Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 16:44   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,
The Accent / Viva CRDis were three cylinder Detroit Diesel developed ones and are no longer in production / use.

The other vehicles you mentioned are using 4 cylinder Hyundai developed engines.
Detroit Diesel did not develop the engine used in Accent CRDi, they developed the one that was sold in Elantra CRDi, Hyundai later modified the engine for Accent by chopping off a cylinder.

The Reliability of the 3 cylinder engine in Accent has always been suspect unlike the Elantra CRDi.
Old 10th May 2010, 18:49   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
...the front right wheel locked...

...no side pulls were there. Skid was around 50 feets in straight line.

...front tyres are 30-40% more worn out compared to the rear ones (understand the heavy engine).
Check the brake system - your rear brakes may not be actuating. Could either be due to worn out rear brake shoes, or a hydraulic issue there (?failed LSPV? / ?air lock in rear wheel cylinders?). As a result the front tyres are doing all the braking, are wearing out faster, and locking up easily.
Old 10th May 2010, 19:13   #78
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Detroit Diesel did not develop the engine used in Accent CRDi,
The Reliability of the 3 cylinder engine in Accent has always been suspect unlike the Elantra CRDi.
Thanks for the correction.

I had the chance to have a Viva with that engine, but only for 11 months / 21000kms. Sold it for other reasons.
Old 17th May 2010, 21:48   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Check the brake system - your rear brakes may not be actuating. Could either be due to worn out rear brake shoes, or a hydraulic issue there (?failed LSPV? / ?air lock in rear wheel cylinders?). As a result the front tyres are doing all the braking, are wearing out faster, and locking up easily.
Since the car was in native till this month, i did check with family and got an update like brakes and allignment were tested few weeks before the Bangalore trip and there is no chance for failures so early.

Anyhow decided to change the tyres (though few more life is left), thinking of doing an sizing upgrade also. Lemme check when I go native this week.
Old 24th May 2010, 11:06   #80
Senior - BHPian

Tyres changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Since the car was in native till this month, i did check with family and got an update like brakes and allignment were tested few weeks before the Bangalore trip and there is no chance for failures so early.

Anyhow decided to change the tyres (though few more life is left), thinking of doing an sizing upgrade also. Lemme check when I go native this week.
Guys,

Got all the 4 tyres changed to Falken 175/70/R13 imported tubeless and drove 600KMs absolutely no issues. Car is very stable even at 150KMPH, now i am a happy man again . Thanks for the support.

Note from Mod: Queries answered and issues resolved. Now going off-topic, hence closing thread

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2010 at 10:43. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Old 29th October 2012, 18:27   #81
BANNED

Accent CRDi Engine problem whether to rebuild the engine once again? Help me

I own an Accent CRDi 2006 that has clocked 92,500 KMs on the ODO, served me and my family extensively.

During Feb 2012, while travelling from Chennai to my native, on the Bangalore NH, just before Kancheepuram, my car stopped. I have just taken delivery from authorised service station at Chennai after routine maintenance. After repeated requests Road side assistance of Hyundai from Chennai came all the way near to Kancheepuram, verified and told that timing belt has gone and it cannot be fixed, it has to be taken to the service station. (Kancheepuram authorised service station has conveyed that they were not in a position to send a person to verify the car stranded near their service centre…. I lost 5K and valuable time by standing in middle of the highway alone for Chennai team to visit and confirm the problem)

Inspite, next day morning I got it towed to the Hyundai service station at Kancheepuram. Only after 2 days the mechanics ripped the engine head and engine told that it needs a complete rebuild. Approximately the cost will be around 1.5 lakhs to 2 lakhs. I was astonished with the quote.

Through a known contact, got in touch with an ex mechanic of Hyundai, towed the vehicle from Kancheepuram to Chennai, shelled out 75 K for rebuild and used the car till now.

Now, I am facing starting problems, on verifying with the local mechanic at native, he says that engine doesn’t provide enough compression, lot of black smoke at the rear end…. (as on date the car is lying idle without being used due to frequent starting problem and more over it is being used by my better half)

Checked with the guy who did the rebuild… without any consideration he conveyed that you have misused your vehicle and hence the engine has gone bad, need to do the complete engine work once again and quoted the same cost for the rebuilding again….

After rebuilding the engine, I have done roughly around 4000KMs

Now I am in a dilemma, whether to send the car to Hyundai authorised workshop at Salem (as it is near to my native ) for rebuilding the engine with warranty or dispose off the car in the same condition? (on checking with the local mechanic, he advised to go for a rebuild of the engine and retain the car as all other parts and car is in a good condition)

I would like to have opinion of the members before taking any decision
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks