Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2009, 14:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Noise from the Brakes

Hi All,
Need some help here. Recently have been facing a very strange kind of problem. While braking at very low speed (10-20kmph) if I brake then I'm hearing strange grinding noise. The noise is like there is some stretch in some metallic parts somewhere at the brakes. This noise is more pronounced when at a downward incline (specially at my basement parking). While reversing I'm not able to hear any noise while braking. I've a doubt that it may be related to suspension but it can be the brakes also. I vaguely remember that this problem started after the brake-pad change but I can't tell it for sure. Shown the problem to service centers but are yet not able to find the problem.
Regards,
Old 28th February 2009, 17:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Either your brake pads have worn out (time to change) and if they have been changed recently, they have not been installed / bedded in properly. Go back to the mechanic asap!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2009, 18:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Either your brake pads have worn out (time to change) and if they have been changed recently, they have not been installed / bedded in properly. Go back to the mechanic asap!
These are new pads as I've mentioned. Actually when I first reported the problem first the mechanic did was to check the pads and the assembly. But they couldn't find anything. Also they don't make the nose when I brake during reverse, no sound at all at that time. Can it be a issue of the suspension? Monday I'm going to give the car for a thorough checkup and they'll open up the assembly again to see. Will tell them to reinstall it properly.

BTW, another issue, there is a crack in the front windshield, I don't how it happened. Car was at office parking and when I came out in the evening I show a crack(almost a foot long). I think only option I've is to replace the windshield, right? Or can the glass be repaired? And also how the glass broke seems to be mystery. Can a automotive glass break due to heat? I really doubt that. But doesn't seem like a stone through or anything that sort. Very strange though.
Old 28th February 2009, 18:56   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Kaushik, check out a few things for the brake noise:
1. Did you replace your brake pads with Maruti Genuine Parts (MGP), or was it any set of pads your mech put in? In the latter case, you might find that the pads have fine metal wires embedded into the pad which is causing this kind of grating /scratching noise -- OR -- you've got some foreign substance lodged between the pads and the disc.
What to do:
A. Take the car up to a very high speed, and then brake progressively harder. Does the noise occur at higher speeds and / or under heavy braking?
B. Wet the discs with a running hose for a few minutes, then drive slowly and check. CAUTION: Your brakes will not hold when they are wet. DO NOT drive fast. If the noise has gone now, it is likely to be a pad issue. Change the pads to MGP, or a good brand like TVS, Brakes India or Rane.
2. If 1(A) & (B) did not help - i.e. the noise is still there at high speed or in wet brakes - check if the noise comes at low OR high speeds when the particular front wheel is jacked off the ground and the car driven in gear. Turn the wheel in first or second gear, keep the accelerator pressed with one foot to maintain the rpm, and gently press the brake pedal with the other foot. Does the noise come now? If yes, then the pads are to blame. Or, something is touching the wheel rim/disc when the brakes are being actuated (often the protective plate behind the disc can be bent by your mechanic if he changes the pads carelessly - this might cause a noise when the calipers are actuated). If no, you may have a wheel bearing problem.

Let's hear from you after this diagnostic exercise, and then we can look for more causes.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 28th February 2009 at 18:58.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2009, 20:38   #5
BHPian

i had a similar kind of problem after servicing. got the brake calipers greased and the problem was gone. i think since the pads are new they are holding the discs in a better way but the brake caliper pins might be loose and so there is shuddering.
Old 1st March 2009, 01:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

The brake pads are MGP only, got it changed at an Authorized service center and personally inspected that.
Another thing is that I can hear the noise only at low speed. I don't think (or may be I've not noticed) that at high speed the sound is there. I think it won't be audible at high speed as the sound is very feeble but quite noticeable at low speed.
The calipers were greased but that didn't helped. The protective plate were also checked, no result.
So may be wheel bearing problem as SS-traveller said. Will talk to my mechanic to check it. But if it's a bearing problem then won't it affect day to day driving?
Old 1st March 2009, 01:29   #7
BHPian

How about the Disc's? Can be the culprit sometimes.
Old 29th March 2009, 21:36   #8

Grinding noise/vibration while braking Honda City

Hello All,

I am facing a braking issue somewhat similar to the one reported by Kaushik_s:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...low-speed.html

I had the front brake pads changed on my 2003 Honda City 1.3 DX with after-market pads (can't recollect the make, but they aren't Honda originals) purchased from a little auto parts store in Teynampet during a visit to Chennai in Dec'08. This was done by a local Chennai mechanic (I have an aversion to dealers after a couple of bad experiences).

The brakes worked fine for about 3 weeks, but ever since then there is a continuous grinding noise when I brake fully, especially over the last few yards before the vehicle comes to a halt. I can "feel" it through the brake pedal - it feels like metal against metal.

So I took the vehicle to two different mechanics in Bangalore. At both places, they cleaned the pads (in soap water), dusted the rotor area and replaced the pads, but the problem persisted. Both mechanics independently indicated that the grinding noise was likely due to metal content in the pads (I thought brake pads are ceramic these days?), and that the only way to make the noise go away was to replace the pads with original Honda parts. They also said that braking effectiveness would not be affected with the current pads.

However the brakes are NOT as effective as before - braking distance is definitely longer - on occasion I've had to use the hand brake, particularly over the last few yards, to bring the vehicle to a complete halt. I'm also not convinced that the problem is entirely due to poor quality pads, because there is rolling resistance even when I'm not touching the brake pedal. Occasionally there's a "gnnnn" sound while the car is coasting (and brakes aren't engaged).

In terms of isolating the root cause, I drove the car in wet weather and still faced the same issue. I haven't yet tried jacking the car up and accelerating/braking.

Would appreciate inputs.

Cheers.
Old 29th March 2009, 23:06   #9
BANNED

A similar issue my friend had faced in a Santro Xing .Upon inspection it was found a nut was missing .His santro had this noise coming from one side only when about to stop and had no noise on high speed just about when the car was just stopping.So you can also check the tightness of all nots, bolts hub , jumping rod , disc mounting nuts , caliper nuts and the suspension bolts which are on the knuckle.
On secong thoughts there may be some dry bush too causing the noise so just check up .
Hope it helps.
Old 29th March 2009, 23:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Had a simmilar experience and it was just a small stone that got stuck. Try throwing some air after removing the tyres. It could be just that
Old 31st March 2009, 09:15   #11
knp
BHPian

I have been getting troubled with this problem for last 3 months with my 2002 Santro (35k run).
Initially, I showed this problem to Auto1 (next to SPAR on Banneragatta road, bengaluru) and they said that it was due to the brake-shoe, then some caliper, and then some suspension problem etc and emptied my valet. But, I still continued to get this noise especially in the slow speeds.
Then, I took this to Advaith (JP Nagar) and they did wheel alignment, balancing, etc and again emptied my valet. But, I still continued to get this problem and they finally said that it's a normal sound.
Yesterday, I was bit upset and while coming from office as this noise getting worst. Also, I am getting this noise only at the right front wheel.
I finally dared to meet a local mechanic (Bangalore auto garage, opp,. to Meenakshi temple, off Banneragatta road). One of the mechanics had identified the problem as the worn out chassis bushes. These are the rubber bushes on the four sides of the chassis and this was worn-out badly on my right-front wheel end. They had temporarily put some rubber bush and the noise had drastically come down. I still hear a little noise and they had asked me to get the new bushes so that they will replace on all the four sides.
I need to go to JC Road sometime this week and grab them.

I thought of sharing above details as this kind of problem is bit tricky to identify and before our burn our pockets, we can check those chassis bushes also.
Old 31st March 2009, 10:59   #12
BHPian

@ Quick blue:

I had similar prob with my esteem. Check the surface of the disk weather its smooth or not. if the surface is not smooth, that`s what gives you the " metal against metal" sound. changing the disk is the solution.
Old 31st March 2009, 11:00   #13

Grinding noise/vibration while braking Honda City

@knp: Thanks for sharing your experience. Re worn-out chassis bushes, were you hearing the grinding noise all the time, or only while braking? And how much did the replacement of the bushes cost you?

@Trust... and gemithomas: The mechanics checked for missing nuts and stones both times - there wasn't anything. They also cleaned the pads and rotors.

Hoping to find a solution soon. Cheers!
Old 31st March 2009, 15:17   #14
knp
BHPian

@quick_blue: I am getting that grinding noise only during braking. My mechanic told me that the genuine ones would cost around 600.00.
I am planning to visit JC road today and if I can get them, then I willl update with more details.
Old 3rd April 2009, 20:10   #15
BHPian

I'm having a similar problem in my Palio GTX. Very unusual, a screetching sound comes from the right front wheel when I brake. This happens only in the morning and the sound increases when I run down or up a not so steep slope. However when I come back from work in the night, the sound does not come. The sound also comes when taking small turns. Any idea what could be the cause?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks