Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2009, 17:54   #1
BHPian

Rusting problem in Fiat Linea

My Fiat Linea is exactly one month old.

When I bought it, I could not get done the anti-rust treatment or teflon coating (whatever they call it nowadays) coz its the rainy season here in Delhi NCR region.

The problem is that there is a very small patch on the dicky (around 5 mm) which has begun rusting.

ABS Motors in Gurgaon said that the rusting could be the reason of missing paint from the factory.

Since it rains frequently, I still cannot get the treatment on the car for another month or so.

What should I do with this small rusty patch?

let abs do their thing? would it void the warranty?
find a proper paint shop? i think Wheelforce Center::Bosch Authorised Service Center is in delhi. can go there.
contact fiat and complain about it? they have not responded to any of my mails in the past.
is it covered under warranty? abs guys seems to not accept that.
ignore this problem? and it won't spread around the spot?

Last edited by Sushubh : 15th August 2009 at 17:56.
Old 15th August 2009, 18:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Where is this patch?
Is it on the boot lid?
Can you post photographs?

Rusting in a month old car is 100% the manufacturers fault, unless the paint/coating in that area has been damaged by you...
Old 15th August 2009, 18:13   #3
BHPian

alright here is the photo. you can see that the patch is at a location where i could not have caused it. :P

here is the big size.
Attached Thumbnails
Rusting problem in Fiat Linea-3822422033_f0b052e978_b.jpg  

Old 15th August 2009, 18:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Could you post a zoomed out pic also? I've no idea where it is or how big it actually is.
Old 15th August 2009, 18:19   #5
BHPian

it is in the dicky. the dark area is the rear windshield. the dicky is open in these photos coz the rusty signs are visible with it open. the patch is around 1 cm long on the edge. i can now see two patches instead of one which was visible before. looks like it is increasing at this very moment. :(

ok here are the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Rusting problem in Fiat Linea-3823254764_26c84bfcfc.jpg  

Rusting problem in Fiat Linea-3822447623_7148f5f8f8.jpg  

Rusting problem in Fiat Linea-3823250496_9383fd476d.jpg  

Last edited by Sushubh : 15th August 2009 at 18:29.
Old 15th August 2009, 18:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

You need to try and get the dicky replaced.. under warranty.
Old 15th August 2009, 18:31   #7
BHPian

Agree with AbhiJ. This is indeed a manufacturing defect.
Old 15th August 2009, 18:31   #8
BHPian

so how do i go ahead with it? ABS Motors did not express any concern that it is a problem that is covered under the warranty. In fact, as per them every problem is 'usual' stuff. I bought it from Swan Motors in Sonepat. I live in Gurgaon however.
Old 15th August 2009, 18:36   #9
BHPian

the anti-rust treatment wouldnt have helped. AFAIK its for the underbody only. The teflon coating may only have delayed this and I think you were lucky to spot it so early on. Get on Fiats case.

P.S. I do not have high expectations of a successful resolution. FIAT please prove me wrong.
Old 15th August 2009, 18:40   #10
BHPian

heh alright. i am all prepared to take on Fiat India with this one.

I would keep this thread updated....
Old 15th August 2009, 18:40   #11
BHPian

Rusting in a one month old car is definitely a fault at the manufacturer's end, try speahing to your dealership abouot this.Dont get any painting done for now.
Old 15th August 2009, 18:47   #12
BHPian

the dealer where i got this car? coz that is in another city.

i can visit abs motors in Gurgaon. but i doubt they are going to do much about it. when i showed them the problem last time around, they said a patchwork would fix the problem. no mention of any warranty related replacement.

should i also send a mail to fiat india with the photos asking for their help?

suggestions are welcome.

these photos show worse conditions compared to last time around. i had checked these spots 3-4 days ago when i was abs motors service station getting the door knobs fixed which had started skipping!

----

Tried sending the photos to Fiat India guys ( ceodesk@fiapl.com Mangesh.Kodalkar@fiapl.com Aashish.Bhardwaj@fiapl.com)

All three emails bounced with the message:

Quote:
Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.7.1 Message rejected due to content restrictions (state 18).
Looks like they do not accept embedded photos.

Last edited by Sushubh : 15th August 2009 at 18:57.
Old 15th August 2009, 19:16   #13
BHPian

Please immediately get in touch with your TASS.
Either get the Dicky replaced under warranty (or) get it repainted after doing a chemical treatment for antirusting.

All these will be done at your TASS.

I too had this issue on the door pads. I am yet to get it repainted but not as serious as this one.

Mine was because the paint peeled off around the screws and the portion started rusting. FIAT had promised me to do the antirust chemical treatment and repainting with an assurance that rusting will not happen again at that portion.
Old 15th August 2009, 19:16   #14
BHPian

Do not agree for any patchwork repaint or anything of that sort. They have to replace the faulty part. Not other options. The dealer will try his best to push you to accept the patchwork, but dont agree. Patchwork will come back to haunt you later when the vehicle is out of warranty and then they will tell you to replace it.
Old 15th August 2009, 19:20   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushubh View Post
the dealer where i got this car? coz that is in another city.

i can visit abs motors in Gurgaon. but i doubt they are going to do much about it. when i showed them the problem last time around, they said a patchwork would fix the problem. no mention of any warranty related replacement.

should i also send a mail to fiat india with the photos asking for their help?

suggestions are welcome.

these photos show worse conditions compared to last time around. i had checked these spots 3-4 days ago when i was abs motors service station getting the door knobs fixed which had started skipping!

----

Tried sending the photos to Fiat India guys ( ceodesk@fiapl.com Mangesh.Kodalkar@fiapl.com Aashish.Bhardwaj@fiapl.com)

All three emails bounced with the message:

Looks like they do not accept embedded photos.

Yes; pls get in touch with FIAT India. Those email Ids are correct. Save the photos in *.jpg format and send it. Resize it as the file sizes may be huge.

You will receive a reply from FIAT within 48 hours as well FIAT will also advise your TASS what need to be done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks