Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2010, 11:14   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
My MASS topped up the brake fluid but did not replace it. Should this have been done? My car has done 56k kms.
Please have the brake fluid replaced every 18-24 months - I created a thread last June on this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...l?nojs=1#links
Old 7th February 2010, 11:22   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Please have the brake fluid replaced every 18-24 months - I created a thread last June on this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...l?nojs=1#links
Just went through your thread. Thanks for sharing. My car is now 25 months old so its time to change the brake fluid.
For some reason, most garages seem to neglect this. I've always been told that it is not really required.
Old 17th February 2010, 19:48   #33
jav
BHPian

After suffering long enough with steering vibrations and jerky stops i decided to replace my indica brake rotors

got original rotors 500rs each from jc road.

Let the pics do the talking

Shuddering/Vibrations while braking! Need help!-1-1.jpg

old brake rotor

Shuddering/Vibrations while braking! Need help!-1-2.jpg

removed caliper and caliper bracket

Shuddering/Vibrations while braking! Need help!-1-3.jpg

two screws which attach the rotor to hub

Shuddering/Vibrations while braking! Need help!-1-4.jpg

old rotor out, needed a few whacks with the hammer to free it since its rusted

Shuddering/Vibrations while braking! Need help!-1-5.jpg

old rotor next to new rotor, guess which is new

Shuddering/Vibrations while braking! Need help!-1-6.jpg

back view

Shuddering/Vibrations while braking! Need help!-1-7.jpg

marks on the old rotor

Shuddering/Vibrations while braking! Need help!-1-8.jpg

new rotor, no marks

Shuddering/Vibrations while braking! Need help!-1-9.jpg

brake pads after sanding to get it flat

Shuddering/Vibrations while braking! Need help!-1-10.jpg

new rotor fixed and caliper installed.

max time per side approx 15 mins, now after doing brake bedding the car stops smooth and in a straight line and no steering wobbling when braking at any speed

Disclaimer: this is advanced DIY and not to be attempted at home, do it at your own risk
Old 19th February 2010, 03:09   #34
BHPian

i got my santro serviced today, and when the mech, opened wheels for some lubrication, he saw the BOSCH Pads, (got it installed few months back) he said, don't use them, they'll put lot of linings on disc, and this would start giving shuddering if used for few more months.

I tried explaining him about BOSCH Pads, but he said, they are "more Hard, due extra Iron" so it eats up disc, don't know how much technically this would be digestible but i refused to changed the pads to Hyundai ones.

any opinions on this ?
Old 19th February 2010, 10:46   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
i got my santro serviced today, and when the mech, opened wheels for some lubrication, he saw the BOSCH Pads, (got it installed few months back) he said, don't use them, they'll put lot of linings on disc, and this would start giving shuddering if used for few more months.

I tried explaining him about BOSCH Pads, but he said, they are "more Hard, due extra Iron" so it eats up disc, don't know how much technically this would be digestible but i refused to changed the pads to Hyundai ones.

any opinions on this ?
Quite possible, as I'm experiencing this problem after using Bosch pads for just 2-3 months. But on physical examination, nothing wrong is visible with both the discs and pads, but shuddering is there.
Old 20th March 2010, 01:12   #36

Brake Shattering in Fiesta 1.6Sxi

Hi,
I bought a second hand fiesta about a year ago. Its a 1.6 SXi 32k kms done 2006 model petrol engine. At the time of purchase it was in excellent condition except the shattering of brakes at 50+ kmph.

I got in touch with Lathangi Ford and they replaced the discs and pads for about 7k (if I remember it correctly). But after driving for about 2k kms (mix city and highway), the brake shattering problem resurfaced. They cleaned the discs, but the problem wasn't resolved.

Finally they agreed to replace the discs under warranty at about 3000 kms since the last replacement and found uneven wear of discs. This solved the problem, but it resurfaced in another 4 months and about 3k kms. This time they replaced the discs and pads again for free.

Now after that in last 4 months I have hardly driven 800 kms and mostly in city and I see that problem is resurfacing as I get shattering while braking at 70-80 kmph.

To sumarize, this is my third set of discs and pads in last 1 year and under 10k kms.

BTW, they have checked the wheel balancing and alignment multiple times and its all good.

I think there is some other problem, may be in suspension or something that is causing the discs to wear unevenly and hence the shattering and vibration so frequently.

Can someone help me out with pointers on what could be causing this.
Old 20th March 2010, 08:46   #37
BHPian

You mean the brake chatter right? 'Cause if the brakes had shattered, you would be in the hospital!

Get the Ford A.S.S. to open the brake calipers (front & rear), & check the clearences of the caliper pistons & grease the necessary parts.

Also, are you riding on your brakes? As in inadvertantly keeping your foot on it when driving? That will lead to acclerated wear & as the disks thin down, brake chatter will recommence.
Old 20th March 2010, 09:18   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
You mean the brake chatter right? 'Cause if the brakes had shattered, you would be in the hospital!
I guess I misspelled that, but thats how the Ford A.S.S. pronounces it. Basically I get vibration and feedback in my steering when I apply brakes above a certain speed.

Quote:
Get the Ford A.S.S. to open the brake calipers (front & rear), & check the clearences of the caliper pistons & grease the necessary parts.
Last time around when they replaced the discs they apparently consulted someone in the head office and adjusted *some thing* around brakes, not sure if they did this. I will anyway check this with Ford.

Quote:
Also, are you riding on your brakes? As in inadvertantly keeping your foot on it when driving? That will lead to acclerated wear & as the disks thin down, brake chatter will recommence.
I dont think I drive on brakes. I have been driving for past 13 years, from M800 to Corolla, but this is the first time I am seeing such a thing happen. People pointed me that I brake a bit hard during city, but doest that mean that something that is designed to last typically 50k kms would wear off in 1-2k kms.
Old 10th January 2011, 19:41   #39
BHPian

Re: Shuddering/Vibrations while braking! Need help!

I replaced both front rotors and brake pads on my '01 Esteem around 6 months back and after doing 7K of trouble free driving, I gave the car for regular servicing last weekend,
Now (right after the service! ) the brake pedal started vibrating the moment you do a normal slow down (normally applying brakes) for a nearing speed breaker but it is not present while a sudden pressure is given on the pedal.

I took my car back to complain about this vibration to M.A.S.S and they say that its normal after a brake service which I totally disagree!

I want to know whether it is normal (as per the S.A) to have this irritating vibration on the brake pedal or is there something fishy here??
I seriously think that these guys would have exchanged the rotors for an old one as they know that I've changed it exactly 6 months back.

I am planning to take the car to a different service station next weekend to take a second opinion and also to check whether I've the same 6 months old/ 7K Kms ran rotors in it.

I've been driving since '95 and has covered more than 3L Kms. I try to avoid unnecessary braking by slowing down in advance. This is the first time I'm experiencing this and I totally believe this is abnormal!

Help needed from Gurus!
Old 10th January 2011, 20:06   #40
SRK
Senior - BHPian

May be your disc is rotating about an inclined axis.
But since you say you have been having no problems earlier this could be ruled out, then maybe the problem could be detected at the calipers. May be they got the pads out and while installing, didn't fit them properly.

If you go to another service center, ask them to check the calipers and if its correct ask them to check the rotor on a lathe, if it is revolving about an inclined axis they will be able to figure it out.
Old 14th May 2012, 21:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

Bumping up an old thread, as I am having the same kind of problems.

I serviced my Figo 2 weeks back. After getting the car back from service, I drove about 200km in city traffic. Then, I went on a long-ish drive on the highway. I was doing speeds of around 100kmph.

At higher speeds, when braking, I felt the brakes juddering. Problem never happened before on any of my previous highway drives. It started only now. And does not happen at city driving speeds (< 60kmph).

I had asked for the brake fluid to be changed as my car was 2 years old. The S.A. also told me about slight scoring of brake discs, which he said was very minor.

I found this document (courtesy www.powerbrake.co.za) - thought of sharing as it might be useful.

Question remains, however. Whats the solution?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tech_01_judder.pdf (166.3 KB, 464 views)

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 14th May 2012 at 21:14. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 25th May 2012, 08:12   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Quite possible, as I'm experiencing this problem after using Bosch pads for just 2-3 months. But on physical examination, nothing wrong is visible with both the discs and pads, but shuddering is there.
Sorry to bump an old thread.But Sethi sa'ab, just wanted to ask if the issue that you were facing was finally resolved. If yes, how?
Old 25th May 2012, 11:32   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek_ch View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread.But Sethi sa'ab, just wanted to ask if the issue that you were facing was finally resolved. If yes, how?
Yes Prateek it got resolved, but only after replacing the new pads .
I guess the Bosch brake pads had some typical material that caused all these issues, but never damaged the discs. And they lasted just 25K kms, cool 11K less than my stock brake pads! Now I'm back to OE brake pads fitted at Carnation, and no issues whatsoever so far.
asethi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 11:54   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Yes Prateek it got resolved, but only after replacing the new pads .
I guess the Bosch brake pads had some typical material that caused all these issues, but never damaged the discs. And they lasted just 25K kms, cool 11K less than my stock brake pads! Now I'm back to OE brake pads fitted at Carnation, and no issues whatsoever so far.

Thanks Sethi sa'ab. So the rotor discs do not need to be changed, right? Also, have you ever had the discs changed?
Old 25th May 2012, 12:29   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek_ch View Post
Thanks Sethi sa'ab. So the rotor discs do not need to be changed, right? Also, have you ever had the discs changed?
Never so far! And my car is already past 71K kms!!
asethi is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed