Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2021, 21:13   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Noise from the Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsachin View Post
Is it normal for a car to have such differential front and rear brake pad wear. As per mechanic my front brake pads is as good as new. He thought I might have replaced them at last service. Even my rotors show uneven wear. Front rotors are as good as new, while rear ones show appreciable wear in the form of lines.
Yes, in my car the rear pads wear out faster. But that is by design NOT accident.

I would recommend you get your brakes check at a Hyundai ASC or a good FNG. Don't take a risk with brakes and tyres please lives depend on them.

Quote:
Should I continue with this new brake pads from "allied Nippon" or should I get them changed to some branded ones like Bosch, Roulunds, IGB or OEM. OEM ones are indeed expensive at Rs6000. Rest all are available for around 700 to 1000.
Never heard of this brand but the good after market ones are Brembo, Bosch, Delphi, Textar. You can also opt for OEM. Brake discs/rotors can be skimmed to resurface them. Also remember brake pads and rotors need bedding in. See here: Brake Pad & Rotor bed-in
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 21:55   #77
BHPian

Thanks sir ,now I know I did not do something in the right way. So as per your recommendation I should change my brake pads to a better brand and install the new one together with resurfaced rotors and later do a proper bed-in...
Old 8th March 2021, 10:24   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks sir ,now I know I did not do something in the right way. So as per your recommendation I should change my brake pads to a better brand and install the new one together with resurfaced rotors and later do a proper bed-in...
I would recommend you get your brake system checked and service. This includes a brake fluid flush if it hasn't been done in the past 2-3 years.

Once done change the brake pads to an established aftermarket option or with OEM parts.
Old 10th March 2021, 13:56   #79
BHPian

Thanks again sir. I have done the brake servicing as suggested. Done the disc rotor skimming, and new brake pads. Brake bleeding was also done.

After bedding in my brakes are definitely better then before. The bite is as good as it was when car was new.

Attaching photos of brake disc before after rotors
Attached Thumbnails
Noise from the Brakes-img_20210310_102127.jpg  

Noise from the Brakes-img_20210309_113517.jpg  

Noise from the Brakes-img_20210309_113520.jpg  

Noise from the Brakes-img_20210310_102158.jpg  

Noise from the Brakes-img_20210309_113512.jpg  

Noise from the Brakes-img_20210309_105410.jpg  

drsachin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 14:19   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again sir. I have done the brake servicing as suggested. Done the disc rotor skimming, and new brake pads. Brake bleeding was also done. After bedding in my brakes are definitely better then before. The bite is as good as it was when car was new. Attaching photos of brake disc before after rotors
Thank you for the update. Do follow bedding in procedures as I highlighted. This will result in the rotors and pad surfaces being ideally run in for best performance. Go easy for the first 400-500 kms
Old 10th March 2021, 14:56   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I recently underwent service at a Gomechanic workshop(JMS automobiles, Sahibabad). Since it was a lockdown, the ease of sitting at home and booking through app sounded good. The Hyundai ASS were closed in april in my area. While servicing they informed that my rear brake pads needed replacement. My car had run 75000kms and they were running on original pads. They did send photos of both front and rear brake pads. The rear brake pads were indeed very thin. The front brake pads were as good as new.
They changed rear brake pads to a company named "Compo Advics". I was given 20000kms warranty on these brake pads. Those brake pads worked ok for around around 2500kms but after that they started giving me issues. At slow speeds there was a whistling sounds from rear tyres. I stopped the car and checked on brakes and noticed that my rear brake rotors were as hot as a furnace, while the front rotors were just warm. There was a burning smell near rear brake pads.
I complained at Gomechanic ,and they suggested to bring the car back to workshop. They removed the brake pads and noticed some stray metal wires at some places on the brake pads. Later they changed these brake pads to new one from another company called "Allied Nippon". Now my car has run another 3000kms and no such issues.

I regularly check my brake pads now for damage and rotors for heating issues. I still notice that rear rotors are hotter compared to front ones but not furnace hot as before.

Few questions from fellow Team bhpians.
1. Is it normal for a car to have such differential front and rear brake pad wear. As per mechanic my front brake pads is as good as new. He thought I might have replaced them at last service. Even my rotors show uneven wear. Front rotors are as good as new, while rear ones show appreciable wear in the form of lines.

2. Should I continue with this new brake pads from "allied Nippon" or should I get them changed to some branded ones like Bosch, Roulunds, IGB or OEM. OEM ones are indeed expensive at Rs6000. Rest all are available for around 700 to 1000.
The caliper guide rods/slide pins are seized. That is the reason for the rear brakes to overheat. If the rear brakes are still heating much more than the front then you need to remove all the old dried up caliper grease from the guide holes using a brake cleaner , clean the caliper pins and apply small amount of fresh caliper grease and re-fit everything back. The heating is nothing to do with the brand of brake pads. Since the pins are seized, the pads are constantly touching the rotor and getting over heated. It is as if you are riding the brakes. I had same problem after service on my i20. The rear discs and wheels were super hot by the time I reached home. Accidently found it since it started to rain as soon as I parked and steam started to come out of rear discs! In my case, the HASS had greased the caliper without cleaning the old dry grease and this caused the caliper to get stuck!

In Hyundai, the rear brake pads do no wear out faster than front. I guess the only car that I know of which eats rear pads faster than front is the Toyota Corolla.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 10th March 2021 at 14:59.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 15:46   #82
BHPian

After I did a repeat service (Rotor skimming, greese application,new brake pads) now my rear brake pads are cooler then the front ones. Braking is effective too. Will continue bed-in procedure for next 400/500kms.

Even I was surprised that at 80000kms my front brake pads/Rotors are as good as new. Although rear ones too were first changed at 80000kms only. I thought ABS/EBD systems should facilitate almost equal brake wear.

Braking ability of my Fluidic Verna diesel was never as good as that of my wife's Honda Brio which uses disk brakes in front only. So just wondering if everything ok regarding braking system of my car .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks