Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2010, 11:37   #1
BHPian

Shuddering/Vibrations while braking! Need help!

Mod Note : Please continue the discussion in Our Article on Car Vibration. Thanks

I faced a weird problem today morning while driving to office. The brakes suddenly started shuddering and I could feel the vibrations in the pedal, and they were quite strong to shake my leg. The brakes are functioning properly, with no loss in braking power, but just before the car comes to halt or is slowed down before crossing the hump, this shuddering/vibration starts. I don't doubt brake pads fading out, as they were changed just 4K kms back.
Any idea what it could be? Btw, the car is Swift diesel.

Last edited by GTO : 21st February 2013 at 10:16. Reason: Adding link to article
Old 19th January 2010, 11:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Same thing happened to me in my Civic. And the service adviser told me with full confidence that discs need to be changed and the problem will be solved. He did not even need a test drive.

Did that and the problem solved.
Old 19th January 2010, 11:53   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Same thing happened to me in my Civic. And the service adviser told me with full confidence that discs need to be changed and the problem will be solved. He did not even need a test drive.

Did that and the problem solved.
+1 to that! I don't know why. Can anyone tell us why? The *** showed us the discs and said that it had too many lines/scratches. But I still didn't understand why that causes shudders.
Old 19th January 2010, 11:57   #4
BHPian

But I just got my car serviced 3000kms back, and brakes were serviced/checked and no such problem reported! Don't know how this happened so quickly?!
Old 19th January 2010, 12:07   #5
BHPian

1. It could be that ABS kicked in when u applied the brake and the road was slippery.
2. Wheel balancing and alignment issue.
3. worn out brake pads/disk.

-MUKE
Old 19th January 2010, 12:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muke31 View Post
1. It could be that ABS kicked in when u applied the brake and the road was slippery.
2. Wheel balancing and alignment issue.
3. worn out brake pads/disk.

-MUKE
1. My car is without ABS. And this is happening consistently when the car slows down.
2. Balancing/alignment done last week.
3. Brake pads changed just 4000kms back, and discs had no problem by then. Will have to get them checked now.
Old 19th January 2010, 12:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi asethi,

Firstly, how old is your car and how many kilometers have you clocked on the odo? Did you by any chance have an emergency braking situation recently? This shuddering/vibrations usually happen when the brake discs are wraped. This is usually caused when we apply fully brakes in an emergency situation where the car comes to a screeching hault. It is in our human nature to keep the brake pedal pressed even after the car has come to a halt and due to the amount of heat caused between the brake discs & brake pads, there is an impression left on the discs which result in them being wraped. The brake pads were anyway worn out and due for a change. Had this done at 45k kilometers.

It happened to me in my Swift which led to me having the brake discs & pads changed. The problem is solved
Old 19th January 2010, 12:12   #8
BHPian

I had the same problem. Discs were warped (uneven wear of discs hence making pads to vibrate/shudder).. Disc replacement is the best solution. Some may suggest grinding of discs, but not recommended..
Old 19th January 2010, 12:14   #9
BHPian

Disc needs to be replaced.
Old 19th January 2010, 12:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi asethi,

Firstly, how old is your car and how many kilometers have you clocked on the odo? Did you by any chance have an emergency braking situation recently? This shuddering/vibrations usually happen when the brake discs are wraped. This is usually caused when we apply fully brakes in an emergency situation where the car comes to a screeching hault. It is in our human nature to keep the brake pedal pressed even after the car has come to a halt and due to the amount of heat caused between the brake discs & brake pads, there is an impression left on the discs which result in them being wraped. The brake pads were anyway worn out and due for a change. Had this done at 45k kilometers.

It happened to me in my Swift which led to me having the brake discs & pads changed. The problem is solved
My car is 2+ years old, and done 42K kms. The brake pads were changed at 38K kms. I had quite a number of emergency braking situations during my recent highway trip, but never felt any such thing then, and the braking was perfect.
Btw what's the cost of brake disks for Swift?
Old 19th January 2010, 16:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
My car is 2+ years old, and done 42K kms. The brake pads were changed at 38K kms. I had quite a number of emergency braking situations during my recent highway trip, but never felt any such thing then, and the braking was perfect.
Btw what's the cost of brake disks for Swift?
Well that is alot of driving in 2 years. Eventhough you have had your brake pads changed, the warped discs could have made them uneven (just my guess). If I am not mistaken, a single brake disc for the Swift costs around 700-1000 bucks. Have your discs changed and your brake pads checked again at the time of repair.
Old 19th January 2010, 18:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to add my query to the existing thread. 3 years and 29.5k kms old Xing is giving me braking problems. Whenever I start braking from speeds >45km/h the car de-accelerates while giving minor jerks. Can anyone please tell me what's the exact issue and if it's the same as asethi's.
Old 19th January 2010, 21:11   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

turning/machining the discs could also help to restore the original smooth finish
Old 19th January 2010, 21:32   #14
Team-BHP Support

Are you sure its the brakes and not the clutch giving away? To rule this out, depress the clutch and pedal and check the brake for judder. If it ain't then its clutch.

Anyways get it checked since you shouldn't risk it with brakes!
Old 19th January 2010, 22:09   #15
BHPian

Just to add my 2 cents: one of the reasons for brake disc warpage is uneven tightening torque on each of the lugs of the wheel. Ideally, they should be tightened using a torque wrench.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks