Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2008, 22:56   #1
BHPian

Revving the engine.. How often do you do it

Hi All,
I have recently bought a civic and many of my friends who own honda cars and especially vtec ones keep insisting that I should revv the engine once in a while. They keep telling me that Vtec engines are designed to redline and will not cause damage at all. The engine should be revved so that it opens up properly etc..

I try to do this once in a while but its practically not possible to do it often, especially in bangalore. While doing it, I try to raise the car mostly on 2nd gear to go all the way up. However, I turn into a chicken when I hear the heavy growling of the engine around 4K rpm. I havent found the courage to go beyond that, due to the growling.
Once I asked the Honda service center guy while he was sitting in my car at the wheel and he said its absolutely no problem.. and almost stood on the throttle peddle in neutral all the way upto redline and showed me that auto cutoff which tries to bring down the rpm. All this while my heart almost stopped beating.

So is it normal to do this. Ihave read here from many many people that this revving sound is like music to them and that they love to see and hear the car redline. So is it just me who turns into a chicken while everybody else enjoys it ??
Can some gurus please clear this confusion in my mind. Also plz let me know if this revving helps the engine in any way and if its not done, is my engine missing some excitement in its life ?
Old 13th September 2008, 00:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

lol i do it everytime i drive even if its in first. at 4k rpm in 2nd you wouldnt be doing more than 65kmph. it can do a hundred. i suggest you take it to the redline in first. you will enjoy it.
Old 13th September 2008, 00:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

There is nothing wrong with revving the engine while driving everyday and its not gonna cause any harm too.. Besides VTEC's, MIVEC's etc are designed to produce power only at the higher end and inorder to get the full performance from the engine it must be revved accordingly.

But always driving AT the redline for a long time will damage the engine. And also try not to hit the limiter and shift gears just before the limiter cuts in.
Old 13th September 2008, 00:50   #4
BHPian

It depends on what you call revving the car, how much, its usually not advised to free rev the car especially with the clutch depressed till the redline. Never do this.

honestly as of late i drive a WagonR duo to work and back, i need to rev the engine of this two year old gem, to find out if there's something wrong with the regulator diaphragm (LPG regulator equipment) in the car. There are times this fails, this is the most failure prone part of the LPG equipped car. The car jerks if there's some air in the line/LPG.

Don't ever rev the innova, no need to . Else other cars are no need to rev them. Not in the "boyzone" era of life.

Want to move to a diesel Swift.

Hope this helps,
Old 13th September 2008, 10:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Its more common in the diesels due to the soot and to cleanup the catalytic conv of the soot particles. But dont do it with the clutch pressed, can be done in neutral.
Old 13th September 2008, 10:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
It depends on what you call revving the car, how much, its usually not advised to free rev the car especially with the clutch depressed till the redline. Never do this.

I didn't know this. Could you please explain how.
Old 13th September 2008, 10:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

i always do it by mistake while driving the padmini - the exhaust note makes me do such mistakes.

the palio wakes up post 4K - the intake growl is sweet
Old 13th September 2008, 11:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, modern MPFI or M series engines does not require the engine to be revved up. It was common only in case of Diesel cars andthat too old cars. Present cars with CRDI and DDIS developed by Delphi and Fiat does not require to be revved up. But for diesel cars, you can do it once in a while.
Old 13th September 2008, 11:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have recently bought a civic and many of my friends who own honda cars and especially vtec ones keep insisting that I should revv the engine once in a while. They keep telling me that Vtec engines are designed to redline and will not cause damage at all. The engine should be revved so that it opens up properly etc..
You dont have to redline it every time. All you need to do is make sure you revv it to a point where the high lift lobes get activated.

I on the other hand drive pretty much in the vtec zone. Hehe

Shan2nu
Old 13th September 2008, 12:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

the overall lightness, compression ratio makes petrol engines revv happy. Even badly maintainted petrol cars have been revved. Hondas...always a breez to revv.
Old 13th September 2008, 12:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

I prefer not to rev the engine beyond 3,000 rpm under any circumstances.
Old 13th September 2008, 12:24   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post

Don't ever rev the innova, no need to . Else other cars are no need to rev them. Not in the "boyzone" era of life.
uh... why not?
Old 13th September 2008, 12:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
I didn't know this. Could you please explain how.
Hi T, not a stupid question at all, when you keep the clutch pressed, and rev the car, one side of the clutch friction face faces the fast revving clutch friction plate. When the clutch is depressed the two plates move away. Not to much but marginally.

Now depending upon the tolerances or gap between the two plates (it varies according to use and age of the clutch plates). If there's a very little gap there are chances of the face wearing out resulting in premature clutch wear.

Again, frequent pressing of the clutch pedal wears out the pressure plate, the mechanical disc which exerts pressure on the friction plate. This is very very marginal but yes.

Hope this helps
Old 13th September 2008, 12:44   #14
BHPian

Akshay - I dont rev the Innova because it performs brilliantly.

Not a problem with it at all ever. !

Beautiful car.

cheers

Last edited by mmmjgm : 13th September 2008 at 12:46.
Old 13th September 2008, 13:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Araje, let's put it this way: Revving to redline is definitely not required.
But do rev to high numbers (typically 80-85%) every so often. This has nothing to do with 'problems' that your car will give if you do not do it. This is simply a way to 'blow out' collected deposits from the system. Helps to keep it a bit cleaner on the inside.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks