Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 19:45   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

The caliper pins are running dry, and will need greasing. MASS people charge stupidly inflated amounts for a little pouch of grease and the labour involved - though you may not need to pay labour charges at 5k km service.
Not just maruti, even Hyundai charges exorbitant price for caliper greasing. If I remember , some 350 rupees including labor. But what other options do we have?
Old 12th June 2013, 16:40   #32
BHPian

re: Noise from the Brakes

I visited the MASS today, after a test drive the SA advised that, the noise while braking might be due to some water around the brakes during the rains. He opined that this water will dry up and the noise will subside. On repeated asking, still the SA declined for any kind of work to be carried out on the brake noise.

He tested the brakes for hard braking, braking on flyover slopes, etc. He heard the noise and gave his opinion.

I drove the vehicle for 20 odd kilometers after the visit to MASS and did not get any noise.

what do you guys think, should I get it examined from any other person ?

Regards
Ritesh
Old 12th June 2013, 16:47   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The caliper pins are running dry, and will need greasing. MASS people charge stupidly inflated amounts for a little pouch of grease and the labour involved - though you may not need to pay labour charges at 5k km service.
I agree. Caliper noise is too common in many cars/manufacturers that ASCs are elevating it to a major issue and charging exorbitantly to just grease the pins with that small pouch of caliper grease.

If you have time, this is best done as a DIY that I have been doing since the past 1L kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
I visited the MASS today, after a test drive the SA advised that, the noise while braking might be due to some water around the brakes during the rains. He opined that this water will dry up and the noise will subside. On repeated asking, still the SA declined for any kind of work to be carried out on the brake noise.

He tested the brakes for hard braking, braking on flyover slopes, etc. He heard the noise and gave his opinion.

I drove the vehicle for 20 odd kilometers after the visit to MASS and did not get any noise.

what do you guys think, should I get it examined from any other person ?

Regards
Ritesh
Ritesh,

The the symptoms you have mentioned may not be completely clear as you have not revealed the nature of noise - Grinding, Thud-Thud etc.

The best way to identify if your caliper pins have run out of grease is to park your car on a normal surface, slot in neutral, pull the hand-brakes and then with a firm fist, hit the sidewall of both the front wheels.

In this process of hitting your fist on the sidewalls of the tires, if the caliper pins have lost grease and are dry, you are more likely to hear metallic clink-clank noise from the wheels.

It is a clear indication that the pins are begging to get greased. The same noise when listened from inside the car when driving will give you a thud-thud feeling almost like that of lose steering rack.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 18:58   #34
BHPian

thanks Parag,

The noise i am getting is more of a grinding noise. Though your explanation for caliper pins was very very helpful, well certainly try that out today and let you know the result.

By the way can you please let me know the DIY process to grease the aliper pins ? or can you please point me to the right thread if any.

thanks
Ritesh
Old 12th June 2013, 19:09   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The best way to identify if your caliper pins have run out of grease is to park your car on a normal surface, slot in neutral, pull the hand-brakes and then with a firm fist, hit the sidewall of both the front wheels.

In this process of hitting your fist on the sidewalls of the tires, if the caliper pins have lost grease and are dry, you are more likely to hear metallic clink-clank noise from the wheels.

It is a clear indication that the pins are begging to get greased. The same noise when listened from inside the car when driving will give you a thud-thud feeling almost like that of lose steering rack.
I have the same issue with my Santro's front brakes. On hitting the tyre sidewall, I can hear clanking noise. Similar noise is heard sometimes while negotiating bad roads/speed breakers.
Initially, tried with greasing the caliper pins. It worked only for couple of weeks.
Then, tried replacing the caliper pins. It worked a bit longer (couple of months).
Now it is back to the same old braking noise.
Some of the mechanics commented that if this greasing/replacing pins does not work, then the only long term solution is getting a new caliper or getting a new oversize caliper pin made over lathe. I am not very inclined towards the second option, considering it is a critical component.
Would anyone have an idea how much does Santro Xing brake calipers cost?

Thanks.
Old 12th June 2013, 19:23   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
By the way can you please let me know the DIY process to grease the aliper pins ? or can you please point me to the right thread if any.
You will need to have the following equipment/tools with you:
  1. Jack
  2. Wheel Spanner
  3. Ring/Socket spanner (10-12mm)
  4. Caliper Pin Grease

Removing the caliper pins:
  • Jack up the front wheel one at a time.
  • Remove the wheel
  • You will now be able to see the brake caliper (Refer sample image below)

Noise from the Brakes-caliper.jpg
(Pic Courtesy: Google Images)
The 2 bolts that you see marked in Yellow are the ones which secure the caliper pins that look as below:

Noise from the Brakes-caliper-pin.jpg
(Pic Courtesy: Google Images)
How to remove the pins:
  1. Using a Ring/Sprocket spanner, loosen pull one bolt out
  2. After pulling the bolt out, the caliper assembly is now held only by the second bolt.
  3. You can now move the caliper assembly over the pivot (since the first bolt is still secure) and now you will now have access to the caliper pins. By merely pushing the rubber sleeve pull the caliper pins out.
  4. Grease the caliper pin thoroughly and put it back into the designated place ensuring the rubber sleeve is also fixed in place
  5. Tighten the bolt again
Follow the steps 1-5 again for the the second caliper pin.

CAUTION: Please do not fiddle with anything else except for moving the caliper assembly to access the caliper pins. Ensure the car is resting on Handbrake or slotted in gear and no attempt if made to depress the brake pedal while the caliper is moved from its position.

EDIT: Quoting vaasu's query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
I have the same issue with my Santro's front brakes. On hitting the tyre sidewall, I can hear clanking noise. Similar noise is heard sometimes while negotiating bad roads/speed breakers.
Initially, tried with greasing the caliper pins. It worked only for couple of weeks.
Then, tried replacing the caliper pins. It worked a bit longer (couple of months).
Now it is back to the same old braking noise.
Some of the mechanics commented that if this greasing/replacing pins does not work, then the only long term solution is getting a new caliper or getting a new oversize caliper pin made over lathe. I am not very inclined towards the second option, considering it is a critical component.
Would anyone have an idea how much does Santro Xing brake calipers cost?

Thanks.
This is a known issue that crops up very frequently depending on the kilometers driven and the nature of roads. This is absolutely nothing to worry about and regular greasing and periodic replacement will do.

Additionally, there are various fixes like putting a rubber ring or wrapping the aluminium tape (from a soft drink can) over the caliper pins but eventually the noise crops up later on.

Basically, the Dryness of these pins results in metal-metal contact whenever brakes are applied or driven on bad roads.

Caliper pins should not cost you more than 500/- for 2 pairs for a Santro.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th June 2013 at 19:28.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 19:22   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This is a known issue that crops up very frequently depending on the kilometers driven and the nature of roads. This is absolutely nothing to worry about and regular greasing and periodic replacement will do.

Additionally, there are various fixes like putting a rubber ring or wrapping the aluminium tape (from a soft drink can) over the caliper pins but eventually the noise crops up later on.

Basically, the Dryness of these pins results in metal-metal contact whenever brakes are applied or driven on bad roads.

Caliper pins should not cost you more than 500/- for 2 pairs for a Santro.
Thanks Parag.

I have already replace caliper pins once and still have the same issue.

As I am not inclined to take this "fix" method route for a critical component, I was inquiring about cost of entire calipers. Would you have an idea about the cost?

Thanks.
Old 9th September 2013, 21:07   #38
GRV
BHPian

Hi
I also face similar problem. When I take off my leg from brakes, there is a faint grinding sound. In addition when I brake at low speed again similar sound. But surprisingly this happen erratically. for 10 days the car will run without any brake noise and suddenly the problem will reappear

i checked with dealer and the SA says that this is normal in automatic cars. I refuse to believe this. We have so much advance technology today and how come making noise by brake is normal ?

Regards
Old 13th October 2013, 19:59   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: Brake noise in i10

The front left brake in my i10 is making a groaning noise. The noise is something like "krung krung krung krung".

The noise comes only when I gently tap the brakes to reduce the speed, doesn't come when depressing the brake pedal completely.

The sound is speed dependent, when coming to a stop from higher speed, the frequency of "krung krung" noise is higher.

The noise started coming after a suspension job was carried out by H.A.S.S. to replace the front strut since it was leaking.

I took the car back to the service centre when I noticed the noise. They cleaned the brake pads but the problem didn't get solved. The service advisor assured me that the sound would go away after driving for a few days, but it never went away.

I also discussed the problem with another H.A.S.S. They diagnosed the issue was rusted disks, which need to be replaced.

Both service advisors mentioned that the problem is not severe and would not affect braking. I have also not experienced any reduction in braking efficiency, its just that the noise is very irritating and embarrassing.

What could be the problem ?

Rohan
Old 13th October 2013, 20:06   #40
BANNED

Re: Brake noise in Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwasvr View Post
Well I guess it was wet. I also noticed reduced braking power. I almost had to pump it real hard to stop. I haven't driven in a few days now.
If you haven't driven it for a few days and you noticed reduced braking power, just take it out for a spin and on a clear stretch (without traffic behind), apply the brakes fairly aggressively a couple of times. This would clear the deposits on the rotor and substantially increase the braking power.

Happy motoring!
Old 15th October 2013, 09:47   #41
Senior - BHPian

Bumping the thread for a reply to my query above. Please help guys.

The car has done almost 25k kms in almost 5 years, mostly in city traffic conditions.

Also, how long do the brake discs and pads last in normal conditions ?

I am also planning to get the brake fluid changed in the next service, since it has never been changed till now.

Rohan
Old 15th October 2013, 11:08   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
The front left brake in my i10 is making a groaning noise. The noise is something like "krung krung krung krung".

They diagnosed the issue was rusted disks, which need to be replaced.

Both service advisors mentioned that the problem is not severe and would not affect braking. I have also not experienced any reduction in braking efficiency, its just that the noise is very irritating and embarrassing.

What could be the problem ?

Rohan
Rohan,

Do you feel the car vibrating/jerking a little when you brake?It could just be that the brake pads have worn out unevenly.

Please remove the front wheels and run your palm on the disk to see if the surface is uneven.

The theory of rusted disks is all nonsense ; the disks' surface does get oxidised on the edges but the surface contacting the pads will always be shiny.

Just an add on - have you got the rear brakes inspected?
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 13:14   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Rohan,

Do you feel the car vibrating/jerking a little when you brake?It could just be that the brake pads have worn out unevenly.

Please remove the front wheels and run your palm on the disk to see if the surface is uneven.

The theory of rusted disks is all nonsense ; the disks' surface does get oxidised on the edges but the surface contacting the pads will always be shiny.
Agree.

If its vibrating/jerking you might have a problem with the pads, or more likely the rotors.

Noises from (disc) brakes are usually one of the following:

- Worn down pads, in some cases the rivets holding the pads on its backplane start touching the rotors. You will hear definitely metal on metal sound and the respective rotor will start showing a large groove

- Something caught between pad and rotor, e.g. small pebble. The only way to get rid of it is to take off the pad and clean everything. Do this quickly before they start damaging the rotor

- The back plane of the pad rest in the caliperframe. It needs a special heat resistent paste as a "anti squeel lubricant". Sometimes, after a while this need re applying. It is essentially metal on metal contact, but in this case it doesn't really matter, nothing essentially is rubbing against one another, but the noise can be very irritating.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 20:29   #44
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm not feeling any vibration/jerking when applying the brake. The brakes are working normally, except for the noise.

During the last service visit, the H.A.S.S. performed brake cleaning. I'm not sure whether they inspected the rear brakes as well. But I'm pretty sure that the noise is coming from the front left brake.

This problem started happening after a suspension job was performed by H.A.S.S. on the front left tyre. So I'm inclined to believe that the issue is lack of lubrication on the back side of the caliper.

How serious could this issue be ? Can I wait till my next service visit to get this problem rectified ? I hate unnecessary visits to the service centres.

Rohan
Old 21st October 2013, 11:42   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Noise from the Brakes

^^ if you know a FNT(friendly neighbourhood technician) ,you could get the thing inspected - and have the caliper pins greased just to eliminate this doubt.

No other place in the brake mechanicals need lubrication- a wee bit of grease on the caliper pins is about it.

Most Viewed