Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2011, 18:26   #106

Re: Driveshaft/Axle Maintainance

Hey Guys,
Does anyone know where can I get replacement axle shaft assembly (front) in New Delhi for Honda CR-V 2005 ?
My mechanic says that axle needs to be replaced as the boot clip was broken due to which the car was running dry for 3-4 weeks. After I inquired from Pearl honda Noida, they said the total cost of both axle assembly is 65000.
After a bit of research it seems the "replacement" axle assembly is available in US for $150-$200, I think it is possible to ship them to India, but I am afraid they would be reliable and would end up escalating my cost further?
Old 12th September 2011, 21:03   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhim23 View Post
My mechanic says that axle needs to be replaced as the boot clip was broken due to which the car was running dry for 3-4 weeks.
If there is no sound on full lock of steering as yet, you can replace the boot and proceed for a while, till the CV joints starts sounding on full lock. Afterwhich, look for replacement.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 21:57   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs
If there is no sound on full lock of steering as yet, you can replace the boot and proceed for a while, till the CV joints starts sounding on full lock. Afterwhich, look for replacement.
Thanks dhanush, I have already replaced the boot. It does make a clunk noise @ left steering full lock, but only if turned at 25+ or so. The mechanic has given 3-4 month at best.
Old 31st May 2012, 10:12   #109

Hello,

I am contemplating buying GSP drive shaft for my Skoda Laura automatic (DSG). Anyone with experience in buying GSP drive shafts before? Please advise.

And yes, it is confirmed as a drive-shaft issue (both left & right), so I need to get it changed. It is about 5x to 6x times more expensive at the skoda A.S.S :(

It is also difficult to procure original parts from outside...

Regards!
Old 1st June 2012, 01:05   #110
Senior - BHPian

Isn't GSP a Chinese company. have got no experience of it whatsoever. Please post in skoda parts thread. People who own skoda can help.

BTW what is the skoda oem one made by?
Old 1st June 2012, 02:02   #111
BHPian

@laurabeast - Used it on my Corolla for about a year. Not the best replacement part for high end cars. Would suggest you look around. Try Namo Auto, Mahavir or Benz Auto for good quality parts.
Old 16th January 2015, 18:06   #112
BHPian

Guys, attached are pics of my Maruti 800's LH engine-side (inner CV joint) boot. It's torn and the grease is slowly coming out (it's not become dry yet). The wheel-side boot is perfectly OK. I was planning on driving about 500km this weekend. Can I continue with my plan or is this an urgent must-fix? Can I cover it with some duct tape until I get to having it fixed?

We recently concluded a 1000km trip and had no noises or problems whatsoever, but after I saw this today, I'm re-thinking about my plans.

I wouldn't have noticed it at all, but as I was topping up windshield fluid and coolant I shone my flashlight around and noticed this:
Attached Thumbnails
Driveshaft / Axle Maintenance-img_20150116_173652.jpg  

Driveshaft / Axle Maintenance-img_20150116_173843.jpg  

Last edited by hellmet : 16th January 2015 at 18:22.
Old 16th January 2015, 18:58   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Guys, attached are pics of my Maruti 800's LH engine-side (inner CV joint) boot. It's torn and the grease is slowly coming out (it's not become dry yet). The wheel-side boot is perfectly OK. I was planning on driving about 500km this weekend. Can I continue with my plan or is this an urgent must-fix? Can I cover it with some duct tape until I get to having it fixed?

We recently concluded a 1000km trip and had no noises or problems whatsoever, but after I saw this today, I'm re-thinking about my plans.

I wouldn't have noticed it at all, but as I was topping up windshield fluid and coolant I shone my flashlight around and noticed this:
If sound is not comming and grease still wet. you are lucky. Hence would not recommend to drive even for 5 kms.

Axle boot and grease are cheap. drive shaft is not. so its your call.

Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 19:26   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but after I saw this today, I'm re-thinking about my plans.
You are right to tarry.... change the rubber boot asap.
BTW hope you don't get a click-click sound when turning the car on full steering lock. If you do - then I am afraid much more than the rubber boot has gone bad.
Old 16th January 2015, 20:45   #115
BHPian

Okay.

Does anyone know if these are available in India? Split boots like these would help people like you and me install new boots without opening up anything!

Old 17th January 2015, 10:29   #116
Senior - BHPian

what do you mean by 'are these split boots available in India' ? He has split a boot and attached it with glue no ? What is this type of glue ? If that is know then any roadside mechanic or garage can do it.
Old 17th January 2015, 10:58   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay.

Does anyone know if these are available in India? Split boots like these would help people like you and me install new boots without opening up anything!
Changing an axle boot is a VERY simple procedure for a MASS trust me. And NO, don't go for your trip without fixing a new boot. A 300 rupee fix will suddenly convert into a 3000 rupee replacement.

1) Lift the car on ramp,

2) Remove your wheel

3) Disconnect tie rod end, now the strut will move in any direction you want so that axle can be removed.

4) Replace axle boot

5) Refix everything back.

All this will take less than half an hour.
humyum is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 23:43   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Changing an axle boot is a VERY simple procedure for a MASS trust me. And NO, don't go for your trip without fixing a new boot. A 300 rupee fix will suddenly convert into a 3000 rupee replacement.

1) Lift the car on ramp,

2) Remove your wheel

3) Disconnect tie rod end, now the strut will move in any direction you want so that axle can be removed.

4) Replace axle boot

5) Refix everything back.

i am afraid it will take much more than half hour. as replacing boot is not a easy DIY.

as you need a table clamp/vice and you need to remove the universal joint bearing.
Old 18th January 2015, 11:20   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
i am afraid it will take much more than half hour. as replacing boot is not a easy DIY.

as you need a table clamp/vice and you need to remove the universal joint bearing.
Hey, if its the axle side boot, I ll just need a hammering or two to get it out, if its the one on the other end, I agree, will take sometime.

I had replaced my 800 boot back then in like an hour, but that was also because I hardly had the right tools that time.
Old 19th January 2015, 12:25   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
A 300 rupee fix will suddenly convert into a 3000 rupee replacement.

Thanks!

Got the boot replaced at MASS for Rs.350, and took 30min exactly as you said.

Even more anger towards Bosch for their pathetic "service" that didn't involve basic checks such as the functioning of windshield wiper motor, lack of fluid, less coolant, broken axle boot, hard-to-operate keyholes, conked DRL, etc. Huge list. Never returning to Bosch ever!
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks