Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2005, 00:12   #31
Senior - BHPian

I love a centrally steered AWD mclaren F1. LOL

Its better than a ferrari or a Lamborghini.
Old 2nd November 2005, 14:01   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
As far as I can see, everyone loves RWD here. Now, we all know that RWD is more of a purist's choice, but how many of us have the skill to control an RWD on a rainy night around a corner?

Me, give me AWD on my Lambos or Skylines...
thats where the REAL FUN is baby to know and feel the rear of the car loosing some traction and trying to overtake the front wheels. thats the FUN buddy. I just love this feel and then to overunder steer. But you should really know your car very well i mean the torque in each gear, wrong shift and then youre out of control. BTW i never mentioned and so u dont need the brake pedal, just some gas at the right time. oh yeah u will certainly need to brake and steer if u are sure that ure going in the ravine.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 2nd November 2005 at 14:06.
Old 2nd November 2005, 15:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

From what I understand, you can kick out the rear of a FWD too, if you know how to...
Old 3rd November 2005, 01:14   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From what I understand, you can kick out the rear of a FWD too, if you know how to...
Long live the handbrake?

GTO
Old 3rd November 2005, 08:24   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u
. I have a Nissan and it almost halves the car in two sections. But i am not much worried on that. End of Day the RWD rocks be it as a drivers car or commuter.
Dude, tell us more about your Nissan. I've never heard of a stock Altima turbo and surely its not RWD.
Old 3rd November 2005, 19:21   #36
BHPian

well its a 92 model inline 6 (you rarely get to see inlines now) The Turbo was fitted aftermarket. since the cable has snapped the car has logged 293769 approx 8 months back. The Car easily spins up in 2nd at the signals and roundabouts. It has loads of torque i believe between 1000 and 2000 rpms (no rpm meter) so it is happy being in 3rd at 15kmph. The engine sound below 120 is supersilent and it starts entering the cabin after 130 after which the sound increases quite alot to drown the audio.

The Audio its as old as ever a 3 button (Rew Stop Fwd) cassette player from Clarion and a AM/FM radio with good clarity. Nothing high funda sound but does its job of delivering clear music at moderate listening levels.

If you need pictures then just give me sometime (dont worry I wont post anything from the Web - as there is almost none of this model on the web) The ones in the US 1993 Altimas are a totally different in appearance. Just give me couple of days to capture on Cam. Problem is i have a Handycam but no digicam and my mobile is antique. (if u have a thread on mobiles then mine will be the oldest functioning one)

anyway cheers let me know what more info u need.
Old 3rd November 2005, 23:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Long live the handbrake?

GTO
That's one way...prefer using steering and brake pedal control myself...
Old 4th November 2005, 03:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u
well its a 92 model inline 6 (you rarely get to see inlines now) The Turbo was fitted aftermarket. since the cable has snapped the car has logged 293769 approx 8 months back. anyway cheers let me know what more info u need.
Sounds like a sweet ride. The only Nissan inline-6s I know are the Skyline, Cefiro and some older Bluebirds. Yes the US Altima is nothing like it. What turbo kit do you have in there.
Looking forward to the pics.(I've got an inline-6 RWD too)

Sorry to go maybe you should start a new thread.

Last edited by Mpower : 4th November 2005 at 03:43.
Old 5th November 2005, 10:45   #39
BHPian

Another reason why majority of the cars are tending towards FWD could be the fact that its slightly easier to manage and control cars with FWD in snow conditions since both power and steering is controlled by the front wheels. If a driver gets stuck, he/she can use the steering power of the front wheel to try to increase the traction for the wheels.

To this effect, the 2006 Infiniti G35 ( Which is generally avoided in areas of high snow - found out from an Infiniti dealer) has a sports package that allows the rear wheels to steer slightly :-).. I saw why not go the All Wheel Drive ( AWD) way as Subaru has been advocating for a long time.

Regards,
Sumit
Old 6th November 2005, 01:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

But if FWD are fro snow conditions then why sell them in INdia????
Old 6th November 2005, 10:11   #41
BHPian

because of the many other reasons cited for building FWD vehicles.

Regards,
Sumit
Old 22nd November 2005, 20:15   #42
BHPian

http://www.corollaperformance.com/TechInfo/RWD.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front-wheel_drive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear_wheel_drive

In modern factories, cars are manufactured by robots. It FWD cars, engine & gearbox is cast as single unit. It is far easier to manufacture this via automation than RWD cars. That's why most modern small/medium cars are FWD.
Old 22nd November 2005, 20:41   #43
Senior - BHPian

I don't think a FWD is bad in every case. It depends a lot apon the steering response, suspension setup, brake distribution, chassis rigidity etc.

A FWD with the right setup can be a good handler.

Shan2nu
Old 22nd November 2005, 21:35   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A FWD with the right setup can be a good handler.
But most of the times they arent...understeer really kills my happiness.

Drifter
Old 22nd November 2005, 22:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Thambi, I'm not exactly buying this logic. You'll see the same design in FWD cars also. Besides, one senior engineer from HM (don't laugh) told me this long back.
Saar my 2003 Civic didnt have this hump. I found this great since it made the back seats much better to sit in. Nice to have some clean, unobtrusive space.

Most Viewed