Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 17:12   #31
BANNED

@karizma_devil: I would see if I can switch to good old Lucas TVS or NipponDenso. It is quite likely that it will be a compatible mount. Otherwise look for something from the Hyundai / Maruti stables.
Old 25th August 2009, 17:47   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@karizma_devil: I would see if I can switch to good old Lucas TVS or NipponDenso. It is quite likely that it will be a compatible mount. Otherwise look for something from the Hyundai / Maruti stables.
Am not sure if I can mount any other make rather than Bosch 90 Amps!
Denso is pretty cheap but not sure what ratings it comes with, can it handle 44 Din battery ?

But i would feel safe sticking to Bosch OEM model.
Old 25th August 2009, 17:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

what i bought was brand new. there was no usage marks on it, if you have to buy refurbished alternators then better replace the rectifier only for 2k.( why pay 5k for the same job done by them.
Are you sure they are refurbished ?

Last edited by gigy : 25th August 2009 at 17:58.
Old 26th August 2009, 11:24   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
what i bought was brand new. there was no usage marks on it, if you have to buy refurbished alternators then better replace the rectifier only for 2k.( why pay 5k for the same job done by them.
Are you sure they are refurbished ?
Ya brother I reconfirmed much to my disappointment they are refurbished specimen !!

Guys would it be wise to fit those refurbished ones ( the easiest option available) or go to Opera House guy and repair my OEM specimen. ( Am not sure if the battery would hold on from thane to Opera house .. dont want to be stranded in the middle) please suggest.
Old 26th August 2009, 11:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

pull out the battery and get it charged at a battery shop - fit it back and drive to opera house. can that be done? sticking to the OEM seems to be better idea IMO.
Old 26th August 2009, 11:56   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
pull out the battery and get it charged at a battery shop - fit it back and drive to opera house. can that be done? sticking to the OEM seems to be better idea IMO.
thanks buddy.. thats what is in my mind .. just wondering if the fully charged battery would hold up for 35kms ( My place to Opera House ).
And would it be ok to leave my car overnight if the repairs cannot be completed in a single day... May be can i take out ( with the help of a mechanic) the Alternator and take it to the opera house guy ?
Old 26th August 2009, 12:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
May be can i take out ( with the help of a mechanic) the Alternator and take it to the opera house guy ?
good idea - avoid keeping the car there overnight. keep us updated.
Old 26th August 2009, 12:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

safest option is to remove and take it.
If you want to take the car fix up an appointment leave early morning(0700-0730) before the traffic hits with a fully charged battery, don't use AC, fan, music. you should reach thane to opera in about 45min. finish your breakfast and start the job. it can be done in 4-6hrs. ask the mechanic if this is fine. he can check the wiring and connector just in case they were also the contributing factors.
Old 26th August 2009, 13:55   #39
BHPian

Personally I would just drive.
A fully charged battery will last to opera house if you dont blast the music and use your ac...Worst case do a push start!
Take an appointment in advance. that way you will get your car back the same day...

I had shown up without an appointment in the afternoon and had to leave my car overnight. He has secure parking. Had no issues (like radnam said...it is a comfort factor with the guy)

If you take an early appointment, you should not have to leave it overnight.
Also you can browse the auto stores to your hearts content and end up buying stuff you never thought u needed (jumper cables, tool boxes )

It is at the foot of kennedy bridge in opera house. PM me if you need directions.

Have breakfast in the lane outside the jewellery/diamond exchange
Have lunch at Anant Ashram in Khotachiwadi and then make your way back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
safest option is to remove and take it.
If you want to take the car fix up an appointment leave early morning(0700-0730) before the traffic hits with a fully charged battery, don't use AC, fan, music. you should reach thane to opera in about 45min. finish your breakfast and start the job. it can be done in 4-6hrs. ask the mechanic if this is fine. he can check the wiring and connector just in case they were also the contributing factors.
Old 26th August 2009, 14:22   #40
BHPian

@planet_rocket, genesis, giggy .. thanks a lot guys ..
I would take the car if it gets over in a single day.. as giggy said he can check all the associated wirings and all.. and i can have small-small electrical issues solved there only.
@genesis - If am in those car shop lanes ..its would be suicidal mission .. i would shop till i drop .. would end up homeless !( My wife would kill me)
Thanks for your advice on food .The call is not going through the number you gave me, if you have his cell number please pass on or else tomorrow at lunch i have to bunk office and go to opera house , meet that guy and take an appointment !
Am taking this as an project , am feeling exitedabout the alternator being repaired infrom of me ( I have downloaded loads of tech data on the same) !
Old 30th August 2009, 23:38   #41
BHPian

Got my car back on Friday. The faulty alternator was replaced with a refurbished alternator. Working fine till now. Cost Rs 5500/- ( faulty alternator had to be given back), Labour Rs850/-. The old alternator was a Bosch unit.
Old 31st August 2009, 12:56   #42
BHPian

Updates battery was recharged , and the car started fine.
The Tata Green service guy checked the alternator was giving 14.3 without load and 13.9 with full load.I have driven the car for about 25 Kms but the battery not charging light has not come up.

Now the Tata Green Service guy told me he feels the alternator is fine , and may be there is some short wiring which is leading to battery drain.

The rear right power window is not working anymore, when closely inspected the door sounded as if there was water inside.
When i tampered with the rubber drain cap on the door, I was SHOCKED about 2 liters of dirty water came out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Am surprised amy be due to rain water might have entered but about 2 liters ??
These all happened in front of the Tata Green guy , he said may be the power window switch has shorted and leading to current drain.
He adviced me to discooned the battery when i left the car over night and check for few day of the battery still drained.
Now today morning it strated crisp and clear .

I would continue with this experiment for 2 days .
Then take the car to Best Electric Guy ( Opera House for a complete electrical check up )

P.s : How can one check for any current leakage ??

Any clue what this could be ??
Old 31st August 2009, 16:17   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
P.s : How can one check for any current leakage ??
Get an ampere meter. Switch off all power consuming things. Close doors, etc. Disconnect the ground terminal and put the meter in the circuit. With modern cars a few mA is fine but if you see some amperes then there is trouble. Remove fuses one by one and see which circuit is the culprit.

As for running with no charging I have driven at night from Etawah to Gwalior (110km. 2 hours+) at night in my FIAT in 1980! So a charged battery is good for a lot of driving.
Old 31st August 2009, 16:24   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Get an ampere meter. Switch off all power consuming things. Close doors, etc. Disconnect the ground terminal and put the meter in the circuit. With modern cars a few mA is fine but if you see some amperes then there is trouble. Remove fuses one by one and see which circuit is the culprit.

As for running with no charging I have driven at night from Etawah to Gwalior (110km. 2 hours+) at night in my FIAT in 1980! So a charged battery is good for a lot of driving.
Sir , if you could elaborate " Put the meter in the circut " ?
I mean where exactly i should connect the ampere meter ? Disconnected battery terminal and the connected terminal ??

Would a small leakage lead to battery drain overnight ???
Old 31st August 2009, 18:02   #45
BHPian

You got to put the ammeter in SERIES with the negative terminal of the battery and the disconnected wire. That is
a)the black wire of the ammeter should connect to the negative terminal of the battery & b) the red wire of the ammeter should connect to the disconnected wire.
Please do this only when the car is OFF. Do not start the car in this condition or you will end up frying both the meter and its wires since the current passing through the meter wires will be in many tens of amperes. The meter and its wires at the most will be able to handle at the most 10 amperes.( meter wires as you will see will be much thinner than the wires connecting the battery).

If I am not mistaken Amit had repaired his alternator once. You can ask him or check the posts by Amit. Maybe you can talk to him to see if he has faced the same problem before. You are lucky that the alternator did nor blow a hole in your pocket. Ha Ha.

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st August 2009 at 18:11. Reason: Back to back posts. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks