Team-BHP - Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/47047-skoda-laura-problems-solutions-thread-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akki_5 (Post 1544676)
1) is it completely safe to change the steering wheel on my Laura to the one with Controls as posted here: Octavia II RS Facelift 09 - MULTIFUNCTIONAL steering wheel incl.airbag : Skoda Tuning = superskoda.com
will i be able to use paddle shifters and audio controls available on this nice wheel?

Not sure this is straight forward, but if top-end model has those features, it is most likely that all hardware is present, none of the *** will do, sighting it is all controlled by ECU, but you may need to consult some expert mechanic.

Quote:

2) can a swap be made for the boring stock audio system with this nice touchscreen system available on the L&K only. posted here: Octavia II - touchscreen DVD navigation - COLUMBUS (RNS 510) - original SKODA AUTO, a.s. : Skoda Tuning = superskoda.com
is this advisable? as in, has anyone tried something like this before and does this cause any issues later?

This is possible, and IMHO, there is no risk. I was planning for this mod, but waiting for the warranty to expire before I do any thing like that, to make sure not void warranty!

Below link provides all the details that you are looking for to replace the audio system!
Octavia-vRS.com - MFD2 Install Guide

Quote:

3) has anyone tried these LED dome lights? are they better than the stock yellow light bulbs? posted here: Skoda Octavia II - interior LED dome light : Skoda Tuning = superskoda.com

I think this is done by few folks... Saw while browsing few days back.
I think if you search on tdiclub forum you will find some details.

Quote:

4) i wish to change the gear lever on my Octavia as the leather around the lever has completely worn out. any ideas? should i try this Octavia II 04-09 - special BLACK EDITION leather shifter 5M : Skoda Tuning = superskoda.com or just get some leather cover from Stanley?

IMHO, stainely would be good enough. Actually I changed the original gear lever cover with Stainly cover on my new car!

Hey
Thanks a lot for all the help!
Will keep you updated on any changes i do/get done.

Cheers :)

Under Boost Pressure issue resolved! Blame it on Rat!!

It is interesting when you visit your *** with enough data to show them and what I experienced was amazing!

So I go there at the service station in the evening, and the response?
Sir.... leave the car, we will check and get back to you tomorrow.

That didn't happen in my case! So had called up Mr. Patil and reached there in the evening, Mr. Patil was busy (expected, towards closure of business time), a service engineer is assigned, and a curtsy,
SA: "What is the problem you are facing with the car sir?"
Me: Let me show you..., pulled up my lap top, showed him first the VAG reading (where Boost Pressure Control: Pressure not reached was displayed)
SA: Sir, we will check... it may be because of some dust or some thing, sensor might have logged it...
Me: I don't think so.. Let me show you some thing more! Pulled up the graph that I had handy! rpm, boost specified and actual all plotted from 2 cars, see previous thread)!
Me: This is not a one of problem, I have an issue of Under Boost pressure! Boost pressure never goes beyond 1200 mbar! Seems like a problem??
SA: Yes sir, we will check, but now I cannot say anything more to you sir... you seem to know it very well..
Me: Not really... can you check following?
1. hose pipes connected to EGR is OK.
2. EGR and turbo are OK?
SA: yes sir I will check, we will let you know by tomorrow evening...
Me: What? No way, it doesn't even take 15 min to check the hose pipe connections... If this is not a problem with hose pipes, I'm not going to leave my car here anyway...
SA: Yes sir, we will check...

And then again a VAS (Skoda authorized diagnostic machine) testing is done and everything seem to be OK is the verdict by the mechanic who attended... stupid...
Me: Can you please check around EGR valve please? there must be either a hose pipe that has come out or loose...

And then what he reveals! 3 hose pipes are completely cut by some RAT!!

And the dent? Rs. 859/= on the pocket... but a big relief... It would have been a nightmare if it was turbo/EGR problem...

By this time, had a good chat with Mr. Patil and we went for a test drive, while I logged the Boost pressure again today! and suddenly every thing seemed just alright...

After this, i did feel smoother acceleration compared to before and felt little more powerful like before...
Good that my Laura is back and fit again within 2 hours of visit to ***, can you believe it?

Lesson: Gathering knowledge about the problem upfront helps get the problem sorted out quickly!

OK What is EGR? - Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve.
Below details gathered from internet!
The EGR valve, or Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve, is a vacuum controlled valve which allows a specific amount of your exhaust back into the intake manifold. This exhaust mixes with the intake air and actually cools the combustion process. Cooler is always better inside your engine. The exhaust your EGR valve recirculates also prevents the formation of Nitrogen related gases. These are referred to as NOX emissions, and are a common cause for failing emissions testing. Unfortunately, your EGR valve can get stuck, causing NOX gases to build up. You'll know if your EGR valve is stuck or malfunctioning because your car will experience symptoms like rough idle and bucking on acceleration.

Well, some experiments done!! And the out come?

1. ORVM heating enabled! It is nice... Need to get in the rains to really test it though!
2. Coming home and leaving home enabled! This is quite cool
- headlight comes on when you unlock the car for 10sec so that you can see surroundings!
- headlight comes on when you switch off the car and open the door to get out!
- All this only when it is dark
3. A sound system that adjusted itself to leather upholstry
4. Both Rear fog lights turned on (it is only driver's side that goes on when you switch on rear fog lights)

Sounds cool right? It is fun infact!!
One can also do following things:
- Anti-theft activation
- Remote locking/unlocking can be changed to blink+honk or just honk. Default is just blink

So just plug in the VAG-COM and change few settings and you're done!!
please:Caution:
1. Never use the absolute values given below in your car.

2. Make sure to check if any error code is generated after every code modified
3. Make sure to note down the default code and modified code (helps in reverting back if there is an DTC generated)
4. Some times error codes show up, but if you clear them, it goes away (I think this is just OK).
5. Below are only what I have tried on one car, may not be applicable to all cars!!

46 - Central conv
07 - Coding
Current Code, New Code:
99801A085283007F3F04850500085F01807CA0
99801A085283007F3F04850500C85F01807CA0

Byte9, Bit-2: Comfort closing via Rain Light sensor (rain closing) inactive

Byte13, Bit6: Anti Theft System activation confirmation Blink --> Changed
Byte13, Bit7: Anti-Theft System activation confirmation (Horn) --> Changed
Byte15, Bit0: Anti Theft system deactivated
Byte15, Bit1: Anti Theft disarming only via Remote control or immobilizer
Byte15, Bit2: Anti Theft active with interntional de-safe/interior monitoring inactive
Byte15, Bit3: Anti Theft alrm Delay (15 sec) inactive
Byte15, Bit5: Anti Theft system passive arming
Byte15, Bit6: Inclination sensor installed
Byte15, Bit7: interior monitoring installed
Byte16, Bit7: Siren configuration blocked
Byte17, Bit5: Tire Pressure Monitoring inactive

56- Radio, 07- Coding:
Current Code : 0000400
New Code : 0000420
00XXX?X - 0 = No correction, 1= Sound system with cloth interior, 2=sound system with leather interior
00XXX?X - +1=Active/Rmote supplied antenna, +2=CD-changer/IPOD connections, +4= CAN-Secondary Display

09 - Central Electronics
07 - Coding
Current : 41000E030004140043110D000000000000087F075C00000000 0000000000
New : E1000E031004140043110D000000000000087F075C00012000 0000000000

Byte0,Bit1: Xenon Headlights with shutter installed
Byte0,Bit2: Footwell lights installed
Byte0,Bit3: DRL active (scandinavia)
Byte0,Bit4: DRL active (North America)
Byte0,Bit5: Assistance Driving Light, Leaving Home active --> Changed
Byte0,Bit6: Rain-/Light Sensor installed
Byte0,Bit7: Coming Home active --> Changed
Byte2,Bit4: Coming Home Mode via (0=personalisation/1=light sensor) --> If light sensor enabled, I get DTC 02390 - Control /Regulation for Ambience Lighting (E400) -- 009 - Open or Short to Ground
Byte3,Bit1: Rear Fog lights (0=2 rear fog lights/1=1 rear fog light)
Byte4,Bit4: Activation of both Rear Fog lights --> Changed
Byte17,Bit4: Daytime Running Light via Fog Lights
Byte21,Bit6: Leaving Home Variant (0=LH in LDS/1=not LH in LDS)
Byte22,Bit0: Personalization (0=Variant1/1=Variant2) --> Changed
Byte23,Bit5: Coming-home Logic (0=Old/1=New) --> Changed

17- Instrument Cluster:
07- Coding
Current : 0002101
New : 0002101
: 00??X0X +01=Brake Pad warning, +02=Seatbelt Chime Enable; +04=Washer fluid warning

I have tested these on a Laura Ambiente, and it is just fun...
Imagine some customizations one can do to his vehicle, without really touching mechanically!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandbhat (Post 1548570)
Well, some experiments done!! And the out come?

1. ORVM heating enabled! It is nice... Need to get in the rains to really test it though!
2. Coming home and leaving home enabled! This is quite cool
- headlight comes on when you unlock the car for 10sec so that you can see surroundings!
- headlight comes on when you switch off the car and open the door to get out!
- All this only when it is dark
3. A sound system that adjusted itself to leather upholstry
4. Both Rear fog lights turned on (it is only driver's side that goes on when you switch on rear fog lights)

Sounds cool right? It is fun infact!!
One can also do following things:
- Anti-theft activation
- Remote locking/unlocking can be changed to blink+honk or just honk. Default is just blink

All this without any hardware change? Awesome! I have to try this. Too bad i don't have a VAG-COM cable. Will try and convince the workshop manager at *** to do it for me. I am dying to get the 'coming home and leaving home' lights like my E280 CDI. They are cool :thumbs up

my ORVMs don't heat up and don't dim the headlamps of trailing car even though Elegance variant has these features as per the website.
a check with the *** told me everything was ok :Frustrati and the ORVMs are programmed to heat only when ambient temperature goes below 20 deg cel. Something that will never happen in Bombay. btw, do you travel to Bombay (for business or other purposes) Anandji?

'coming home and leaving home" lights can be switch on in a laura ambient? **** that would be so AWESOME, i thought only the l&k get that feature, thats te feature i m dying for but i guess in the L&K laura the lights will only come ON in the night as the L&K has auto light asist(light sensor) which the ambient & elegance dont have, so in the ambient model the 'coming home and leaving home" must be coming on in the day too??
thanks..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berj79 (Post 1548811)
'coming home and leaving home" lights can be switch on in a laura ambient? **** that would be so AWESOME, i thought only the l&k get that feature, thats te feature i m dying for but i guess in the L&K laura the lights will only come ON in the night as the L&K has auto light asist(light sensor) which the ambient & elegance dont have, so in the ambient model the 'coming home and leaving home" must be coming on in the day too??
thanks..

The lights come on only during dark/night, not in day time! That is because along with rain sensor, there is a light sensor as well, I have verified this! May be will post some pics of the same. Only thing is, only headlights come on, as there is no second bulb on ORVM for ambeinte. Planning to get this bulb and a fitting on the lower side of the ORVM form *** next time around I visit them.
I now have the coming home/leaving home feature enabled on my car, without auto light assist!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akki_5 (Post 1548807)
All this without any hardware change? Awesome! I have to try this. Too bad i don't have a VAG-COM cable. Will try and convince the workshop manager at *** to do it for me. I am dying to get the 'coming home and leaving home' lights like my E280 CDI. They are cool :thumbs up

my ORVMs don't heat up and don't dim the headlamps of trailing car even though Elegance variant has these features as per the website.
a check with the *** told me everything was ok :Frustrati and the ORVMs are programmed to heat only when ambient temperature goes below 20 deg cel. Something that will never happen in Bombay. btw, do you travel to Bombay (for business or other purposes) Anandji?

1. ORVMs heat-up even in normal temperature, just like the rear windshield.
--> you need to set the ORVM electric adjustment knob to defrog position.
2. To dim the trailing car's headlight, I think this works only on inside rear view mirror, and not ORVM AFAIK.
3. Typically service station guys wouldn't be knowing it... (may be they are not taught to know it!), I had checked this before to no avail, had to get myself into it when I borrowed the cable from a friend, Androdev.

Akki, I don't travel to Mumbai, unless for a family function. :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandbhat (Post 1549385)
The lights come on only during dark/night, not in day time! That is because along with rain sensor, there is a light sensor as well, I have verified this! May be will post some pics of the same. Only thing is, only headlights come on, as there is no second bulb on ORVM for ambeinte. Planning to get this bulb and a fitting on the lower side of the ORVM form *** next time around I visit them.
I now have the coming home/leaving home feature enabled on my car, without auto light assist!

wow, so u dont have auto lights in your laura? youur headlights only work through manual? i read in other skoda forums that unless you dont have light assist in your car the lights will aslo come on during day time, wonder hows your are fine, SWEET its a kickass feature, i got the new FL Laura, hope this can be enabled through the vagom,
thanks..

Yes, I could do that.
Only thing that I was trying was TPM, without any success, but I think for TPM to work, it needs few mods both on the air valve on tyres, and display.
Since I don't have a dot matrix display, several features that need dot matrix to work, can't be made to work.

Quote:

1) is it completely safe to change the steering wheel on my Laura to the one with Controls as posted here: Octavia II RS Facelift 09 - MULTIFUNCTIONAL steering wheel incl.airbag : Skoda Tuning = superskoda.com
will i be able to use paddle shifters and audio controls available on this nice wheel?

Akki, found below thread, explaining how to change the steering wheel. May be of your interest!

Retrofitted multifunctional steering on vRS (a lot of pics) - BRISKODA - The Skoda Forums

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandbhat (Post 1549849)
Yes, I could do that.
Only thing that I was trying was TPM, without any success, but I think for TPM to work, it needs few mods both on the air valve on tyres, and display.
Since I don't have a dot matrix display, several features that need dot matrix to work, can't be made to work.

yes for TPM u will need maxidot, which only comes with L&K in india, i m surprised how the light sensors are there in the ambient model, very strange :Shockked:

Quote:

1. ORVMs heat-up even in normal temperature, just like the rear windshield.
--> you need to set the ORVM electric adjustment knob to defrog position.
2. To dim the trailing car's headlight, I think this works only on inside rear view mirror, and not ORVM AFAIK.
3. Typically service station guys wouldn't be knowing it... (may be they are not taught to know it!), I had checked this before to no avail, had to get myself into it when I borrowed the cable from a friend, Androdev.

Akki, I don't travel to Mumbai, unless for a family function. :eek:

1. I know that. lol:
2. On the Ambiente (old and FL), only IRVM dims but on the Elegance FL, all three mirrors (IRVM + 2 ORVMs) dim.
3. How much does this VAG-COM cable cost? Where to buy? Do we need to purchase any software to run this? please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berj79 (Post 1549820)
wow, so u dont have auto lights in your laura? youur headlights only work through manual? i read in other skoda forums that unless you dont have light assist in your car the lights will aslo come on during day time, wonder hows your are fine, SWEET its a kickass feature, i got the new FL Laura, hope this can be enabled through the vagom,
thanks..

I am guessing you have the FL Ambiente. Is it the 1.8 TSI or 1.9 TDI? I have the FL Elegance 1.9 TDI A/T. Welcome to the club.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandbhat (Post 1549849)
Yes, I could do that.

AFAIK, for TPM apart from the requisite software change, we also need a TPM sensor in each wheel. Atleast it's that way on the E280 CDI Elegance as per the Mercedes ***.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandbhat (Post 1549942)
Akki, found below thread, explaining how to change the steering wheel. May be of your interest!

Retrofitted multifunctional steering on vRS (a lot of pics) - BRISKODA - The Skoda Forums

Thank you :)

Quote:

:eek:

I got lucky this time. FL Elegance has puddle lamps below ORVMs. They light up upon unlocking. I really need to get the 'coming home and leaving home' feature, it's one of my favourite features on any automobile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akki_5 (Post 1550217)

I am guessing you have the FL Ambiente. Is it the 1.8 TSI or 1.9 TDI? I have the FL Elegance 1.9 TDI A/T. Welcome to the club.

thanks for the club membership:D i got the 1.8tsi ambient as only ambient trim is available for it, i also want to get the coming home ligts feature active in my car, as i always wanted this feature & always envied L&K owners:)
thanks..

When you put reverse gear, you would not like:
- ICE playing the song loud!
- Do you get irritated at times when the continuous beep of a fixed frequency which, though you get cautious about the obstacle?
- Volume of the parktronics beeps are too high?

Here is a solution!

Change following, to change the frequency of the buzz and volume!
76- Park Assist
10- Adaptation
Rear Buzzer volume - default=7, New value = 4 --> Volume is now reduced!
Rear Buzzer Freq - default=2, New=4, --> frequency reduced from high frequency to little lower frequency, better for ears!

Another trick!
Do you want to adjust the parking light brightness? Oh yes, if it is less bright, save some battery current drained, if it is less bright, increase the brightness to see your car from further distance!

Change following:
09 - Central Electronics
07 - Coding
Byte11, Decimal 0 to 70 changed --> Brightness reduced to 70% (front)
Byte12, Decimal 0 to 70 changed --> Brightness reduced to 70% (rear)

Use caution, mentioned in the previous post!