Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2007, 20:30   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
people can someone please tell me what AWD stands for?
i know what FWD and RWD is?
AWD- All Wheel Drive...
Old 8th April 2007, 20:38   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Sad to say that website is published wrong info.

The GTP is a special and unique car in many ways. First application of a the Chevy small block in a FWD car and the first car to have wider front tires than the rear.
the tire sizes are 255/45 r18 and 225/50 r18.these tires are w speed rated.they have wider front wheels help it in the characteristics of a fwd cars
and also many sites have their own info.some say fwd some say rwd.

edit: post 300.
Old 8th April 2007, 20:46   #123
Senior - BHPian

From the same website:
Quote:
Wider front wheels help the GXP achieve a more neutral cornering stance and optimize the inherent handling characteristics of a front-wheel drive vehicle.
The content editor typed in R instead of F. It's always been FF. I thought Pawan said it was FWD, and whatcanthisbe said it was RWD. My apologies.
Old 8th April 2007, 20:49   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
From the same website:

The content editor typed in R instead of F. It's always been FF. I thought Pawan said it was FWD, and whatcanthisbe said it was RWD. My apologies.
just checked up some more sites and some say rwd and some fwd but in pontiac's site they say fwd so the info was wrong.
Old 8th April 2007, 21:47   #125
BHPian

Quote:
I would like to know how many people here who claim to prefer RWD have driven a powerful RWD, say 200+ bhp, in tricky conditions, without traction control.
good question, ive driven quite a handful of RWD(bmw 330i, lexus IS 300) cars in heavy snow and with the traction control off, ive been passed by honda civics and minivans especially uphill while i was still fighting to get the car to go straight!!!!
but with traction control on and a good set of snow tires (NOT all seasons) RWD is perfectly driveable in tricky weather, just have to remember to give it opposite lock if you loose the rear end

edit: the grand prix is a common rental car and i can assure you it is FWD and yes it understeers.

Last edited by cheap_deal : 8th April 2007 at 21:51.
Old 9th April 2007, 01:10   #126
Senior - BHPian

people was FWD introduced first or the RWD or AWD?
as far i know Lamborgini i guess introduced the rearengined RWD haveing the engine placed in a horizontal manner like the one in the present FWD cars like accent, maruthi etc say what?
Old 9th April 2007, 02:36   #127
Senior - BHPian

RWD was introduced first. The first Benz was RWD.
Old 19th April 2007, 00:04   #128
BHPian

rear wheel drive any day for the drifting aspect atleast!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22nd April 2007, 12:48   #129
BHPian

Old thread which i found while searching the site for something else.
Another factor is weight-distribution.
The traction available at the driven wheels is the product of the load on it and the coefficient of friction. Thats why vehicles used for carrying higher load, like Qualis and all and the higher load carrying vehicles are RWD.

In fact by the same theory, AWD's should also accelerate faster(but i mean in a condition where there is loads of power and hence wheelslip), because affectively you have higher traction force available, which is the whole weight of the car multiplied by the coefficient of friction. Considering a case where I have a RWD or FWD, accelerate hard and there is lot of wheel-slip. If the same car is equipped with AWD, it would be able to put power to the road instead of it getting wasted in wheel spin. In FWD and RWD, traction would be lesser as it is limited to the load only on the driven wheels.
Old 22nd April 2007, 15:11   #130
Senior - BHPian

Thats true. The Veyron isn't as quick as it is just bcoz it has 1000ps/1001nm. It finally comes down to how much of that power can be converted into performance through traction.

The power to weight ratio of the Veyron is some 530bhp/ton compared to the 550-560bhp/ton of the Mclaren F1 and yet the Mclaren is slower to 100kmph by 0.7 secs. Had the Veyron been a RWD, things would have been diff.

Shan2nu
Old 6th May 2007, 12:59   #131
BHPian

Quote:
I would like to know how many people here who claim to prefer RWD have driven a powerful RWD, say 200+ bhp, in tricky conditions, without traction control.
my ride is a 92 model with No Traction control, No ABS, no modern control techs, around 200bhp at rear and its a sexy ride,
With a rwd i feel Strut braces should be oem as this helps alot in cornering and the drift is controllable obviously if you know what you are doing and dont drive in panic rwd is fun to drive in any condition.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 6th May 2007 at 13:02.
Old 8th May 2007, 13:12   #132
BHPian

RWD - coz of the fun factor.
Old 13th May 2007, 12:37   #133
BHPian

Why rear-wheel drive is coming back. - By Mickey Kaus - Slate Magazine
Old 5th August 2007, 21:38   #134

your nissan is beautiful man..

now getting back to the point...The only reason we dont get RWD is because the mechanical efficiency is lower than FWD cars and thus the Fuel efficiency is reduced. Mechanical efficiency is low because of the drive shaft and rear differential

Last edited by GTO : 6th August 2007 at 13:39. Reason: Please do NOT type in full caps. Thanks!
Old 7th August 2007, 01:07   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYRUS43 View Post
your nissan is beautiful man..

now getting back to the point...The only reason we dont get RWD is because the mechanical efficiency is lower than FWD cars and thus the Fuel efficiency is reduced. Mechanical efficiency is low because of the drive shaft and rear differential
The main reason for not getting RWD is not about mechanical efficiency, but the cost that is incurred with a RWD.

For a FWD the drivetrain components can be replicated across various models of varying dimensions which the RWD architecture won't allow. This reusability factor makes platform sharing easier. So it has to do more with manufacturers bottomlines rather than the consumers interests (off efficiance, safety or handling).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks