Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2006, 08:22   #91
BHPian

Its Really though to handle a high powered rear wheel drive unless or until you have traction on, Especially in rain and snow the cars arnt east to drive... But the same with a 250HP front wheel drive you can... like they say rear wheel drive is not for everybody...

I crashed my Beemer trying to do something stupid with traction control & DSC Turned off in the rain... Bad experience... its still sitting at the Car dealer getting repaired... its getting a complete front left suspension change!!

but the fun you get driving a rear wheel in the rain is Awesome!! but not worth the crash!! So ppl with rear wheel drives be very careful when the traction is turned off...
Old 15th December 2006, 10:54   #92
Senior - BHPian

Have you guys seen that vid where they race a Civic Type R vs a S2000 in the wet?

The S2000 was struggling for traction while the Civic was comfortably cruising behind it. Eventually, the Civic won that race...."just".

Whether you got RWD, FWD or AWD, they all have their strenghts and weaknesses. So, it doesn't really make sense saying so'n'so drive is the best.

They're all kings in their own territories.

This is the vid -

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 15th December 2006 at 10:57.
Old 24th January 2007, 01:36   #93
BANNED

What do you mean by FF, FR, MR, RR or FA.

Hey,
Just a brief about various types of engine placement on a car and how it affects the car and its drive.

FF-Stands for Front engine front wheel drive. It is the safest of all better handler and also very cost effective.Most front-wheel drive vehicles today feature transverse engine mounting, where as in past decades engines were mostly positioned longitudinally instead.

FR - Stands for front engine rear wheel drive. It is preferred by the Germans.Better handling in dry conditions - accelerating force is applied to the rear wheels, on which the down force increases, due to load transfer in acceleration, making the rear tires better able to take simultaneous acceleration and curving than the front tires.

MR - Stands for Mid engine rear wheel drive. Its is preferred by the Italians.
It sounds great feels good but drives bad.Mid Engine Rear wheel drive is one in which the rear wheels are driven by an engine placed just in front of them,right behind the passenger compartment. This layout is typically chosen for its low polar inertia and relatively favorable weight distribution . It is not suitable as the weight is pushed more on the back of the car and is not ideal for handling regular cars ,but is used in formula 1 cars.

RR - Stands for rear engine rear wheel drive.It is usually used in big cars like Contessa, Qualis, Fiat, Ambassador, Sumo, Safari and even Mercedes.
there is a vast disadvantage of the RR is that placing the engine outside the wheelbase creates significant problems for handling as, when the car begins to slide on a corner, the end of the car will tend to want to swing wide and overtake the front ,especially under braking and will cause the car to spin during a sharp turn.

and FA - Stands for Front engine all wheel drive.It is preferred by the Japanese.All-wheel drive or AWD are terms used to describe a four-wheeled vehicle with a drivetrain that allows all of the four wheels to receive power from the engine simultaneously.These cars are included in the Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) category. or also known as off road vehicles powering all four wheels and it also plays an important role in rally racing on mostly-paved roads.

Cheers.
Old 24th January 2007, 04:41   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTHING View Post
RR - Stands for rear engine rear wheel drive.It is usually used in big cars like Contessa, Qualis, Fiat, Ambassador, Sumo, Safari and even Mercedes.
Yeah. Are you sure about this.
Old 24th January 2007, 09:30   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
U need to double check what you type, buddy!!!

Shan2nu
Old 24th January 2007, 09:53   #96
BANNED

my mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
U need to double check what you type, buddy!!!

Shan2nu

sorry, my mistake, i got the examples wrong ...probably was wee- bit sleepy when i wrote that party...lol...will double cross check next time...
Old 24th January 2007, 11:49   #97
BHPian

big gran turismo fan arnt you?
Old 24th January 2007, 12:13   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Afterall, the whole discussion is about the handling on Rwds' and Fwds'.
Have you ever tried to go full throttle from a redlight in a 3.8 L FWD car and the same in a 3.3l RWD car ???? I guess not ... else you would know abt torque steer
have you gone 80 MPH in the same car(FWD) around corners and 90 MPH inthe RWD one .... i guess not else you would know the diff in handling.... in the snow with regular tires the FWD wins hands down give both the cars FWD & RWD a set of Blizzaks (IMO one of the best snow tires) and then see the RWD kill the fwd ...

I have had both cars in the snowy regions of upstate NY and speak from exp

Last edited by whatcanthisbe : 24th January 2007 at 12:19.
Old 24th January 2007, 12:15   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Only Audis are Front Wheel Driven.
Quattro !!! 4 wheel drive
Old 24th January 2007, 13:15   #100
BHPian

Can you name these 3.8L FWD car and 3.3L RWD car? It'll give us a better picture. And torque steer can be experienced in some cars we get to drive in india as well. I sometimes get it in my Accord 2.4. Used to experience it all the time in my 2.8L VR6 VW GTi in college. FWD are a lot more easier to handle in the snow, but RWD more entertaining yet downright scary at times.
Old 24th January 2007, 17:59   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEM3R View Post
Can you name these 3.8L FWD car and 3.3L RWD car? It'll give us a better picture. And torque steer can be experienced in some cars we get to drive in india as well. I sometimes get it in my Accord 2.4. Used to experience it all the time in my 2.8L VR6 VW GTi in college. FWD are a lot more easier to handle in the snow, but RWD more entertaining yet downright scary at times.
3.3l RWD m3
3.8l FWD Pontiac Grand Prix
yup but an empty parking lot some ice sleet and a good foot of snow with summer tires... WOHoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 24th January 2007, 18:31   #102
BHPian

I think Mercedes A & B class are FWD. From C class onwards, they are RWD.
Old 25th January 2007, 11:42   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
3.3l RWD m3
3.8l FWD Pontiac Grand Prix
yup but an empty parking lot some ice sleet and a good foot of snow with summer tires... WOHoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Haha would have been a ball... done the empty slipper parking lots in a friends mustang and anothers IS300. Nonstop doughnuts mad entertainment !!!
Old 8th March 2007, 00:50   #104
Senior - BHPian

i love rear wheel driven cars they are such fun to play around and chills it gives when you take the turn 2 fast and controlling the rear end which is trying to catch the front end and the donuts it produces
Old 20th March 2007, 20:51   #105
BHPian

guys dont you think its better to drag in a front wheel drive rather than a rear wheel drive .... because the front wheel vehicle wont be wasting energy tranfering power to the rear wheels...?? rather than that i totally agree that rear end drivin cars are much much better to drive ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks