Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2009, 21:42   #16

Grinding noise/vibration while braking Honda City

@knp: Were you able to get the bushes replaced? Did that make the grinding sound go away?

@Abbas: I missed reading your post earlier - but you may be onto something. I recall that during the process of replacing the brake pads, the mechanic propped the car's front end off the ground with jacks, left the engine running in neutral, and used something like emery paper to "clean" each brake disk/rotor while it was spinning. He said this was to remove brake dust. While the disk did become shiny clean, I seem to recollect that it also left fine concentric grooves on the surface (kinda like a vinyl record)! Perhaps that's the culprit?

If that's the case, then I wonder if simply driving the car around normally will cause the grinding sound to go away on its own over time, as the grooves on the disk get worn down naturally due to friction?
Old 22nd April 2009, 14:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGON_R View Post
i had a similar kind of problem after servicing. got the brake calipers greased and the problem was gone. i think since the pads are new they are holding the discs in a better way but the brake caliper pins might be loose and so there is shuddering.
Exactly the same problem and exactly the same solution took place for my palio a week back after servicing.
Old 7th May 2009, 10:18   #18
knp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick_Blue View Post
@knp: Were you able to get the bushes replaced? Did that make the grinding sound go away?
?
@Quick_Blue, I am sorry for not updating you all on this. I got the bushes for 600/-, before the mechanic get them replaced, he wanted to drive and check it once again..as he himself does not believe that these bushes worn-out quickly. He feels that chassis bushes, in general, never get worn-out.

On further testing my vehicle, he had found that disc-brake pin, which used to have forward-backward play, whenever we apply the brakes, was damaged. the rubber washer around this pin was damaged and he had just put it properly and applied the grease. after that, we did around 3 kms test ride on applying the breaks at different speeds. Till now, I am not getting any such noise
Old 20th May 2009, 20:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Even I think I've already paid around 1000 Rs without any solution. Everytime they'll open the brakes or the check the suspension, change something here and there. And I still end up having the sound. And to my fault I was not checking what they were actually doing. This weekend I'm going to sit on their head to see that they do the work properly. I'm definitely gonna blast those people for sure.
Old 1st June 2009, 20:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

It seems the problem is solved by the mechs this time. Last to last weekend took the car to the garage and after the fix till now the sound is not there. So I'm keeping the fingers crossed that the problem is gone for good. What they did was to open the caliper pins and one of the pins they've covered with some copper foil as it was little loose. And also they've done the normal greasing of the pins.
Another thing they've done is to open the rear drums and cleaned the pads on my insistence. Now with these two changes even the braking has improved a lot, in fact the wheels almost got locked and the car stopped properly during a hard braking.
I'm just hoping that the noise won't come back again.
Thanks & Regards,
Old 6th September 2010, 12:03   #21
BHPian

Brake noise in Polo

Day before yesterday I took my VW Polo out for a short drive on the SH-17 Bangalore-Mysore highway along with 4 of my friends. Needless to say, they found it a bit cramped in the rear seats. I noticed when I braked a little hard at speed breakers, the brakes were emanating noise. It wasn't squealing noise. It was more of a grunting noise. This is worrying me.

I am wondering if this problem has been encountered by other Polo owners too or is it just with mine?

The car has clocked just 1500 odd KM and is about 2 months old.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:43   #22
Team-BHP Support

Were the brakes by chance wet, due to driving in rain or car washing? If so a wet pad can cause grunting noise sometimes while braking hard, till it dries.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2010, 13:17   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Were the brakes by chance wet, due to driving in rain or car washing? If so a wet pad can cause grunting noise sometimes while braking hard, till it dries.
Well I guess it was wet. I also noticed reduced braking power. I almost had to pump it real hard to stop. I haven't driven in a few days now. I shall find out if the noise still persists. I'm hoping its just a simple case of wet brakes. Thanks for the info Jaggu.
Old 16th December 2012, 11:24   #24
GRV
BHPian

Re: Occasional Grinding Noice while breaking at lowe speed in my C Class W204

Hi

My C class is now 3 months old , done around 2400 Kms. Recently I have noticed stange noise , when I press break at low speed (say while approching a speed breaker).

Strangely this happens not all the times, but say 40% of the time. The noise sounds like something ceramic was sticking with wheel, and now it is being forced away and hence the grinding noise

The noise get louder , if my steering wheel is fully turned on one side

Got my first free check done at the dealer. Mentioned the problem. he says he has do all the checking and could not find anything wrong.

But my problem persists. Some days it is very obvious, everytime when I break, and suddenly gone for days , no noise.

Could there be any problem with steering wheel also ?

I am going to the dealer again in a few days and want some advice possible causes so that I can have an informed discussion with the dealer

thanks
GRV
Old 16th December 2012, 12:05   #25
BHPian

re: Noise from the Brakes

In some cases, brakes squealing can also be caused by accumulated brake dust. Ask the service folks to check the drums and clean the pads. I think that should work. Also a little DIY: you could try wiping down your rotor and cleaning around the pads and see if the noise continues to emanate.

BTW a lot of C-class owners have complained of this issue. So keep us posted please.
Old 24th April 2013, 13:51   #26

Hi All, I also have a similar problem with my toyoto Corolla. 2003 Model. I hear a strange skreaking noise from my front right wheel when I am lightly applying the breakes.It goes creek....creek.... creek.... This noise vanishes when the break is pressed harder.
I was told that this problem may be because of the break disk surface, so I got the break disk changed, but the noise continues. I also had my break pads and caliper pin replaced but no luck.

Strangely whenever the caliper pin is greased this nose disappers completly and reappers over about 50 kms.

I am now being told by the mecanic that this nose is because of the clips that hold the pad may be loose....I am not sure about this.

Letely, I have also noticed another strange thud noise whenever I go over a small pot hole at high speed from the right front wheel. I feel is the break pad that is making the nosie. ( I tried checking this nose nose when stationary by hitting the tyre with the fist, and the nose is there also at that small impact)

Now, I have a new break pad, a new break disc and a new caliper pin as well but the nose continues.

I want this nose off now... I have no problems with breaking or pulling at all. Just the nose.
Old 24th April 2013, 16:02   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil.raddi View Post
Now, I have a new break pad, a new break disc and a new caliper pin as well but the nose continues.
Did you get all three changed at once? If not, it might be the reason. As bad brake discs will damage pads, which in turn will damage the newer replaced discs.
Old 25th April 2013, 09:10   #28

Yes Dhanushs, All were chenged in one go.
Old 11th June 2013, 14:39   #29
BHPian

My 5000 KM run WagonR Vxi is giving a sound while braking on slopes and inclines. This noise is more profund on slopes. I will be visiting the MASS tomorrow, to get this checked and will update accordingly. My question here would be, is it normal to have this problem in a car which has run only 5000 KMs.?/

Please suggest

Regards
Ritesh
Old 11th June 2013, 15:28   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
My 5000 KM run WagonR Vxi is giving a sound while braking on slopes and inclines. This noise is more profund on slopes.
The caliper pins are running dry, and will need greasing. MASS people charge stupidly inflated amounts for a little pouch of grease and the labour involved - though you may not need to pay labour charges at 5k km service.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks