Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 14:57   #46
BHPian

what exactly has been done on the engine? you mentioned boring? do you get oversize pistons for the CRDi or did you mean honing and putting in new piston and rings?

can you mention what all you have had done?
Old 21st October 2008, 11:03   #47
Senior - BHPian

@silver_shadow, pistons and rings are changed for sure. I'm in bangalore now so couldnt check the breakup cost and details of work done.

@anupmathur, I lost my confidence on Hyundai atleast for Diesel engines. My relative has a UNO D which has just now completed 300000 kilometers without an overhaul. And in my experience no other diesels incuding Amby or M&M has such a short life.
Old 21st October 2008, 11:58   #48
Senior - BHPian

jacs good to know that you car is back...

Am not surprised one of my friends car also had to be overhauled (@ 55k kms i guess), also few years back when i was considering to buy a used H CRDI i was told by someone who used to work in a Hyundai dealership that it was not a good idea...and told me about the engine related issue.

am glad that i dint go for it!
Old 24th October 2008, 15:17   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hi lohith, u have taken a wise decision .
Old 5th May 2009, 12:12   #50
Senior - BHPian

Guyz,

Car is doing great after 5K of overhaul. Only grief is the engine sound is bit high than before and the FE has reduced a bit. Though I am quite happy about the car, our driver is constantly requesting to sell her off and avoid further expenses. We are still happy to keep her if she would run healthy for another 50K.

Need an advice from the experienced fellows who overhauled their CRDis and still using it.
Old 12th May 2009, 12:09   #51
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a suggestion from the experienced people
Old 14th May 2009, 14:40   #52
Senior - BHPian

I would say "sell it off". CRDI's are known to give issues around 80 K (mine has done only 43K now, but you can check with guys who own/service CRDI's).

If you consider only the monetary part, maintaining old CRDI will be cheaper compared to a new one. But if you consider the peace of mind and comfort offered by the new vehicle (especially if you do long drives) it is worth investing
Old 14th May 2009, 15:07   #53
Team-BHP Support

I might get kicked from Hyundai fans but based on feedback from two of my very close friends, who have used hyundai crdi's in the past, i would suggest to check up on the following.

What was the original reason for failure? Did it happen without any particular reason? and is the car back to its original performance after the job?

A well rebuilt engine shouldnt fail again soon.

Both my friends car's faced engine issues and had to shelve out heavy expenses at 50 and 60k kms, one of these again started showing symptoms after 10k kms of the job. Both these cars (Accent and Elantra) were well kept with only dealer service. They do good amount of highway trips and sold the cars due to the peace of mind factors.

One of them moved on to buy a Laura and the other a Tavera lol.

On the other hand another friend with a Tucson is quite happily running around with very high mileage engine.

Maybe others who have done high mileage can comment further.
Old 14th May 2009, 22:43   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Guyz,

Car is doing great after 5K of overhaul. Only grief is the engine sound is bit high than before and the FE has reduced a bit. Though I am quite happy about the car, our driver is constantly requesting to sell her off and avoid further expenses. We are still happy to keep her if she would run healthy for another 50K.

Need an advice from the experienced fellows who overhauled their CRDis and still using it.
High clatter is normal, diesel engine tends to do that after ir comes of age. But i have seen this three cylinder run as much as 3lac kms, without major issue and timely service. Yeah! noise is there ofcourse.

ALso please note that quality of overhaul and the experience of the person who did it matters a lot. Head job, block work are precession work. Normally people outsource, even A.S.S. outsource them to other people in the area. they have like 10 heads and block to do in a day. So you can imagine the quality.
Old 15th May 2009, 10:29   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Normally people outsource, even A.S.S. outsource them to other people in the area. they have like 10 heads and block to do in a day. So you can imagine the quality.

I think almost every A.S.S outsource this job, since its high precision/skilled work. Most of them dont have lathe's, boring machine etc.
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:39   #56
BANNED

Even if the enine is over hauled , the injectors will probably die at 70-80k kms . Each injector costs around 18,000 rs .

My guess is that the car has some ECM problems . The same injectors do duty in so many other engines , but they do not generally fail , but on an accent crdi they are prone to failures . Another thing is the premature bore /rings .pistons failure .

Reboring should definitely cost around 30K plus excluding labour charges , but I dont think it would be wise to actually keep the car . Best bet is to just dispose it .
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:59   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

SS-Taveller had a similar issue and he fixed it outside IIRC. Was a rocker arm I think. You can PM him.

Did they ever say what exactly was the source of the noise?
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:04   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Even if the enine is over hauled , the injectors will probably die at 70-80k kms . Each injector costs around 18,000 rs .

My guess is that the car has some ECM problems . The same injectors do duty in so many other engines , but they do not generally fail , but on an accent crdi they are prone to failures . Another thing is the premature bore /rings .pistons failure .

Reboring should definitely cost around 30K plus excluding labour charges , but I dont think it would be wise to actually keep the car . Best bet is to just dispose it .
Err... aren't we being a little presumptuous here? As a former owner of a Viva CRDi, (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...06-063-km.html), I see no reason for anyone to find fault with a perfectly good car, and recommend to the world that owners of such cars dispose of them ASAP.

May I reiterate here, that I have had NO injector failure, NO engine failure, and certainly no ECM failure. The only time my engine cam cover was opened was because a rocker broke, and it is suspected the service centre did a bad job of replacing the timing belt to cause it.

And incidentally, the injectors are quoted at about 30k each by Hyundai, but are available outside for 7k (genuine Hyundai spares), and 3k (equivalents, which I am told work fine - never needed any).

My opinion of Hyundai as a company, however, is diametrically opposite that of the cars they produce.
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:19   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guyz,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
SS-Taveller had a similar issue and he fixed it outside IIRC. Was a rocker arm I think. You can PM him.

Did they ever say what exactly was the source of the noise?
@ jacs: I believe you've been duped by your service centre about the engine overhaul. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Carry on using the car if you are happy about it - I had to sell mine partly because it was too low for me to get into comfortably with a bad back, and partly because it had done almost 5 years/over 106,000 km of duty with me.

@ Mpower: I never needed an engine overhaul - just a rocker and camshaft change. Unless the head, valves, pistons, rings and crankshaft are touched, that's no engine overhaul.
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:39   #60
BHPian

to spend 50 k on a engine overhaul which may or may not have been needed is not done brother no oil consumption /no temp variation/no judder/no fe loss/no excessive smoke .
me thinks you have been conned.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks