Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2021, 11:44   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cleaning the Dusthouse - AC VENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Hi Leoshashi, need a small help for AC cleaning of my Swift.

Recently the AC air started smelling a bit when I switch it ON or Switch off 2-3 minutes in advance before I park it. During running condition the AC air doesn't smell much (or I get used to it??).. I run it in recirculation mode only.
After you freshen the AC duct, the way to avoid the bad smell is this;

- Switch off the A/C and put the vent in the "Fresh Air" mode about a kilometer (5 minutes) before you reach you destination. You will never have the bad smell again.

The smell occurs because of mildew that forms from the condensation formed in the ducts from the AC.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 15:53   #137
BHPian

Re: Cleaning the Dusthouse - AC VENT

I live in Gurgaon, near to DEW (approach road is a kind of usual Gurgaon no road/ road under construction situation with full of dust, mud, sewerage- it is 365 days situation. Actual Gurgaon is like this beyond NH-8, Golf course road & adjoining areas and DLF areas). Hence I always keep the AC ON and in Recirculation mode only. I switch off the AC 2-3 minutes before ending the drive. It's a 4 year+ car and recently I am facing the smell problem (not very intense, but it happens when I switch ON and switch Off AC).

I change the AC cabin filter once during the yearly service irrespective of it is found dirty or clean.

Today I tried to open the AC cabin filter behind the glove box. First I removed the glovebox (I noticed how the technicians open the glovebox while changing the filter in Maruti service centre). And the AC filter upper cover plate removal was easy. Just two clips in RHS and LHS. Checked the filter and it was almost new condition (probably due to recirculation mode operation). But the filter housing is having a fine layer of dust. Tried to clean the surfaces with a wet cloth and fingers, but couldn't succeed. I'll try this once again in weekend. So I reverted back everything.

This front cover plate of the AC filter had a black colored flap type thing (made of some soft material). There was a layer of dust near the flap opening. Cleaned that area also. I guess this is the in cabin air intake for the AC. And there must be some gate mechanism in the black colored round shaped housing just below the filter. Can anyone confirm? (I'll take some photos next time)

And the air intake for direct mode seems to be under the windscreen spray area, becomes visible once I open the bonnet. This area is full of dust when I closely looked into it. Is it possible to clean it?

Now, my concerns are:

1. If I put some foam in the AC duct from the AC vents inside cabin, OR, spray from the outside air intake; ultimately the dirty liquid would go to the AC cooling coil somewhere backside of the dashboard- inaccessible unless we remove the dash? And deposition of such dirty liquid mixed with the cleaning chemicals would further aggravate the bacteria formation on the cooling coil and fins thereof? Because we are not able to clean that coil assembly. And being a coil assembly structure and wetness/ damp prevailing in that area; bacteria growth will come back soon (what I understood from other posts in T-BHP).

2. Is there any chance that the dirty liquid goes to the AC cabin filter and the AC blower and damage the electrical of the blower or blower itself? How is the circuit/ air path?

After these aspects are clear then only I'll use these foams or sppprays. Or am I wrong somewhere (chance is high because I am a newbie in car related things).

I am seen some videos in youtube (by quick fix pro) where he opened the vent covers and cleans the air path with lizol+water mix soaked cloth and a screw driver tool. And after cleaning runs the blower to dry and heater etc. This looks good to me. I tried to open the vents of my Swift. Couldn't find where exactly to insert the tool to open them. Seems they can be opened. But I am not aware where the panel locks are located. I'll try this again.

Last edited by RijuC : 6th April 2021 at 16:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks