Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2021, 09:38   #61
BHPian

Re: Revving the engine.. How often do you do it

With all due respect, unfortunately, that is not true. In an oil cooled turbo charger, the feed line is directly connected to it and its the job of the oil pump to ensure the oil supply is met. The pump does not have the AI to distinguish between revving in neutral or revving up under load. Oil flow to the turbo charger is constant via an oil restrictor.

What is true though is that one should NOT rev a turbo charged engine and shut it off immediately as the oil pump which in most of the cases is mechanical, shuts of the oil supply to the engine and thereby to the turbo oil feed and that can cause the turbo to fail if this cycle is repeated over and over again.

Ideally, just like its recommended to let the engine idle a bit before moving, its recommended to let the engine idle a bit before shutting it off.

The new age CRDI turbo diesels love to be driven hard, and one should stretch its leg whenever possible to have the engine/exhaust clear of soot.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
If you have a turbo charged engine, NEVER, rev an engine in neutral. The reason for this is that your turbo is spooled up with the revving, but engine oil is not circulating. Understand a good turbo can rev as high as 100,000 RPM and you can understand what damage can be done if there is no lubrication for long periods of time.

What I will suggest is take the car out maybe one night a week and find some long and empty roads and do a drag or two. Should be satisfactory

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 6th July 2021 at 09:41.
Old 6th July 2021, 09:45   #62
BHPian

Hitting the limiter on any kind of an engine over and over again is detrimental. Without getting into the depths of hard and soft limiter, the simple thumb rule is that one should not hit and sustain bouncing off the limiter. When the engine hits the limiter, it sends a shockwave through it and that can cause serious damage by damaging the bearing, rods and in some cases piston ring lands could crack, thereby damaging the bore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKT777 View Post
BHPians, it will be great if someone could clarify these above concerns with suitable explanations and examples so that we don't have to rely on hear-say and personal testimonials. A good explanation would trump hunches and innuendo any day....would help me a lot as well...please!

Last edited by Aditya : 6th July 2021 at 15:46. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 6th July 2021, 10:08   #63
Senior - BHPian

I used to enjoy revving my old Figo petrol in both neutral and when on the move, the free flow exhaust made it fun. But with my Aspire diesel, I never feel like revving it in neutral after trying it few times. Even while driving, the only gears I rev high is in post 2nd and that too to clear soot.
Same with a 2005 Swift with the 1.3 petrol engine. It feels too coarse to rev in neutral and in the first couple of gears but has a nice note when revving in third and fourth.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks