Team-BHP - Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/47047-skoda-laura-problems-solutions-thread-11.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akki_5 (Post 2431770)
there you go: OCTAVIA 3 09 ON RIGHT MIRROR GLASS 267RAS HEATER+PLATE on eBay (end time 27-Jul-11 11:58:40 BST)
this will work for Elegance and L&K. If buying for an Ambiente, you can pick the cheaper one without a heater.

I desperately need to find these mirrors for my Superb. I dont think the Laura ones will fit. I search the store link that you gave above but they have it only till the 2008 Superbs.

Any idea where I can find them for my car?

Does Skoda offer it as an accessory ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 2506739)
I desperately need to find these mirrors for my Superb. I dont think the Laura ones will fit. I search the store link that you gave above but they have it only till the 2008 Superbs.

Any idea where I can find them for my car?

Does Skoda offer it as an accessory ?

Don't the Laura and Superb share the same ORVMs?

I don't think you will get the convex mirror from Skoda as an accessory.

My car has gone for it's 2nd servicing after doing 30000km. Now the guy from the service center calls me up and says that the front break pads have worn out and that they need replacement! But I am not entirely convinced with this. The breaking is as sharp as ever! I suspect they just want to clear the stock of break pads they have.
Info;
Skoda Laura
1year 6months old
30000km done.

Can some one help me out here. Does it really need replacement?

Quote:

Originally Posted by amar_1422 (Post 2528154)
! But I am not entirely convinced with this. The breaking is as sharp as ever! I suspect they just want to clear the stock of break pads they have.
Info;
Skoda Laura
1year 6months old
30000km done.

Sounds about right, mine were replaced around the 30000k mark

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santoshbhat (Post 2507012)
Don't the Laura and Superb share the same ORVMs?

I don't think you will get the convex mirror from Skoda as an accessory.

Even the Audi A4 comes with the same mirror. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by amar_1422 (Post 2528154)
My car has gone for it's 2nd servicing after doing 30000km. Now the guy from the service center calls me up and says that the front break pads have worn out and that they need replacement! But I am not entirely convinced with this. The breaking is as sharp as ever! I suspect they just want to clear the stock of break pads they have.
Info;
Skoda Laura
1year 6months old
30000km done.

If possible go and check the condition of the pads.
My laura has already done 42k kms on original pads.

PS : Life of brake pads depends alot on your driving style. They may wear out quickly if you have a habit of driving with a heavy right foot.

Guys, my Laura is about to go in for the 2nd servicing soon.
Are there any specefic expenses that I would need to take into account for?

Also, (I know its the wrong section), is 30k good enough to go in for tyre upgrades. The NCT5's are getting worse day by day. I have an overall feeling that they have gone more noisy.

Check the tread mate. My tires lasted 45k kms but with frequent puntures in the last 5k kms. I guess most modern tires scan easily last 40k kms+. However, if you are not happy with the NCT5's, no harm in changing them to better rubbers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar (Post 2531564)

Also, (I know its the wrong section), is 30k good enough to go in for tyre upgrades. The NCT5's are getting worse day by day. I have an overall feeling that they have gone more noisy.

Tyre life really depends on your driving style apart from other factors like wheel balancing and proper wheel and suspension alignments. AFAIK the Laura is known to eat up its tyres quicker than some of its lighter Japanese rivals like the Altis and Civic. 30~35K seems par for the Laura. Bridgestone Potenzas lasted for about 42K on my Corolla.

The noise on the Goodyears seem to increase over time where it tends to develop uneven wear on its ribs.

On my Laura, I had OEM fitment as Dunlop tyres. 2 of the tyres burst some time ago (around 25k mark), and looking at the tread, it had more or less half life left.
Given that it might be good for 40k+ kms, but I had to change the tyres and I went for Michellene Primacy LC.
Super quite and amazing grip this tyre offers, at least in comparison to OEM fitment.
Also, I upgraded the tyre size to same as Innova (205 65R15) instead of 205 55R15.
Now I can go over any hump without much hassle, which earlier would have scraped the center bottom part, which is a plastic/fibre "V" fitment.
Life of the tyre mostly depends on driving style as Santosh suggested in the previous post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar (Post 2531564)

1. Engine Oil: What oil do you use? Yours is a TDI? Skoda seem to be using non-synthetic engine oil for the TDIs and still charge heavily for the same. I went to service center this Saturday - simply to see what they actually use (wanted to buy 1L of Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 VW502.00/VW505.00 for my TSI - just a backup on a trip) and thought I will buy from them rather than buying from the Shell pumps in Hinjewadi. Nobody other than the GM-Service was aware of the "VW502/505" stuff. Finally I asked them to show me the barrel and confirmed they had what they claim. But it was not for the diesels. Please check that out. Then I went to the Shell pump and asked him the same. They had the Helix Ultra for the petrol engines and confirmed that Shell does not have any fully synthetic engine oil for the diesels.

2. OBD Scan: I have heard stories that they charge for this during service. The fact is - none of their routine work can proceed without this so there is no need for the customer to pay for this. If they ask you to pay, please take stand that if they (Skoda/dealer) are unable to do routine checks or debug a problem without the scan, then it should be included in the service.

3. Tyres: NCT 5's have been doing good on mine. On some sections of NH-4 , I experienced mind wobble at the steering when between 120 to 160) but not always. No wobble on N.I.C.E. road, Bangalore at all so I am not sure if it's the tyres/balancing/alignment or road surface issue. No noise so far (17000KM). But, you can try Yokohama sDB or some real performance tyres when opportunity comes. IMO, no need to change purely due to noise. Test the wobbling, go to N.I.C.E. road, Bangalore and let the speedo do a complete swipe...:uncontrol - that's the real test.

4. Wipers: If you need replacement, kindly check the prices and post here. Damn, we need a plan to deal with Skoda over long run!!!

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandpadhye (Post 2538927)
Then I went to the Shell pump and asked him the same. They had the Helix Ultra for the petrol engines and confirmed that Shell does not have any fully synthetic engine oil for the diesels.

I quite doubt the veracity of that statement. I have been using Shell Helix Ultra fully synthetic engine oil for my TDI. Have been buying from a local Shell wholeseller here. Mine is an Octy though but that shouldn't really make a difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandpadhye (Post 2538927)
4. Wipers: If you need replacement, kindly check the prices and post here. Damn, we need a plan to deal with Skoda over long run!!!
Cheers!

Wipers are priced at 1400 (for the Laura) at A**. You would be better off buying from outside.

Hi Guys,
Saw this post and immediately the eyes popped out !!!. can you guys have a dedicated skoda laura section in this forum ?. Does it exist on this forum. ?can you guide me to it ??

My Skoda has done 11k kms so far. Going by what i see here i am dreading the first service. hate to imagine what the costs would be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cesc (Post 2538944)
I quite doubt the veracity of that statement. I have been using Shell Helix Ultra fully synthetic engine oil for my TDI. Have been buying from a local Shell wholeseller here. Mine is an Octy though but that shouldn't really make a difference.

Sure, it's supposed to be a good oil and should serve well on any engine, but for the records, please check the API rating on the container. It does not have the required rating for the diesels (and I am only talking of the API ratings here. The VW ratings, are a big B.S. I think - just a way for VW group to form special cartels with the oil giants).

May be, when I go home, I will post a picture of the 1L Shell pack I have.

BTW, how old is your Octy? If it's old enough (i.e. from the time before Skoda switched to 1 Year/15,000KM intervals), do you remember what oil they were using at that time? At that time, I asked them how the existing cars can switch to such lengthy interval without any mods and they did not have any valid answers!!!

Also, all of a sudden VW gang lost interest in doing business with Mobil and now they claim that Mobil 1 is not VW approved...:uncontrol.

The bottom line is, I do not believe in anything that's spoken at Skoda!

If you get a chance, please visit the shell pumps and ask them for the best oils they have for diesels and petrols.

Finally, there are people who use Mobil 1 in their diesel cars while Mobil themselves claim that their right oil (fully synthetic variety) for the diesels is "Mobil Delvac 1", with real API CH rating and not "Mobil 1".

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandpadhye (Post 2538964)
Sure, it's supposed to be a good oil and should serve well on any engine, but for the records, please check the API rating on the container. It does not have the required rating for the diesels (and I am only talking of the API ratings here. The VW ratings, are a big B.S. I think - just a way for VW group to form special cartels with the oil giants).

I have gone by VW ratings (505 00). You have to trust that the manufacturer recommends you the right thing. The API rating for that oil is CF. Shell lists it on their India website as 'Fully Synthetic Motor Oil' as well. Here is the link to what I have been using:

Shell Helix Diesel Ultra - India

Quote:

BTW, how old is your Octy? If it's old enough (i.e. from the time before Skoda switched to 1 Year/15,000KM intervals), do you remember what oil they were using at that time? At that time, I asked them how the existing cars can switch to such lengthy interval without any mods and they did not have any valid answers!!!

My car is 6 years old and has done around 110k kms. And yes it was bought before the 1 year/15,000km interval came in. I don't trust Skoda A** at all and don't expect them to have answers to anything. I have had my fair share of trouble with A** which is why I very rarely visit them.

I have primarily got the oil changes done myself. Based on my experiences the oil that I have been buying (the one in the above link) is superior to what A** uses. The engine is a whole lot smoother without their oil in it.

Quote:

If you get a chance, please visit the shell pumps and ask them for the best oils they have for diesels and petrols.

No Shell pumps here buddy.

Quote:

Finally, there are people who use Mobil 1 in their diesel cars while Mobil themselves claim that their right oil (fully synthetic variety) for the diesels is "Mobil Delvac 1", with real API CH rating and not "Mobil 1".

Cheers!

From what I have read of in the oil thread on TBHP most are using Mobil Delvac ever since it has been made available in our country.