Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2010, 12:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

@tanwaramit - If you've access to this message, check if they want to replace the self motor as such or only the armature, bearing & any other worn out part. Though it would be economical to replace the worn out parts, its adviced to replace the entire unit as such.

I have few question though - how come you were able to start the car without any issues when you start in the morning for the first time? Why does it stop in between? What has the stopping got to do with the self motor?
Old 28th March 2010, 12:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@tanwaramit - If you've access to this message, check if they want to replace the self motor as such or only the armature, bearing & any other worn out part. Though it would be economical to replace the worn out parts, its adviced to replace the entire unit as such.

I have few question though - how come you were able to start the car without any issues when you start in the morning for the first time? Why does it stop in between? What has the stopping got to do with the self motor?
they are doing the total overhaul, let me see what all is changed, havent checked, am back at home for lunch.

Even I donot know the dynamics here as to how the car starts n number of times but sometimes it just doesnt cares to start, and if new battery is connected the problem is solved for around 1 year. I am going by the advise of fellow BHPians and the technical advisor at Hyundai Authorised service center. Glad that the problem occurred in front of them too so they found the issue.

Am getting very good support from fellow BHPians with good knowledge and inputs. I am glad that I am on TBHP.
Old 28th March 2010, 13:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

^^^Pal, just ask these questions to H.A.S.S guys & post us their response; it will help us enhance our knowledge too - Thanks in advance for sharing.
Old 29th March 2010, 10:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Got the car back from Service center, I guess approx cost around 2k for this (not sure of this as got other work done too like change of brake pads and bearings change).

Checked with them, they cleaned the SELF, changed armature etc, lot of carbon was deposited in the SELF. They claim that the problem wont recur, I am yet to find it again. Lets hope its gone forever.

aargee, to answer your questions.

The car never used to stop on the road due to this, its only if the car stalled OR I restarted it when it was HOT, it refused to start. The starter motor didnt come into play, the engine didnt even crank, not even the start of cranking, 5-6 tries or sometimes 10-11 tries and it used to take to get it started. Before this battery change it took me several tries but the car didnt start, so I parked it waited for 30 mins then it started at one crank.

The explanation given by them was that since the battery was not new and also due to heat the carbon wasnt giving the freedom for SELF to come into play, now that its all cleaned up, it should work fine.

Remember cold start never had an issue as the car used to start in one crank, and there was no stalling due to this issue, however restarting the car when the engine was HOT, the SELF didnt come into the job. One car hear the sounds to make it out.

I am really thankful to all the BHPians who gave their valuable inputs, shared their experiences and asked questions, so that I can ask the ASC for the same, the responses have poured on Saturday, Sunday, with very late night responses too. Thanks Guys.

Am keeping my fingers crossed so that it doesnt happen again.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 29th March 2010 at 10:48.
Old 29th March 2010, 10:52   #20
BHPian

Nice to know that you got it sorted out.I experienced the same issue with my Indica but in my case it was with a brand new car. After a decent run say about 50+ km the car would not start.
I took it to the service center 2 to 3 times and finally they diagnosed the issue saying it was a fuel flow problem. Managed to get it done under warranty.
Hot start problem is very rare is what i got to know from the service guys.
Old 29th March 2010, 10:53   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Got the car back from Service center, I guess approx cost around 2k for this (not sure of this as got other work done too like change of brake pads and bearings change).

Checked with them, they cleaned the SELF, changed armature etc, lot of carbon was deposited in the SELF. They claim that the problem wont recur, I am yet to find it again. Lets hope its gone forever.

aargee, to answer your questions.

The car never used to stop on the road due to this, its only if the car stalled OR I restarted it when it was HOT, it refused to start. The starter motor didnt come into play, the engine didnt even crank, not even the start of cranking, 5-6 tries or sometimes 10-11 tries and it used to take to get it started. Before this battery change it took me several tries but the car didnt start, so I parked it waited for 30 mins then it started at one crank.

The explanation given by them was that since the battery was not new and also due to heat the carbon wasnt giving the freedom for SELF to come into play, now that its all cleaned up, it should work fine.

Remember cold start never had an issue as the car used to start in one crank, and there was no stalling due to this issue, however restarting the car when the engine was HOT, the SELF didnt come into the job. One car hear the sounds to make it out.

I am really thankful to all the BHPians who gave their valuable inputs, shared their experiences and asked questions, so that I can ask the ASC for the same, the responses have poured on Saturday, Sunday, with very late night responses too. Thanks Guys.

Am keeping my fingers crossed so that it doesnt happen again.
I had a similar problem with my Maruthi 800 and had to replace the complete starter motor. Cost wise it was slightly more than the cost of replacing the armature and refurbishing the motor. Gives you peace of mind. No problem since then.
In your case if the armature is ok, then there should not be any trouble.

Last edited by sudharma : 29th March 2010 at 10:54. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 29th March 2010, 11:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Fuel Pump OR Fuel Tank!

Hi,

I had the exact same problem in my Maruti 800. The car used to start up fine but used to stall after driving it for a couple of kilometers. I was stumped as we could just not trace the problem even after changing the distributor, spark plugs and even fuel pump but the problem still persisted.

We finally found out that the problem was with the fuel tank. Apparently a stone had hit the fuel tank from underneath which had caused a small dent which was almost blocking the pipe that sucks the fuel from the tank. Now the car would start but when the tank got hot, it would expand and totally block the pipe leading to cutting off fuel supply.

We had the tank opened and the dent fixed. never had that problem again :-)
Old 29th March 2010, 14:46   #23
BHPian

If you encounter this problem and want to start your car ASAP then just pour some water on your car battery. It will make your car battery cool and car will start as normal.

After that whenever you are at home do the following:-

1. Check your battery terminals. If they are looking black then you need to clean both termials so they will look silver. Search internet to know how to clean battery terminals.

2. Check battery water level. You can get battery water bottle for just Rs. 20/- Buy one and fill your battery as needed.

I am NOT an expert; but I guarantee that 95% times this problem will get solved with the above 2 steps.

Wanna bet?
Old 29th March 2010, 15:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEraser View Post
If you encounter this problem and want to start your car ASAP then just pour some water on your car battery. It will make your car battery cool and car will start as normal.

After that whenever you are at home do the following:-

1. Check your battery terminals. If they are looking black then you need to clean both termials so they will look silver. Search internet to know how to clean battery terminals.

2. Check battery water level. You can get battery water bottle for just Rs. 20/- Buy one and fill your battery as needed.

I am NOT an expert; but I guarantee that 95% times this problem will get solved with the above 2 steps.

Wanna bet?
How about if the battery is fine and the problem is something else ? So if the problem is this, its more to cool with engine rather than cooling battery. Why make the poor battery wet when it cant do anything more than it is doing !
Old 29th March 2010, 21:23   #25
BHPian

>>Why make the poor battery wet ...
It's just a temporary solution to start the car in emergency condition as most of time this problem happens because of hot battery.

>>How about if the battery is fine
I never said that battery is bad. If it's bad then you need to change it. I am just saying that 95% time battery need some maintenance; hence I suggested 2 steps.

>>and the problem is something else ?
AFAIK, most of time this problem happens because of hot battery. So check it and do some maintenance first before going to service center. It's simple thing that you can do it yourself. Why spend money if there is no need and you can fix the problem easily at home?

And if problem is still there, then you can visit service center anythime.
Old 30th March 2010, 14:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

DarkEraser: Thanks for sharing your inputs. Can be tried if nothing else is working.
Old 30th March 2010, 17:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
DarkEraser: Thanks for sharing your inputs. Can be tried if nothing else is working.
Check your fuel tank buddy. I don't think you bothered to read my post.
Old 30th March 2010, 17:43   #28
Team-BHP Support

I just saw the post and if the engine/starter was not cranking then its a starter issue. Service should have set it right.
Old 30th March 2010, 18:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

First and foremost, dont waste more on another battery. It is definiely something else and you are ruining new batteries. It could crop into something more serious later
Old 31st March 2010, 09:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I just saw the post and if the engine/starter was not cranking then its a starter issue. Service should have set it right.
Hi Jaggu, Yes, the SELF has been serviced and the problem is not seen since, though it seems like sometimes that the issue is there as the engine takes a little longer to start. However till now, its not worrisome. Hope the problem is resolved forever.

thedreamcatcher: Yup, now was the turn of fourth battery, when I realized that the issue is something else and got it checked accordingly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks