly which I guess can only be solved by changing the whole assembly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks