Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2010, 20:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Santro doesnt start when HOT

Hi Guys,

Help me identify the problem.

I have a 2004 model Santro Xing. Done 53k Kms till now.

A strange problem with the car which till now I thought as a battery issue.

After running the car for around 20 kms, if I switch it off OR the car gets stalled then it doesnt start easily takes a few cranking to start, seeing this problem now since yesterday.

I remember having the same problem 1.2 yr back, that time the problem aggravated that the car refused to start at all. So I changed the battery. Now I had done the same thing once before too (changed battery)

Today, I went to the battery person and asked for a batter change, he checked and said, battery working fine, check with the car, when HOT it doesnt crank.

I have been searching for similar threads on TBHP, found quite a few, however those are related to fan issues OR the car stalling on the road. In my case, the car doesnt stall and it need not stall, even if I park the car and then restart, it doesnt start.

Now I dont know where to go for the issue either I can get the battery changed which I have been doing till now (03rd battery in 5 yrs) almost one battery change every 15k kms OR to get the problem checked at Hyundai ASC.

Fellow BHPians who have encountered similar problems, please help.

I am going tomorrow morning to ASC to know what they have to say on this.

All the batteries used till now have been EXIDE
Old 27th March 2010, 20:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

seems like a fuel system problem, does this happen only during hot shut offs?

Spike
Old 27th March 2010, 20:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
seems like a fuel system problem, does this happen only during hot shut offs?

Spike
yeah, old battery (more than 1 yr) and hot shut offs ONLY. I am going out to check the fan and Heating now, will update in next 30 mins.
Old 27th March 2010, 20:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Hi Guys,

After running the car for around 20 kms, if I switch it off OR the car gets stalled then it doesnt start easily takes a few cranking to start, seeing this problem now since yesterday.
I had similar issues with my car which was traced to a faulty ignition coil.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1309481

-- Wind
Old 27th March 2010, 21:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
I had similar issues with my car which was traced to a faulty ignition coil.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1309481

-- Wind
Wind, went through your thread, was the fault traced to ignition coil in your case ? As per the other thread, I could see that the change of ignition oil didnt help, also what was done in throttle cleaning ? Throttle cleaning did the trick for you ?

Just returned after a short spin, no overheating in the car. However restart still has issue. Also to add, coolant level, Engine oil etc everything is fine and the fan works too, the car doesnt get overheated. Its just that it doesnt start, had changed battery twice and the problem was gone. AC works like a charm with no effect on car (neither stalling NOR overheating), however restarting the car is an issue. No vibration, shuddering in the car with or without AC. Silky smooth unless you restart.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 27th March 2010 at 21:55.
Old 27th March 2010, 22:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Wind, went through your thread, was the fault traced to ignition coil in your case ? As per the other thread, I could see that the change of ignition oil didnt help, also what was done in throttle cleaning ? Throttle cleaning did the trick for you ?
I should have clarified in the same thread. These were two different issues. The restarting issue was fixed by ignition coil replacement and the stalling problem was fixed by Throttle cleaning.
Since the two issues occurred within a space of two months, I was suspecting that they were related, which was not the case.

-- Wind
Old 27th March 2010, 22:20   #7
lsp
BHPian

Amit
3 batteries in 5 years is alarming. I suspect it has nothing to do with battery as comfirmed by your battery guy. Whats your daily routine of using the car. how much do u travel and in what kind of conditions? eg 40 kms everyday in bumper to bumper traffic/ 30 kms on highway.

Ask the mechanic to check if the fuel pump is able to supply petrol. Santro has a weak fuel pump and in my car it used to stall after a continuous run of about 60-80 kms. A simple battery change in the fuel pump solved the problem.
Old 27th March 2010, 22:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
I should have clarified in the same thread. These were two different issues. The restarting issue was fixed by ignition coil replacement and the stalling problem was fixed by Throttle cleaning.
Since the two issues occurred within a space of two months, I was suspecting that they were related, which was not the case.

-- Wind
Ok, thanks for clarification, so Ignition coil is something to watch out for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
Amit
3 batteries in 5 years is alarming. I suspect it has nothing to do with battery as comfirmed by your battery guy. Whats your daily routine of using the car. how much do u travel and in what kind of conditions? eg 40 kms everyday in bumper to bumper traffic/ 30 kms on highway.

Ask the mechanic to check if the fuel pump is able to supply petrol. Santro has a weak fuel pump and in my car it used to stall after a continuous run of about 60-80 kms. A simple battery change in the fuel pump solved the problem.
Yeah, now with 4th battery coming into the picture, its got me worried. Hence want to investigate, else 3.5 k pay and problem solved (for the time being)

My daily running for past 6 months is 100 kms (office distance around 50 kms, almost 35 in heavy traffic rest 15 km on Expressway)

I had a problem in the fuel pump when I had purchased the car, it was changed FREE of cost by the company under warranty. Under that the car used to stall after a few kms. Before it got changed, it took me 2 hrs to travel 6 kms (service center at 10pm in the night).

If its weak fuel pump then why does change in battery helps I wonder, asked the battery service guy too, he said new batteries help push the start, once old the car system needs to get it pushed to start, which it is not doing.
Old 27th March 2010, 23:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Help me identify the problem.

I have a 2004 model Santro Xing. Done 53k Kms till now.

A strange problem with the car which till now I thought as a battery issue.

I remember having the same problem 1.2 yr back, that time the problem aggravated that the car refused to start at all. So I changed the battery. Now I had done the same thing once before too (changed battery)

Today, I went to the battery person and asked for a batter change, he checked and said, battery working fine, check with the car, when HOT it doesnt crank.

I have been searching for similar threads on TBHP, found quite a few, however those are related to fan issues OR the car stalling on the road. In my case, the car doesnt stall and it need not stall, even if I park the car and then restart, it doesnt start.

Now I dont know where to go for the issue either I can get the battery changed which I have been doing till now (03rd battery in 5 yrs) almost one battery change every 15k kms OR to get the problem checked at Hyundai ASC.

Fellow BHPians who have encountered similar problems, please help.

I am going tomorrow morning to ASC to know what they have to say on this.

All the batteries used till now have been EXIDE
I too had a similar issue with my INDICA. The problem was the SELF, got it serviced and again it is working fine now.
Old 27th March 2010, 23:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I too had a similar issue with my INDICA. The problem was the SELF, got it serviced and again it is working fine now.
couldn't understand, what is SELF ? How to service it ?
Old 28th March 2010, 01:18   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
couldn't understand, what is SELF ? How to service it ?
He is referring to the Starter motor.

What happens when you try to start the car? Does it feel like the starter is not engaging? If Yes, the Starter motor's overhaul will do the job.
Old 28th March 2010, 03:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Most probably a weak fuel pump. Get it checked.
Old 28th March 2010, 07:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

IMO, 3 batteries in 5 years is something really to suspect
1. Check if the batteries are getting charge adequately, so the culprit may be alternator
2. Secondly, check the self start motor; probably the bearing are slightly worn; I had the same issue several weeks back & had to replace the armature & the bearing needles & now I feel the torque of self motor when starting
3. When were the spark plugs changed last? If they were changed several 1000 Kms back, pls consider changing them OR if you've a friendly H.A.S.S, replace the spark plugs from a good Santro that has good spark plugs & give a test run on your car; while testing this, check for any faulty plug caps also
4. Check the fuel hose supply & the injectors for any blockage so that when the unit becomes hot the fuel supply is blocked
5. Hope airfilter & the supply does not block the airmixture, but get it checked too; if possible eliminate any possible chances with intake manifold also
6. Last but not the least, check the is induction coil & distributor. Click here to know more
Old 28th March 2010, 08:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the reply guys. The car is well maintained with AS Centers only. Spark plugs, air filter etc were changed a few kms back during normal servicing. I suspect the issue to be of self starter motor OR ignition coil OR fuel pump. The battery is getting charged properly. If there was a problem with the battery then the car shouldn't start in the morning, as said by battery guy.

Am going to ASC in next 15 mins. Hope, they are able to sort the problem in one go. Will update on the outcome.

Anshuman, will take a video of the issue. Hope this will help analyze the causes.
Old 28th March 2010, 10:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Am at the service center, got a test drive done. According to them, The problem is attributed to SELF, they even tried with another battery, the guys are working on it. Let us hope it solves the problem. By the time I took out the camera for recording, the car started. Missed a chance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks