Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2012, 19:41   #61
BHPian

Re: Cleaning the Dusthouse - AC VENT

hi, i bought the OWS Air Con Cleaner. A bit expensive, but convenient and at delivered at your doorstep.

My 5 month old i10 has this slight smell for ~ 30 secs, more noticeable when the fan is switched on. Then fades away.

The product is simple enough to use. Put it in the A/C vents. Wait for 20 minutes. Then run the blower for a couple of minutes and then start using normally. Some websites also suggested to look out for the drain pipe in the underbody and spray it up for better cleaning of the evaporator.

Anyway, tried the vent route. There is a pleasant, professional smell now. However, there is a bit of the old smell still - must mention though that the duration and strength of the smell has reduced noticeably. Maybe I'll just have to use the blower and recirculation mode more often.

Last edited by d_himan : 7th January 2012 at 19:59.
Old 28th January 2012, 16:30   #62
BHPian

Quick update: have used the OWS Air Con cleaner in my Accord as well - excellent results for the past fortnight now. The car smells new and fresh.
Old 26th March 2012, 21:39   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Quick update: have used the OWS Air Con cleaner in my Accord as well - excellent results for the past fortnight now. The car smells new and fresh.
Hi, could you let know the price and store location in Mumbai of this product.
thanks,
Old 27th March 2012, 08:48   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hi, could you let know the price and store location in Mumbai of this product.
thanks,
Ordered it online - Speedworks
Old 20th April 2012, 15:08   #65
BHPian

Just wanted help on cleaning cabin air filters in my Honda City ZX. I am not able to locate the cabin air filters. Does anyone know where the cabin air filter is placed in the Honda city ZX?
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:39   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Ordered it online - Speedworks
Ain't it a bit costly as compared to the Gulf product? Is the full can needed for a single cleaning?
Any info on where to get the Gulf product or is it not in the market anymore?
Old 2nd May 2012, 17:38   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi, i bought the OWS Air Con Cleaner. A bit expensive, but convenient and at delivered at your doorstep.

My 5 month old i10 has this slight smell for ~ 30 secs, more noticeable when the fan is switched on. Then fades away.

The product is simple enough to use. Put it in the A/C vents. Wait for 20 minutes. Then run the blower for a couple of minutes and then start using normally. Some websites also suggested to look out for the drain pipe in the underbody and spray it up for better cleaning of the evaporator.

Anyway, tried the vent route. There is a pleasant, professional smell now. However, there is a bit of the old smell still - must mention though that the duration and strength of the smell has reduced noticeably. Maybe I'll just have to use the blower and recirculation mode more often.
few queries:
- did you just put the nozzle in the vent and spray or how?
- how much quantity does one have to spray?
- how many vents did one can last?
- the speedworks site says Use only after disconnecting from electrical power. did you disconnect the battery before using the product?

one more - what is the delivery time?

Old 3rd May 2012, 09:31   #68
BHPian

Answers:

1. Yes, it's a bit expensive. I couldn't source Gulf anywhere. I realized I was spending 500 bucks on Petrol in the search and thought it was stupid. So gave this a try.

2. One sprays till the vents fill up with foam. The pipe needs to be put deep inside the vent.

3. I've used it thrice so far (in 3 cars) and I think there's enough for a couple more.

4. I didn't disconnect anything. Just didn't have the key in ignition.

5. Delivery is quick. 3-4 days. The customer service is pretty responsive and helpful.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:15   #69
BHPian

The guys at Kropex offered to clean my air con system (Spark LT) for 800Rs. The SA said that they'll take the dash apart to do the cleaning. Got a bit nervous and so didn't do it. Your thoughts / views?
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:01   #70
Senior - BHPian

The 3M India website also has an AC cleaning product listed, but till now I haven't been able to find one in any car accessory shop.

3M India: Air Conditioner Cleaner Foam

Planning to check in one of the 3M outlets this weekend. If they don't have it, then maybe it's another urban legend just like the Gulf AC neutralizer

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:05   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
The guys at Kropex offered to clean my air con system (Spark LT) for 800Rs. The SA said that they'll take the dash apart to do the cleaning. Got a bit nervous and so didn't do it. Your thoughts / views?
why would they need to dismantle the dashboard to clean the aircon? is this a standard practice for the Spark? for the Getz, the aircon filter is behind/under the dashboard, but they don't remove the dashboard to clean it (at least that's what i know).
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:42   #72
BHPian

@Himan: So the can is good for cleaning a car 5 times, then I guess its good value for money.
How long does the freshness last? In chennai it will be great if it can last a month, before requiring cleaning again.
Old 4th May 2012, 09:57   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
why would they need to dismantle the dashboard to clean the aircon? is this a standard practice for the Spark? for the Getz, the aircon filter is behind/under the dashboard, but they don't remove the dashboard to clean it (at least that's what i know).
I was wondering the same. Got a bit scared that they'll take it apart and then start listing more things to get done. And hence refused.

TBHP Gurus, your suggestions / views on this?
Old 4th May 2012, 10:24   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
The 3M India website also has an AC cleaning product listed, but till now I haven't been able to find one in any car accessory shop.

3M India: Air Conditioner Cleaner Foam

Planning to check in one of the 3M outlets this weekend. If they don't have it, then maybe it's another urban legend just like the Gulf AC neutralizer

Cheers,
Vikram
I checked with the 3M car care outlet long back (Dec 2010) they said its not available for retail. You need to get their AC duct sanitizing done from them for 475 Rs (the service cost then, not sure how much now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Yes its true, but how old is your vehicle ? Once in 5 yrs or 80k KM its better to do this. The actual procedure is
1. to recycle the refrigerent & drain the engine coolant (if your car has HVAC)
2. remove the ac line from evaporator and heater lines from heater core
3. dismantle the dash remove the aircon unit out of car.
4. take out the evaporator and clean with running water
5. dry with mild compressed air.
6. reinstall the evaporator (with new o rings) and heater core lines.

Now its important to vaccum the AC lines for 30 - 45 mins before you fill the actual amount of refrigerant (mean for your car) in it and check for any leaks in the process.
Old 4th May 2012, 12:07   #75
BHPian

Sorry mybad, the point #1 actually is recover the refrigerant not recycle :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks