Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2009, 14:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

@Auto_mechengg,

I have never noticed the "krrr krrr" noise at lower RPM's, rather, it is not present.

The only time this comes is when I do a full right turn and only a right turn.

I need to check the grease. Missed that out!
Old 6th July 2009, 14:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
@Auto_mechengg,

I have never noticed the "krrr krrr" noise at lower RPM's, rather, it is not present.

You need to get your axle checked.
Old 6th July 2009, 15:08   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
as it is altos drive shafts make noise. " krrrr krrr" when driven at lower rpms in high gear. this is a peculiar alto problem. things get worse as the odo ticks more. there is a slight noise in my left drive shaft.
will see if the grease is intact. i should have checked this earlier
Are you getting the "krrrr krrr" noise OR "tuk tuk" noise ?
Old 6th July 2009, 15:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Auto_mechengg,

dont know how to explain in words, but had a long debate with this noise is MUL. checked all brand new altos too. the same noise comes.
do one thing keep driving on 3rd gear at speeds on say 30-40 and then pull off your foot from the accelerator. let the car move at same speed. then the speed drops to around 20 the peculiar grinding sounds come.

when spoken to MUL engineers at gurgaon over the phone they said that this is due to peculiar extra clearance given on the drive shafts to cope-up with the slight imbalance of the 3 cylinder engine. this sound does not come on wagon R.
however i was not much convinced with this answer. but since this sound was present on 3-4 brand new altos i drove i decided to live with it.

this sound doesnt come when you are accelerating.
if you are getting the sound only when turning to the right, your right side drive shaft bearings are kaput. check with greasing. or else you need to change the driveshaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
its a peculiar grinding noise. something resonating as is moving out of balance. its a cyclic kind of noise.

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 6th July 2009 at 15:21.
Old 6th July 2009, 15:22   #20
BANNED

Noise was coming in my Alto at low speeds when turning to right side. Finally changed the axle@76,000 KMS.
Old 6th July 2009, 15:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
This is quite timely. We are changing the driveshafts every 1.5 years approx and around 8 Lower arms in one year, i.e. four sets overall in one year.

Is it possible that the quality of parts used is not good as every 1.5 years ( approx ) the tick-tick noise starts coming, so its time for a new drive shaft. But is it that the driveshaft's life gets over so fast ?
What in general is average life expectancy of driveshaft for M800 ? I think they must last atleast 40K. I have broken down a damaged shaft of our M800 and noticed that CV joints were hard.
Is there any other thing that we can put in place of rubber boot ?

You gotta be kidding if thats for one car???? please do clarify that one!
Old 6th July 2009, 16:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
You need to get your axle checked.
Thanks for the info, will do!

Quote:
Mmm... now to think of it, it is the small "tuk tuk tuk" sound.

Quote:
... do one thing keep driving on 3rd gear at speeds on say 30-40 and then pull off your foot from the accelerator. let the car move at same speed. then the speed drops to around 20 the peculiar grinding sounds come...
Will check on the way back and let you know.

Quote:
Noise was coming in my Alto at low speeds when turning to right side. Finally changed the axle@76,000 KMS.
Ah, so you know what it is and the way to solve it. Seems like the axle then.
Old 6th July 2009, 17:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

had a quick visit to the MASS while on my way home. they checked the drive shaft and the coupler which is greased from the factory itself.
the thing is as long as the rubber below " bood is what mechanics call it" is intact i.e not torn the grease does not fall off.
there is no such schedule of greasing the joint. if at all someone insists to grease it the rubber below which is clipped has to be taken off and later it does not fit back. one has to change the bellow and for that they have to open the drive shaft.
so no need to grease as long as the bellow is not torn off.
Old 6th July 2009, 19:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... do one thing keep driving on 3rd gear at speeds on say 30-40 and then pull off your foot from the accelerator. let the car move at same speed. then the speed drops to around 20 the peculiar grinding sounds come...
Quote:
... Will check on the way back and let you know...
Checked and fortunately no sound. Tried it couple of time and the same result - no sound.
Old 6th July 2009, 20:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Checked and fortunately no sound. Tried it couple of time and the same result - no sound.
check once with AC on.
Old 6th July 2009, 23:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
For how many cars? Don't say for one car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvhead View Post
You gotta be kidding if thats for one car???? please do clarify that one!
Actually its for one car and that car is 1992 Carb Maruti 800. Till around 65K kms. things were fine. After that we shifted home roads here are real bad, I mean I can make a LandCruiser rattle in a month let alone MB/BMW/Fiat cars. But then also I think that the time limit is very short for changing the parts. Thats why posted to know if anybody else is facing the same issue.

We are tired of these suspension maintenance. Engine is perfect as is gear box, but the chassis and body are asking for too much work.

Shall I try changing the workshop ? Currently its a local workshop that servicing our Maruti 800, but we are very old customers, so I doubt he is cheating us. Could it be substandard quality parts ?
Old 7th July 2009, 00:48   #27
BHPian

The right front CVV boot got torn on my OHC recently. Linkway Honda wanted to replace the axle assembly. That would cost 9k, so got it done outside, the cvv boot was torn and got it changed for a negligible amount, but was done at a trustworthy place.

Wonder how off road vehicles handle this from an engineering perspective, since clearly in normal road cars the cvv boot is fragile and can easily get torn.
Old 7th July 2009, 11:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
The right front CVV boot got torn on my OHC recently. Linkway Honda wanted to replace the axle assembly. That would cost 9k, so got it done outside, the cvv boot was torn and got it changed for a negligible amount, but was done at a trustworthy place.

Wonder how off road vehicles handle this from an engineering perspective, since clearly in normal road cars the cvv boot is fragile and can easily get torn.
generally the boot doesnt get torn of easily. the OEM boot is very flexible and og high quality material. the aftermarket ones are made of low quality rubber and get torn off easily.
i have been using my alto on very rough roads too. the boot is as good as new even after 48k kms. but once you open it for greasing, i mean the clips at the end then it cannot be fitted properly back in place. you have to put in new boot.
Old 8th July 2009, 10:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Today i noticed that the left side bood on my steering rake is torn and there is some oil leak seen on the suspension arm, the steering has no play, however there is a whining sound when the steering is turned completely (bothsides) the service advisor said its the motor. Should i get the boot fixed or should i wait till next month when my car goes for a complete suspension job, please advise, there is also a slight cut cut sound when i am driving slow on a higher gear(is it normal, i have noticed this very recently)

Car: 2000 Lancer GLXI
Millage:120k
Fuel type: Petrol
Old 9th July 2009, 00:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
You will notice a clicking sound on full turns. If you have been running on damaged boots, get the up on a hoist and check if the grease has turned dry. Replace the parts if there is any damage.
I checked the car and the boots are both torn, the right side is knocking "tak tak" now. I'm going to try and change the boot and grease, and I'm due a service in a months time - I guess I have to change the drive shaft then.
Its a total of 6 hrs drive to service the car and get back... the nearest HASS is 3hrs away

Most Viewed