Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2008, 17:14   #151
BHPian

Advances in technology have made both almost identical, but I would go for a RWD anyday, anytime.
Old 18th February 2008, 14:03   #152
BHPian

ohh please before im tooooo old let me have one of these RWD'S
Old 18th February 2008, 19:14   #153
BHPian

RWD can be fun, but it can easily go out of control. Last year, I was driving north near the airport, Santa Cruz. It was raining and there was some traffic. I was on the right most lane with about 50m of empty wet road before me. A Padmini taxi in the line of cars on my left left the lane and wanted to take the benefit of the empty stretch of road. Unfortunately, his tyres must have been bald, since though he hardly moved enthusiastically, his rear just slipped out as he turned right into my lane. And then he just skated around till he hit the divider quite gently and slid back, completely out of control. The fact that I had to skid to a halt millimetres from him is another matter. But just goes to show that a moment's carelessness can be costly in a rwd car.
Old 18th February 2008, 20:06   #154
BHPian

read my signature..
i hate FWD !!!!
Old 22nd February 2008, 03:46   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool View Post
read my signature..
i hate FWD !!!!

Front Wheel Drive Is The Work Of Satan !!!
quoted from BMW ?
: ]
god damn hate FWD
Old 25th February 2008, 16:19   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
RWD can be fun, but it can easily go out of control. Last year, I was driving north near the airport, Santa Cruz. It was raining and there was some traffic. I was on the right most lane with about 50m of empty wet road before me. A Padmini taxi in the line of cars on my left left the lane and wanted to take the benefit of the empty stretch of road. Unfortunately, his tyres must have been bald, since though he hardly moved enthusiastically, his rear just slipped out as he turned right into my lane. And then he just skated around till he hit the divider quite gently and slid back, completely out of control. The fact that I had to skid to a halt millimetres from him is another matter. But just goes to show that a moment's carelessness can be costly in a rwd car.

Prabhu dont base you judgement on a Taxidriver on a wet road,with bald tyres.... if you were in Delhi i would have given you a good run in a rwd car just for the hell of it
Old 25th February 2008, 17:41   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Kuul View Post
Prabhu dont base you judgement on a Taxidriver on a wet road,with bald tyres.... if you were in Delhi i would have given you a good run in a rwd car just for the hell of it

Of course HK. In fact, we had till just a few years back, only rwd's for use. I only wanted to highlight a difference between rwd's and fwd's. In fact, every once in a while, I think of getting myself an old Padmini with cross ply tyres just for the excitement of that odd drift.

My father used to have a Morris 8 and later an Amby. While I had not risked it on the Morris, I remember the excitement of making the rear end slip on dirt with the Amby, though I only did that with a (pretty weak) hand brake that was hard to reach. It was only later that I learnt of other techniques of going sideways. But the amby always scared me with its body roll. The Padmini is a lot more steady and gives me ideas. My father drives a Padmini now, and I live in a different city now. So, haven't been able to try anything untoward on the car (though, the handbrake is almost inaccessible).
Old 25th February 2008, 18:00   #158
Senior - BHPian

God. Don't know when i can own a decent car :( I have made up my mind that i'll only buy a RWD. I really enjoyed with the Conti when i had her. Would've put another engine in it now by the time if i had her.
Old 26th February 2008, 13:52   #159
BHPian

drifting a Grp2 fiat at the track in barrackpore
Hell Kuul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2008, 13:54   #160
BHPian

And speaking of ambi's .. here is one on the limit...

Front Wheel Drive v/s Rear Wheel Drive-picture003.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th February 2010 at 21:40. Reason: Adding photo to your post
Old 26th February 2008, 14:48   #161
Senior - BHPian

I personally choose RWD between the two.Thats primarily because of the amazing prospect a RWD has regarding the -other than normal-driving options.Otherwise for a daily commuting purpose both will be fairing the same way.
ram
Old 23rd June 2008, 15:51   #162
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

It is a bit tough to expect the Front wheels which perform the important job of steering the vehicle, to also perform the equally important job of driving the vehicle!
Personally I vastly prefer rear wheel driven vehicles.Or best of all 4WD or AWD!!!
Old 23rd June 2008, 17:45   #163
BHPian

My money on the RWD...

Correct me if i am wrong, I remember reading somewhere that C class is an RWD while E class is a FWD.

Is that true presently as well.
Old 23rd June 2008, 17:50   #164
rippergeo

if I had traction control that could be switched on and off at will, I would pick the RWD. otherwise, I'd prefer the FWD. No nasty surprises for me, thank you.

Old 23rd June 2008, 18:32   #165
BHPian

let the RWD breed increase...amen!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks