Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2015, 21:09   #121

Re: Cleaning the Dusthouse - AC VENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Could possibly be mold on the evaporator core or a really dirty cabin air filter if there’s one. What car are we referring to here?
Car is Lancer 2006(P). I will check with the Cabin air filter too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Turn on the blower, turn off recirculation mode (so the car draws air from the outside), increase the temperature to the highest setting and let the heated air flow through the vents for some time. See if this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

As mentioned by Gannu, change your AC filter if your car has one.

I too had faced the same issue earlier in my Alto (no AC filter), to got rid of the same by following the steps mentioned by Gannu with a slight difference.

- Roll up all windows.
- Park the car in sun for a while so that interiors get hot.
- Start the engine.
- Turn the AC to maximum temperature, fan to max speed.
- Keep AC in circulation mode (this helps in getting the car temperature rise even faster)
- Wait outside the car, since it will be uncomfortable inside
- Keep the AC running this way for around 15~ 20 mins.

This helped me more than any deodorizer which I felt helps only till the fragrance lasts.
@Gannu, @mpksuhas: Thank-you for the steps, ill try and see whether the odour goes away through the above steps. Awesome!

Cheers
Roy
roymj88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 12:01   #122
BHPian

I am just thinking aloud, kindly correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Since all A/C systems (home and automobile) expect condensation to form within the walls of blower tube, there will be an outlet to collect and dispense the condensation fluid.

Going by the same logic, can we flush the A/C vents by spraying mist of disinfectant fluid and allow it to trickle down the outlet. The only bottleneck that I can think is the dust filter. Once that is out of the way, fluid can just go through the system and out through the outlet.

Is my understanding correct ?
Old 15th September 2016, 10:36   #123
Senior - BHPian

I have a quick question - is there an alternative for Gulf Neutralizer (the search keeps showing various posts from this & similar threads)? Gulf does not seem to be available anymore
Old 15th September 2016, 11:57   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I have a quick question - is there an alternative for Gulf Neutralizer (the search keeps showing various posts from this & similar threads)? Gulf does not seem to be available anymore
Last month, I did quite a search for the similar products and finally bought Tuf Kote AC coil cleaner from Tolexo and used it as mentioned on the product label and it is one month now and I can say that AC smell is gone.

http://www.tolexo.com/tufseal-500-ml...018000853.html

In addition to using as mentioned on the product, I also did one round of spraying from outside (AC inlet below the bonnet) like how Lysol is used (guess in US) for cleaning ACs and overall result is good.

Tuf Kote is a 500 ml spray can and would be sufficient for 3 uses I suppose.
KK_HakunaMatata is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 11:43   #125
BHPian

I wanted to get the AC system cleaned for the Santro that we bought pre-owned. Since I couldne source Gulf, picked up Valvoline Odour eliminator. Picked this up from Bay 6 and a can costed me Rs 380.
Cleaning the Dusthouse - AC VENT-img_20161007_101643265.jpg

The procedure to apply is not that complicated.
- Close all windows.
- Switch to fresh air mode
- Turn on AC and blower to full speed.
- Spray half the can thru the external air intake. Let it run for about 2 minutes.
- Turn to heater, the AC control.
- Spray the remaining half. Same, run for 2 minutes.

Cleaning the Dusthouse - AC VENT-img_20161007_101716013.jpg

This left a spearmint smell thru the system.
I wanted a foam clean like the gulf AC neutralizer, still looking out for one.
Old 12th October 2016, 22:12   #126
Senior - BHPian

The one from Tufseal is quite decent. I got one from another brand, possible ABRO that did the job but I wasnt too fond of the fragrance it left behind. Too artificial flowery like the old ADD Gel perfume ink pen
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 19:10   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

I did a DIY cleaning of air vents, and disinfecting the evaporator coil, which is the breeding house of odour-creating fungi.

I used the following two products:

1. 3M's Air conditioner disinfectant foam
2. Liqui Moly's Klima Fresh

1. The 3M foam was used with the intention of cleaning the dust in the vent, and with that low expectation, it lived upto its name. The vent was thoroughly cleaned, and I couldn't spot any dust inside the vents. However, it didn't make any difference to the odour coming from the AC unit. Instead, it made matters worse with the odour of the foam lasting almost 2 days.

For cleaning the dust, its good. But don't expect it to remove much odour.
Cleaning the Dusthouse - AC VENT-img_20161024_163305413.jpg

Cleaning the Dusthouse - AC VENT-img_20161024_163402491.jpg

Cleaning the Dusthouse - AC VENT-img_20161024_163832689.jpg

2. Liqui Moly'S Klima Fresh- This is a quality product, and I won't think twice before recommending this to anyone. I have used many AC disinfectants and this works the best.

Cleaning the Dusthouse - AC VENT-img_20161024_162401399.jpg

All you need to do is locate the recirculation gate of your car. In most cars, its near the passenger side footwell. The can lasts for about 15 minutes, and completely eliminates all odour. It has been around 2 months since I used this disinfectant, and I am happy to report that the foul smell hasn't returned till now.

How it works:-

Bought from-Amazon
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 19:44   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I did a DIY cleaning of air vents, and disinfecting the evaporator coil, which is the breeding house of odour-creating fungi.

I used the following two products:

Bought from-Amazon
Thanks for sharing. Thought I'll paste the link to Liqui Moly products in Amazone.

http://www.amazon.in/b?ie=UTF8&node=8988782031
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 10:17   #129
BHPian

Have purchased both of them:-

1. 3M's Air conditioner disinfectant foam &

My suggestions to the prospective buyers, if you are planning to purchase 3M's Air conditioner disinfectant foam, please buy TWO cans. For my Honda City, one can was not enough. One can may be sufficient for small cars.

I think more effective one is 'Liqui Moly's Klima Fresh', as it circulates along all AC ducts. But if the ducts having too much of dust, you have to apply foam cleaner first.
Sail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 13:42   #130
BHPian

I've been cleaning the vents in my (almost) 9 yr old swift by the usual methods. Gulf foam in the initial years and 3M after the Gulf product was discontinued. The results were mixed and mostly satisfactory but I figured that it was time to take the whole thing apart and do a proper clean up job. The coil, as expected was pretty disgusting as were the vents and at the end of it all the difference was fantastic! Unfortunately this is a slightly tedious process but it's something that really needs to be done.
Other members have documented the process so it would be superfluous to do that in my post however I am attaching a pic of my car with the dashboard removed which gives an idea of how horrible things can get in there.
Attachments area
Attached Thumbnails
Cleaning the Dusthouse - AC VENT-dash.jpg  

Roy.S is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 14:31   #131
BHPian

Hi All,

I own a 2019 Elite I20 Asta(O) Diesel model and it has run about 24000 km approx. to date. It was regularly serviced at Hyundai showroom on time.

Recently from past 3 months i have not used the care for more than 50 km approx. due to the lock down, where as before I used to run 75kms a day from Hosur, Tamilnadu to Mrathahlli, Bengaluru everyday to my office.

I have observed a weird issue recently, when i turn on the AC, there is some white powder blowing out from the air vents and this happens only the first time when i turn on AC after a brief rest and not when i am using car continuously on the same day.

Kindly help me to know what is the issue exactly and how to avoid this.

Thanks in advance
Old 24th February 2021, 08:37   #132
Senior - BHPian

I think FK shipped me a fake product. I'd bought this product for the first time, and when I used it - a water like chemical was all over my interior. It just did not get into the ducts. Should I try the Meguiar's equivalent, I wonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Liqui Moly's Klima Fresh
Attached Thumbnails
Cleaning the Dusthouse - AC VENT-img_0489.jpg  

Cleaning the Dusthouse - AC VENT-img_0491.jpg  

Old 24th February 2021, 09:00   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I think FK shipped me a fake product. I'd bought this product for the first time, and when I used it - a water like chemical was all over my interior. It just did not get into the ducts. Should I try the Meguiar's equivalent, I wonder
Klima Fresh doesn't clean your ducts. Its more of an Evaporator cleaner/disinfectant, something which removes foul smell, rather than dust. We need to point it towards "Recirculation intake" and then activate it's trigger. Low pressure or improper trigger often causes liquid to not reach the intended spot properly. Also the mechanism is a bit hard to use. They now come in sprayable design. You probably got the older stock.

If it's the dust you want to clean then better try some foaming product, like 3M. For Evaporator disinfection, there are better variants available today like Option1 or Option2.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 00:22   #134
BHPian

Hi Leoshashi, need a small help for AC cleaning of my Swift.

Recently the AC air started smelling a bit when I switch it ON or Switch off 2-3 minutes in advance before I park it. During running condition the AC air doesn't smell much (or I get used to it??).. I run it in recirculation mode only.

1. I would like to know what is the sequence of usage of various products like 3M foam and the option-1 & option-2 you suggested.

2. Whether the AC cabin filter (which is fitted somewhere behind the glove box) need to be removed first before starting these cleaning or filter can be in place?

3. If I use the foam only in the duct by inserting the tubes through AC vent, where the water will be drained? Inside the cabin? Any effect on the AC filter?

4. You have suggested that the other bottle to be used near the changeover gate for direct/recirculation mode. Where is that gate located for Swift?

5. In some YouTube videos I could see the front bumper need to be removed in order to clean the AC condenser, radiator parts etc. Is it somehow possible without removing the bumper?

6. Is there any other method / route to clean the AC duct/ path like starting from the intake side?
Old 6th April 2021, 04:43   #135
Senior - BHPian

Did you chaps change your car ac filter first? Replacing it even every 5000 km works best in the dusty conditions of our local roads regardless of the manual saying 10k km. Most car services even ASS ones may not even bother with it, leading to eventual cooling coil clogging, funny smells from the vent etc.

DIY in most cars as it’s behind the glovebox. For some like the Fiesta it is behind a panel in the gearshift column, and needs an Allen key to open the panel. For still others (old Amaze for example) there’s no ac filter provided even if a dummied box exists that you can cut open and fit a filter into it.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks