Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2008, 01:15   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
I am a first hand witness to it.

And once that beast is on road, once actually looks for it from 1 km ahead itself, as the music can be heard from a long distance.
All thanks to the 3" down pipe and the two magnaflow race series mufflers! The car dangerously loud, if i may say so, at 7000rpms of 3 litre V6.
Old 14th September 2008, 10:24   #32
BHPian

Iknow its fun to rev your engines, but do keep in mind that 80 percent of the wear and tear in the engine takes place at the top 20 percent of the performance envelop of any engine.

Now that does'nt mean red lining is essentially bad. In the course of normal driving if you need to revv to get out more power from your engine to over take, climb inclines or some times just for outright fun you are doing just fine.

Now however if you make this a regular practice expect a lower engine life than what you can expect otherwise with sane driving practices.

Last edited by Torque-ative : 14th September 2008 at 10:44.
Old 14th September 2008, 10:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
hi all,

i have a swift. its very new. its an LXI so has no tacho.
what kinda engine speeds should i keep controlled to?

i wanted to clear another thing. why do people say that you cant rev the car preperly for the first 1000 kms? whts the point? they dont change the engine oil during the first servicing, but the second one at 5000 kms. so why wait till 1000 kms.

as far as i know.... running in means driving slow till the oil is changed for the first time. and after that you can start.

techys please advice.

and another thing. wil i lose my warranty if i get an aftermarket tacho in?
Yes , but sometimes you have open the throttle and let her rip , but don't do it all the time .
Old 14th September 2008, 12:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
i wanted to clear another thing.

as far as i know.... running in means driving slow till the oil is changed for the first time. and after that you can start.
Running in is done to allow the moving parts to bed/mate properly with each other. Change of oil is not the reason.
Also, to change oil after the first 1000 kms would be very much to the advantage of the engine. And please do not forget the gearbox and the diff!
I am aware that many makers recommend the first change at 5000 kms, but if you plan to keep your vehicle for long and do big mileages, it would be in your interest to have all oils changed after the first 1000 kms.
Old 14th September 2008, 12:42   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

I have actually been advised by BMW service engineer to floor the engine frequently enough to get rid of the rich fuel mixture that develops due to the car idling in traffic. The rich fuel mixture is let out as black smoke.

Although i do drive pretty hard when i get a chance at night, I usually keep her within 4000rpm max.

Last edited by Sahil : 14th September 2008 at 12:44.
Old 14th September 2008, 12:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueative
Iknow its fun to rev your engines, but do keep in mind that 80 percent of the wear and tear in the engine takes place at the top 20 percent of the performance envelop of any engine.
This is why I set the shift light in my car to 500 rpm lesser than rev-limit.
I also don't believe in extending rev-limit electronically in factory engines.
Old 14th September 2008, 13:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
, but do keep in mind that 80 percent of the wear and tear in the engine takes place at the top 20 percent of the performance envelop of any engine.
Another little fact worth knowing is that most of the wear & tear of bearings occurs during start up and shut down. In all other running situations there a hydrodynamic film of oil that precludes metal to metal contact in bearings.
So, should you be turning off your engine at each traffic signal red light?
Old 14th September 2008, 15:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
Awww man, i redline my car every gear everytime i drive.. and even if im stuck in traffic there are enough people around me to coax me into letting out a little roar from the exhast.

Start charging Rs.45/- for each roar , coz I am sure your car must be "drinking" heavily !!!

On a serious note that may be why you get 5 kmpl. But I have heard your car prowling at sedate RPM's or just crawling, the exhaust note even then is a DEEP ROAR - which for most people is enough of a treat.

Cheers
Old 14th September 2008, 15:28   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I redline the car once a while. Then I realize its in neutral and I'm stuck in a traffic jam.
Aha, me too. It used to happen quite frequently when I started hyper-miling a few months back using pulse and glide technique. Now I know that most of the time its in neutral .
appuchan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2008, 08:07   #40
BHPian

After the cat-back FFE install my gear changes have gone up to 3500-4000RPMS.
But twice or thrice a day i redline 1st and 2nd gears when i come across an empty strech.
Modern car engines are desinged to withstand such antics on a regular basis so dont think this is harmful, once in a while, but yes if you regularly indulge in redlining every gear and you consider the public road as a race track then you sure are calling for trouble.
Old 14th March 2012, 19:32   #41
BHPian

Re: Revving the engine.. How often do you do it

Sorry to bring up a very old thread. I have a Manza QJD and my mom told that the driver frequently revvs the engine from 1.8K to 3.5K-4K when taking from 1st or while in 2nd/3rd gear. Any idea how bad is this on the Fiat engine? Can that engine take such an abuse? I rarely redline the petrol cars I drive and never drove a diesel. So any suggestions are welcome.
Old 14th March 2012, 21:50   #42
BHPian

Thanks for bringing up this thread.
How rev friendly are Ford engines? I have a Figo 1.2 and have redlined it couple of times in 2/3rd. Any issues with same? And I love to revv the engines.
My humble Honda Dio is in upper band 50% of time.
Old 14th March 2012, 22:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

In my view a controlled revving(but how) has given some better results even during the engine running period.
I have this experience both in my Fiero and Swift.
Myself and my friend got Fiero and Pulsar almost at the same time(this happened during 2002). Driving habits/terrain/ are almost common but for some quick revving from my side. What I do is, take it to the Kodai hills( as I was located at the foot hills) and go for a brisk revving for a shorter period - maybe for some 15 kms in the hills ~ 25 to 30 min, in a frequency of once in two months.
I felt the difference of opening the engine and advised him to do the same. But he refused and told taking a bike before 10K to hills with make the engine seize(dont know how the people in hill areas drive). He was very careful that he does not cross 90km for the entire 10K kms.
After 10K, he told that the bike is perfectly set and can rev hard. Then when we took for a straight line fight, the pulsar never was smooth after 90kms and the top speed was less compared to Fiero. Most importantly engine did not sound healthy and was making actually noise inside of sound.

I repeated the same after 5 years in my swift, and I feel the engine is perfect when driving in all rpm band. But I cannot advise this openly to all, as there is only a hair line gap between this and making worse for your engine.
Until you realize what your engine speaks to you, dont do this.
Old 14th March 2012, 22:55   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
In my view a controlled revving(but how) has given some better results even during the engine running period.
I have this experience both in my Fiero and Swift.
Oops! Another RUN-IN vs BREAK-IN.
Old 15th March 2012, 01:14   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
frequently revvs the engine from 1.8K to 3.5K-4K when taking from 1st or while in 2nd/3rd gear. Any idea how bad is this on the Fiat engine? Can that engine take such an abuse?
Till 3.5k is fine, or max till 4k. And, there is no point in revving after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
How rev friendly are Ford engines? I have a Figo 1.2 and have redlined it couple of times in 2/3rd. Any issues with same?
Even though its not as much fun as revving a Honda, there is nothing wrong in redlining the Figo's engine occasionally. I redline my 1.3 Rocam engine almost everyday I take her out.
Quote:
And I love to revv the engines.
Even I love to revv.. The feeling when the car hits the revv limiter in 2nd and sometimes in 3rd is orgasmic!
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks