Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2013, 10:27   #46

Re: Noise from the Brakes

I had a similar problem with my corolla. This was basically because the housing on which the rotor fits on had a play. This was probably because of a hard bump etc. I had the housing aligned and the rotor changed and the noise no longer exists now. Before the actual problem could be diagnosed I had already replaced the caliper pins, break pads and the rotor, but the nose continued.

Only after the housing aligned and the rotors replaced again this nose stopped.

Please get the housing on which the rotor fits on for any play or bend.
Old 1st February 2014, 17:00   #47

Hi All,

I did read, that part of the issue for the brake screeching noise is because the discs get overtly polished and shiny.
Is scoring the disc a fix for this ? or does this only make matters worse.
The reason behind me asking is because this was the solution given to me by my SA at the A.S.S, and I feel this is a crude option.
Old 2nd February 2014, 10:22   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithran777 View Post
Hi All,

I did read, that part of the issue for the brake screeching noise is because the discs get overtly polished and shiny.

Is scoring the disc a fix for this ? or does this only make matters worse.

The reason behind me asking is because this was the solution given to me by my SA at the A.S.S, and I feel this is a crude option.

It is and in my opion it very rarely is the root cause. In most cases it is much more simple to fix, see my earlier post.
Jeroen
Old 7th February 2014, 19:39   #49

Hey Jeroen,

So here I am reporting back on the noise after I allowed the A.S.S to use the crude manner of scoring my discs.

To my amazement, the noise actually stopped, and I kinda felt like a fool for questioning the process. It still to my opinion is a crude process and almost put me to tears to watch my baby go through that. OK, I'm over reacting now

But then, after a week of perfect running, the screeching has started again, and this time around, the sound doesn't start off immediately, it takes its own sweet run time and kicks in after around 30 mins or so.

I'm really lost now, and the only thing that I haven't tried yet, is the Anti Squeal Break Lubrication, and before I do so, I would just like to know whether this solution is long term, or am I going to have to set down a weekly maintenance plan just for this?
Old 12th February 2014, 08:44   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to hear, but it more or less confirms what I said before. There is no reason why brakes should screech or make any noise for that matter. Maybe you should try and take it to a different mechanic. i would start by taking the brake pads off, inspecting them and the rotors, clean everything including caliphers and put everything back together using the appropiate brake paste in appropiate amounts and places.
Good luck
Jeroen
Old 12th February 2014, 11:38   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithran777 View Post
...part of the issue for the brake screeching noise is because the discs get overtly polished and shiny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
There is no reason why brakes should screech or make any noise for that matter.
Glazed brake pads screech. There are also certain manufacturers of brake pads who use a mix of wires made of copper and other metals into the asbestos material of brake pads - these pads wear much less, but at the cost of grinding down the discs as well as screeching.

Even if there is adequate brake pad material left, change the pads to OE, and face the discs. Your screeching issue will disappear.
Old 12th February 2014, 13:04   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Glazed brake pads screech. There are also certain manufacturers of brake pads who use a mix of wires made of copper and other metals into the asbestos material of brake pads - these pads wear much less, but at the cost of grinding down the discs as well as screeching.

Even if there is adequate brake pad material left, change the pads to OE, and face the discs. Your screeching issue will disappear.
What I meant is that brake screech should always be relatively easy to fix.

Glazing happens due to overheating, which can happen quicker with inferior brake pads. But when it does, you should also check if the brakes work properly and the pads are not stuck on the rotor, thus overheating. You could be replacing pads for a long time.

Drive you car several kilometers without braking and then check/feel the temperature of the brakes/rotors. Without any braking the temperature should be near ambient. If any of the brakes has become noticeable warmer then the others you will have the culprit most likely. You probably have a glazed pad and a stuck brake. you will need to fix both. If you have glazed pads and no stuck brakes you might have inferior pads or you might have developped a bad driving/braking habit. Keeping a foot lightly on the brake?

Usually, when you have glazed pads that will also manifest itself in less brake performance. Or the need to push harder on your brake pedal. You might not have noticed, but you will if you put on the new pads

Glazing is very easy to identify, just look at the pad surface, if it is all shiney, replace them. Still make sure they get fitted with the correct amount of brake paste.

If you hate to have brake dust on your nice alloys, get ceramic pads. I put them on my cars and it makes a world of difference. No more (visible) brake dust ever!
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 22:29   #53

Thanks Jeroen,

I cant change my mechanic for now, due to me having an extended warranty, and if I get any repairs done from anywhere other than the A.S.S I'll end up losing out on my extended warranty. So I'm kinda stuck till then.. :-( the other part is, I really haven't been able to find a skilled mechanic who works on Scorpios.
Old 30th July 2014, 10:54   #54

Hi guys,

Need an expert advice. I bought a new Duster about a month ago and the car has run around 2000 Kms. I have been noticing a sound from the brake everytime I am on an incline / decline or if I brake at low speeds. (i.e. coming to a halt from 5km/hr speeds).

I have been seeing these problems from day 2 of the purchase of the car. Kindly suggest.
Old 30th July 2014, 11:32   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_vani View Post
Hi guys,

Need an expert advice. I bought a new Duster about a month ago and the car has run around 2000 Kms. I have been noticing a sound from the brake everytime I am on an incline / decline or if I brake at low speeds. (i.e. coming to a halt from 5km/hr speeds).

I have been seeing these problems from day 2 of the purchase of the car. Kindly suggest.
Take your car for wash and clean the discs with pressure water. Most of the time dust and mud particals could also have caused this. If washing doesn't help, grease the calipers.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 11:47   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been noticing a sound from the brake everytime I am on an incline / decline or if I brake at low speeds. (i.e. coming to a halt from 5km/hr speeds).
Does this go away after driving (and braking) for a while or the sound is there everytime you brake at lower speeds (even after extended runs)?
Old 30th July 2014, 11:49   #57

Hi Saket,

Yes the noise is present even after the extended runs. Concerns me a lot since its a new car :(
Old 30th July 2014, 12:15   #58
BHPian

I hear a similar screeching noise when braking in low speeds, especially on declines. The vehicle has run 8K kms till date and i am noticing this sound for almost the last 1000 kms.

With my scheduled 2nd service being a couple of months away, wonder if this issue needs immediate attention.
Old 30th July 2014, 13:04   #59
the-mechanic

Quote:
Hi guys,

Relax dude, its because your brake pads are new. The disc pads have a smooth surface so does the disc and hence the pads need time for bedding in. Its something like rubbing your finger on a really clean glass.

Give it some time, it'll fade out. If you're really impatient, then remove the pads and rub them with the sharp end of a hacksaw blade, making the surface a little rough and put them back on.

I'd suggest you wait it out.

Old 30th July 2014, 13:05   #60
the-mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPope View Post
I hear a similar screeching noise when braking in low speeds, especially on declines. The vehicle has run 8K kms till date and i am noticing this sound for almost the last 1000 kms.

With my scheduled 2nd service being a couple of months away, wonder if this issue needs immediate attention.
In your case you need to replace the brake pads probably because they're worn out and the metal is rubbing against the metal. Waiting longer could cause lines to appear on your disc because of the contact.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks