Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2009, 18:19   #196
BHPian

In case you guys are forgetting, Nano is a good example of rear mounted engine RWD!
watashi75 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2009, 19:59   #197
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I recently saw a program on TV. A guy who was traversing in the African countryside in a 4X4 (most probably it was a land rover) had a break down and lost power to the rear wheels. He still continues with the FWD till he reaches a steep gradient. But he cannot manage to drive up the gradient.

Then he just turns the car back towards the direction he came from and attempts to drive up the gradient in reverse!!! And he does it easily

The logic here: When there is more weight on the wheels, it has better grip on the road and will not spin. Apparently, the weight of his engine is heavier than the load in the back of his vehicle, so it did have better traction.
Hi ,I also saw this program in NAT GEO.it was a wonder full program.

now coming to point,i recently went to a village in outskirts of chennai ,where there was a steep U turn.My swift could not make it as the full weight of the car was at back wheel and there was not traction on the front wheels. then i had to reverse for about 30ft and came very fast (wheel spinning speed)

Well it all depends on the usage of the individual.for me it is mostly city and highways so FWD is more than enough.

But for people who go on road less routes RWD or 4WD will do better.
joshguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2009, 20:10   #198
rippergeo

Burnt my tyres on every corner that I could safely do so on today's ghat drive.
It wouldnt be possible if it wasnt for rear wheel drive.

Old 22nd April 2009, 20:44   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Burnt my tyres on every corner that I could safely do so on today's ghat drive.
It wouldnt be possible if it wasnt for rear wheel drive.
I presume this was in the Endeavour?
Old 22nd April 2009, 21:37   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I recently saw a program on TV. A guy who was traversing in the African countryside in a 4X4 (most probably it was a land rover) had a break down and lost power to the rear wheels. He still continues with the FWD till he reaches a steep gradient. But he cannot manage to drive up the gradient.

Then he just turns the car back towards the direction he came from and attempts to drive up the gradient in reverse!!! And he does it easily

The logic here: When there is more weight on the wheels, it has better grip on the road and will not spin. Apparently, the weight of his engine is heavier than the load in the back of his vehicle, so it did have better traction.
No need to go to Africa. Can see it all the time in downtown SanFrancisco when it rains. I tried it in my rental SOnata.
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:26   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
No need to go to Africa. Can see it all the time in downtown SanFrancisco when it rains. I tried it in my rental SOnata.
You mean you tried a reverse to climb a steep road in SFO Downtown? Good Lord--that was a dangerous stunt, especially on slippery roads!
I know how steep those roads are, and how many crossings there are.

On a lighter note---did you try it on Crooked Street?
Old 23rd April 2009, 23:54   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
You mean you tried a reverse to climb a steep road in SFO Downtown? Good Lord--that was a dangerous stunt, especially on slippery roads!
I know how steep those roads are, and how many crossings there are.

On a lighter note---did you try it on Crooked Street?
No, not street but a driveway. A friend used to live there.

on the streets ..when it rains. fwd cars always get massive wheelspins when they move off from signals

Tried crooked street downhill...they dont allow up hill.
Old 28th April 2009, 13:15   #203
HKS
BHPian

@Topic
Advantages of FWD:

- Lesser cost. There is no driveshaft or rear axle housing to build.

-Reduced weight

- More interior space. No large bumps in the floorpan are required to accommodate mechanical parts.

Disadvtanges of FWD:

-The decrease in vehicle handling ability. With more weight over the front of the automobile, the back end tends to become very light.

-The load placed on the front tires.The tires have only a finite amount of grip, so using some of it for acceleration must decrease it in other areas.

-Lesser grip

- Greater repair cost
Old 3rd May 2009, 08:42   #204
BHPian

If you live in an area where it snows RWD cars are a pain in the wrong place. There have been numerous instances when I have used my 4X4 to pull out my friends BMWs out of a mess and on many more instances they have borrowed it because their cars are practically useless on those days.

FWD on the other hand handles fine.

I am not sure why (please forgive my lack of technical expertise on this) but a lot performance cars seem to be RWD eg BMW, mustang etc. I wonder why is that?
Old 3rd May 2009, 10:28   #205
BHPian

FWD is for commuters. RWD is for driving enthusiasts.
Old 3rd May 2009, 12:09   #206
BHPian

My experience with FWD and RWD is:

FWD drive is not good in the long run, get pickup fast, but front axle
get wear and tear faster. Car not balance with road grip compared to RWD, specially when braking in high speed.

Overall Rear wheel drive is more reliable, handling, safety, speed, etc.
I think all expensive cars were RWD and durable in the long run.
vintagepoint5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2009, 12:48   #207
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Jeep reverse gear is 1.333 times lower than first gear

Quote:

Don't know about the Land Rover, but take the case of the Kia 4-speed gearbox on the Mahindra MM540.

The lowest forward gear (highest torque) possible is 3.986:1 which is first gear.
In fourwheel drive with the Spicer-18 transfer case in low-ratio, even this is multiplied by 2.46 to become a massive 9.8:1 gearing ratio.

However observe what happens in reverse gear!

The MM540's reverse gear ratio (even higher torque) possible is 5.315:1.
In fourwheel drive with the Spicer-18 transfer case in low-ratio, this is multiplied by 2.46 to become a gargantuan 13:1 gearing ratio.

Obviously the Jeep will pull more strongly and climb more powerfully in reverse gear than in first gear !!
Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2009, 14:07   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post

and techno, ALL mercedes benzes are rear wheel drive cars; so are bmws, ferraris, lambos,etc. and in the indian range, the current crop of RWDs are- ambys, contys, HM trekkers, the old tempo traxxes, sumos, safaris, all the mahindras, endeavours,sierras, estates (both now extinct),gypsys,etc. and lastly, believe it or not, the first indian electric car, maini reva!!
Totally agreed.
But you forgot to mentione the good old Premier Padmini, its my everyday car.
Old 11th June 2009, 17:17   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMY56 View Post
Totally agreed.
But you forgot to mentione the good old Premier Padmini, its my everyday car.
But Veyron1 has used the word 'etc' at the end of his list ! Looks like the Omni has not got a mention either !
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:15   #210
BHPian

See Topgear Season13 Episode 5 for an exhaustive comparison of RWD cars. Though not relevant in India, it is still hilarious.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks