Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2011, 05:42   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car does not start after a long drive

If its a long drive in day time then the chances of battery draining and not cranking are low, else long drives at night time drain the battery more if the charging is insufficient. So could be a problem with Battery or the alternator get it checked, it may be a simple case of filling some distilled water and things might get fine post that so might not need battery replacement.
Old 28th September 2011, 06:13   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju.bala View Post
I have a swift VXI petrol which has done 56,000 KMs still running on orginal Amaron Battery after 4 years and 6 months. Recently have noticed that after driving for some time and then stopping and starting for eg to fill fuel the car shows difficulty in cranking .This is especially more prominent if the car is slightly on an incline. Could it be that the battery needs replacement. Thanks in advance for you suggestions
Your battery does seem to be quite old. As far as I know, the longest warranty on an Amaron is with the Amaron Flo of 4 years so your battery is living past its average life expectancy. I run on an Exide and it lasts for about a year and a half, though the warranty is for 2 years.
Old 28th September 2011, 06:55   #63

The cranking is weak when we try to restart
Old 28th September 2011, 11:31   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju.bala View Post
Could it be that the battery needs replacement. Thanks in advance for you suggestions
Just so to clarify, please don't assume that the battery is old and needs replacement. I might or it might not, could be either way. My Balenos battery is seven years old and still going strong, i did get it checked and was told there is nothing to worry and it will continue for sometime (Few years more). Battery life to a large extent depends on the way the car is driven or used (Not really sure what impacts but if one regularly uses the car the battery lasts longer as per the SA).
Old 28th September 2011, 11:54   #65
BANNED

What can be happening is that when the engine is hot the compression goes up, so the load also increases. Age tell me it is most probably the battery. Still checking out the starter may not be a bad exercise.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 11:58   #66
BHPian

Best to take all advice and do a through checkout.
1. Check all aspects of your battery completely.
2. Alternator & charging circuit.
3. Your starter motor and the main cables.

Should by then be able to locate the true problem.
Old 28th September 2011, 13:29   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
What can be happening is that when the engine is hot the compression goes up, so the load also increases. Age tell me it is most probably the battery. Still checking out the starter may not be a bad exercise.
sgiitk is right!. The best DIY diagnosis would be to keep a spare battery, and try if cranking is OK.

Again, I strongly suspect the battery.
Old 28th September 2011, 13:44   #68
Senior - BHPian

Considering its a weak battery/ alternator not charging the battery, isnt the battery indicator on the dash suppose to glow??

I am asking this because I was in a similar situation a few weeks back. I did Jaipur To Delhi and parked the car for like 15 mnts. After 15 mnts the car refused to start and we found that the battery was almost dry.

Maybe I am wrong, and its not suppose to glow on weak batteries, but then what is the battery indicator on the dash for??

regards
Old 28th September 2011, 15:50   #69
Senior - BHPian

Re: Santro doesnt start when HOT

Was talking to an expert now ,he was mentioning this looks like an ignition coil problem
Old 28th September 2011, 16:56   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Maybe I am wrong, and its not suppose to glow on weak batteries, but then what is the battery indicator on the dash for??
All the dashboard indicators, except the high beam, overheating, and indicator lights, come on every time you start the vehicle. I have never had the battery indicator turn on for a low battery, and there's a tiny light near the temperature gauge to indicate overheating on my Esteem rather than the engine check light which I've never seen turned on (which is a good thing).
Old 29th September 2011, 13:15   #71
BHPian

The battery indicator should come on when there is a problem in the charging circuit. It would not come on in case of inadequate charging or a weak battery.

Update : my problem recurred hardly a few days back but was milder this time. OT : plan to move to a cooler city so that the problem gets sorted out.
Old 29th September 2011, 14:54   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Considering its a weak battery/ alternator not charging the battery, isnt the battery indicator on the dash suppose to glow??
In the case of loss of capacity, the battery will get charged 'to its limited capacity' so the light will not come on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Was talking to an expert now ,he was mentioning this looks like an ignition coil problem
A Santro has a distributorless ignition, so you do not have a coil in the classical sense. There should be two of what are essentially step up pulse transformers.
Old 29th September 2011, 15:49   #73
BHPian

I faced a similar problem with my Indica 2000 Lei. After almost trying every possible problems, the problem was located with a faulty Fuel pump which erratically behaved. The only co-relation I could draw was the car refused to start when driven for 20/30 kms or 160/170kms on highway.. Hour of driving had no relationship with the heating issue.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:59   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
In the case of loss of capacity, the battery will get charged 'to its limited capacity' so the light will not come on.
So if I understand you correctly, The battery light in the dash will only come on and stay on if the alternator is faulty. Not when the battery is being under-charged i.e being charged to its limited capacity?

regards
Old 5th October 2011, 21:39   #75
BANNED

The non-starting after running few km's is sign of self motor problem, I had the same problem in my Maruti 1000 before, after driving about 20-30 kms in highway, i had stopped at an railway gate, but when i again tried to start, the engine does not crank, but starte motor will spin slowly as if battery is weak. once engine gets cooler it will start. Check the starter carbon brush and armature, service self motor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks