Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2020, 12:36   #91
BHPian

Re: Rusting problem in Fiat Linea

I have some good news in respect of my earlier thread above. Autocar India has responded! They said they will follow up the matter seriously!!!

This was the reply I got:

"Thanks for writing in and we are sorry you have had corrosion problems with your Linea.

We will take up your case strongly with FCA and we hope they get in touch with you to help resolve your issues. We are also happy to take this case up in our magazine.

Best regards,

Autocar India"

The Hyson Service Centre's advisor and CRM were not too optimistic about FCA footing my bill. I hope that with Autocar India's intervention, they will respond more favourably.
JohnKT777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 23:40   #92
BHPian

I have a fiat linea with the same issue. But i guess this problem is common for all cars in a city like mumbai. Rusting under the cowl is very normal due to accumulation of debris and hence moisture.
Old 21st July 2020, 03:24   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKT777 View Post
I feel this is inherently unfair, especially to a car that is single-owned, regularly serviced and periodically maintained.
Agreed but to expect any help from FCA for a car that is almost 6 years old would be wishful thinking. Anyway; now that you have reached them, let us see what they say.

If you want to keep costs in check, I recommend approaching an independent garage that does good vehicle restoration, repairs to attend to the rust problem. They will do a far better job than any FCA garage.

I did own a Fiat Linea T Jet for a good 5 years but in Bangalore, where moisture or salt content in the air isn't as much of a problem as in coastal areas. That said, I did ensure the car was always dried properly, after a wash and there was no water standing in some of those tiny, difficult to access areas. Its an Italian car after all. No way they are going to build it like the Japanese.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 21:01   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Agreed but to expect any help from FCA for a car that is almost 6 years old would be wishful thinking. Anyway; now that you have reached them, let us see what they say.
Sadly, wishful thinking was exactly what it turned out to be. Hyson Fiat Kochi's CRM called me today with the update. Several important structural components have to be replaced. They have pegged the estimate at Rs. 65,000. Fiat apparently has decided to give me a 50% discount on the parts and a 30% discount on the labour costs. My bill will therefore come to Rs. 43,000.

After thinking and discussing with my family, I've decided not to go for the repairs. I'll ask the Dealer to return my vehicle. I'll drive it for as long as I can and then junk it. My reasons are the following:

1. Car is 5.5 years old
2. Fiat cars have poor resale value
3. Fiat as a brand no longer sells in India
4. My job situation is undertain
5. I'm WFH with 50% pay-cut.

I don't know what else to say. Nobody discovered the rusting before I did. I was responsible as an owner. The rust originated from inside out.

I haven't heard from Autocar India since the 15th of July. I'm just hoping for a miracle. My wife believes that God himself will come to our aid. Considering our present circumstances, I've left my problems to the Almighty.
JohnKT777 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 04:55   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKT777 View Post
I'll drive it for as long as I can and then junk it.
Good call.

I am glad that they atleast offered you that. I would not pursue it though. Those are fairly small spots of rust. An independent garage can scrape that off and put a fresh coat of primer, paint on it so you get some more life from the car. Should cost a fraction of the discounted quote FCA provided you. You can try and do some of it as a DIY too. Some surface rust can be scrapped off with sand paper.

Use the car for as long as it runs. I've seen cars with far worse rust that are still running.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks