Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 22:36   #1
BHPian

Advantages of filling up from a Reliance Pump?

I have heard from lot of people who swear by Reliance pumps as the fuel provides more mileage albeit at a slightly higher price. What could be the reason for this? Better quality fuel or normal fuel + additives sold at a higher price?

My last 2 refills were from Reliance and i honestly didn't find any improvement in mileage? I am planning to stop filling from there if the fuel is normal fuel + additives , as additives are not good for engines (FIAT has recommended against adding any additives in Fuel)

@ Mods- Didn't find another thread for this. please merge if there's another thread for this topic.
Old 16th June 2010, 22:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
My last 2 refills were from Reliance and i honestly didn't find any improvement in mileage?
Were you using Shell before ?
Honestly, Apart from the mileage, the engine also becomes smooth and rev happy, else it pants for breath at higher speeds. I have particularly observed this on highway runs. There is huge difference between IOC HP BP etc and Shell and Reliance Petrol. Hey have these bunks re-opened for petrol also ?
Old 16th June 2010, 22:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Were you using Shell before ?
Honestly, Apart from the mileage, the engine also becomes smooth and rev happy, else it pants for breath at higher speeds. I have particularly observed this on highway runs. There is huge difference between IOC HP BP etc and Shell and Reliance Petrol. Hey have these bunks re-opened for petrol also ?
he he . nice question. i usually fills up from COCO (company owned and operated) pumps. And mine is a diesel. But what i specifically need to know is the reason for this improvement. is it better quality of fuel or the additives that is doing the trick

Reliance pumps are all operating now (from what all i have seen)
Old 16th June 2010, 22:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey have these bunks re-opened for petrol also ?
Yes they are, saw numerous bunks when I did Bangalore-Shirdi a week agok. Reliance outnumbers Shell outlet.
Old 16th June 2010, 23:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Yes they are, saw numerous bunks when I did Bangalore-Shirdi a week agok. Reliance outnumbers Shell outlet.
Oh good thanks! And what about the A1 Plazas? Are they functional too. Like it helps me. But, wifey is travelling in one or 2 days so the info might be helpful to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
But what i specifically need to know is the reason for this improvement. is it better quality of fuel or the additives that is doing the trick
Yes, the primary reason is the fuel quality. Sometimes the quality is as per industry standards and laws for fuel quality and additives but something goes wrong once it reaches the petrol pump. Mixing, re mixing, kerosene, what not gets added. There was a member on this forum who fell prey to bad fuel in a sort of ghat section going uphill. His Indigo could not complete it except when in the 1st gear. So yes, quality depends on from where you fill and how much malpractice the owner does.

Apart from this, I have also found a good difference between COCO pump fuel quality (IOC HP BP etc.) My car gasps for breath at higher speeds and on other premium brands (read higher priced ones) it has to be the wife who tells me to watch the ODO as I don't feel the high speeds nor do I hear anything from the bay.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 16th June 2010 at 23:07.
Old 16th June 2010, 23:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And what about the A1 Plazas?

Pardon my ignorance, what is A1 plaza?
Old 16th June 2010, 23:24   #7
BHPian

Quote:
It's reliance petrol pumps called reliance A1 plaza.
Old 16th June 2010, 23:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the highways there is a A1 plaza every 100 kms. It is bascially an eatery/restaurant run by Reliance. So where there is a Reliance bunk on the highway where will also be a A1 Plaza symbol (A huge A1 sign). That tells you that there is a plaza with this bunk.
Old 16th June 2010, 23:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the highways there is a A1 plaza every 100 kms. It is bascialy an eatery/restaurant run by Reliance. So where there is a Reliance bunk on the highway where will also be a A1 Plaza symbol (A huge A1 sign). That tells you that there is a plaza with this bunk.
I am sorry, I might have over looked this. I only looked at those huge boards.

But hey, all my eating were at local restaurants and food was awesome. Do try them out. No stomach upset, nothing. Touch wood
Old 16th June 2010, 23:36   #10
BHPian

Not sure what is the actual reason but I always found Reliance Petrol to be too good in comparision of any Govt. Petrol pump (IOC/HP/BP). It not only gives good mileage but you feel engine run smooth.
Old 16th June 2010, 23:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

^^Hey no problems man! I'll see if I can get hold of Parag.
Old 17th June 2010, 02:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

More milage from Reliance petrol!! What, did the Sun rise from the West?

I and quite a few of my friends used to fill from the RPL pump at DAKC when it opened up. Needless to say after sometime we all went back to our previous filling points. Reason? not just dropped milage but simply bad quality fuel. Anyhow, I will check up regarding the improved quality with a friend who owns a Reliance fuel bunk, last heard he had restarted selling some time back but only Diesel.

The best fuel is to be found at Essar pumps, excellent quality (they used to be priced cheaper by 25 paise compared to the competition). Infact so good is their fuel quality that one can make out the difference in the way the engine responds to minimal right foot inputs from the first tank full itself.

Unfortunately, they closed their outlet in Navi Mumbai when the crude prices went through the roof a couple of years ago. Even now whenever I am around Bharuch or on the Chakan to Sanaswadi link road I make it a point to fill up.

Last edited by khoj : 17th June 2010 at 02:39.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:00   #13
BHPian

don't know why but in my road trip from Allahabad to Delhi, December -2009, i found many reliance pumps were Closed, and the fuel dispenser were all packed with Brown Cloth, the entrance was blocked.

Don't they operate in Uttar Pradesh anymore ?
Old 17th June 2010, 14:08   #14
BANNED

@ghpk: What you say is correct - unfortunately, It is the stupid policy for 'supposedly' supporting oil PSUs.

I also found that Reliance petrol both improved the consumption and the engine was far sweeter. Cannot get more of it at the moment!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2010, 14:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Don't know about mileage, but a popular CV firm uses Reliance Diesel for it's engine to clear emission tests, in case the emission test failed whilst using normal fuel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks