Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2011, 14:40   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Static Electricity Discharge / Shock when touching car's front door

We must have seen trucks as well as buses with line of small sized link chains in place of mud flaps , now these are for getting rid of static charges, Iwas told about it by my friend who has number of trucks.
Old 20th February 2011, 19:48   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchitBadola View Post
off topic (but fun)
1. Sit in a plastic chair wearing shoes and woolen sweater.(and hold hand in air,don`t touch anything)

2. Ask someone else to hit the chair with towel around 20 times.

3. Then touch someone and poof!! Static shock with a proper spark more prominent in dark though.

Experiment with different shoes and coin in mouth(between lips)
You seem to be giving torture idea's eh? I hope one doesn't try this with someone who they like least!
Old 20th February 2011, 20:45   #138
BHPian

If your car has synthetic seat covers chances of static discharge are more. Its frequency increases during dry season because dry air does not permit gradual discharge of static from the body. A very good solution to this problem is to hold a metallic part of the car while getting out of it. This will ensure that rapid build up of static due to movement while getting out is released gradually through the hand and you don't get a shock later if you touch it after getting out.
Old 9th March 2011, 09:26   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suraj_pp View Post
This happens to be very often in my skoda when I get off the car and try closing the door. The best solution i came up with is to get out of the car and kick the door close ...
I really enjoyed this one! Feel bad for your car though!
Old 12th December 2012, 22:53   #140
BHPian

Static shocks everytime in my car

Friends i really need help on this , Everytime i get out of my Honda city and touch the door handle or sny other metal part of the car, I end up getting a real bad jolt of electricity its quite bad and at times ive seen a spark from my fingers onto the handle, needless to say its not a very pleasant way to end a drive , any tips on how i can be spared this electrifying experience? :-)
Old 12th December 2012, 23:50   #141
BHPian

My take, try wearing different pair of shoes. Some footwears are more prone to static generation.

It also depends on floor - footwear combo.

Last edited by LP640 : 12th December 2012 at 23:53. Reason: Already merged
Old 13th December 2012, 00:06   #142
BHPian

Re: Static shocks everytime in my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyvictor View Post
Friends i really need help on this , Everytime i get out of my Honda city and touch the door handle or sny other metal part of the car, I end up getting a real bad jolt of electricity its quite bad and at times ive seen a spark from my fingers onto the handle, needless to say its not a very pleasant way to end a drive , any tips on how i can be spared this electrifying experience? :-)
Avoid use of things which produces static electricity, like synthetic cloth, seat covers as some one mentioned etc. Or try to touch any metallic part of the car in between your drive. Speaking of which I have seen computer installers/assemblers using some earthing straps attached to their hands to avoid static electricity which will protect the processor and stuffs.
Old 13th December 2012, 00:43   #143
BHPian

guys this happened with me a couple of times.
2 days back while walking on the treadmill I was listening to music on my earphones and I was wearing a jersey. when I touched the heart beat monitor( the silver thing) on the treadmill I got a shock! I thought it might be due to the jersey which I was wearing.

yesterday I wore a cotton t shirt and using the same earphones and again I got a shock!
is it because of the earphones? they are Samsung ones.
this never happened with my Philips or skullcandy.
Old 13th December 2012, 01:12   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Friends i really need help on this , Everytime i get out of my Honda city and touch the door handle ...
You reach out with your fingers, right? It's the natural thing to do when you are going to get hold of something. Don't.

Instead, first touch the door with the palm of your hand. The electricity will still flow, but you won't feel it because of the greater surface contact.

I had this problem every time with my last London car, and eventually hit on the solution. And sometimes I even remembered to do it! Because it does work.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 09:27   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends i really need help on this , Everytime i get out of my Honda city and touch the door handle or sny other metal part of the car, I end up getting a real bad jolt of electricity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Instead, first touch the door with the palm of your hand. The electricity will still flow, but you won't feel it because of the greater surface contact.
What Ginathom said is also very effective, you hit the roof/door with your palm and you won't feel the shock.

Another way is to shift to leather seats from synthetic ones. I don't feel the shock any more in my new car which has leather seats after enduring the jolt for six years in my previous Santro.
Old 7th February 2013, 17:49   #146
Senior - BHPian

Guys need your help on static shocks that I get whenever I drive my Polo.

Every time I get out of the car and go for the door handles I get a nasty shock. Even if a part of my arm touches the metal surface, I get a shock and it hurts real bad. Coincidentally my mom and another friend also get static shocks whenever they sit in my car.

It only happens with my Polo, not with the Octavia, 800 or even my bike. Its so bad, a person who shook hands with me as soon as I got off the car got static shock from me!

Apart from switching to leather seats and touching the handle with the back of my hand any other solutions ?
Old 7th February 2013, 17:56   #147
BHPian

Static shocks are slightly "shocking" but what you describe is something i haven't personally felt. If your seats are leather and you have worn clothing which is slightly fibrous in nature or is synthetic, prolonged rubbing might cause you to accumulate charge on your clothing. The shock you feel is because of a sudden flow of the accumulated charge from your body to the ground through the car. I find this might be a plausible explanation but i am really surprised that a person who shook hands with you got shocked as well. Quite an electrifying personality, eh ?
Old 7th February 2013, 18:37   #148
BHPian

^^ Instead of closing the door touching the handle, I close the door pushing the glass area in winters. Voila, no shock.

It happens to me only during winters and when my skin has become dry. Hence to avoid this, I apply Vaseline on my hands. It seems to have a reduced effect on body charge.
v.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 22:50   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a really clever idea which I never thought of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
...Apart from switching to leather seats and touching the handle with the back of my hand any other solutions ?
Yes! See my post just two before yours. That always worked for me.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 10:00   #150
BHPian

Has anyone ordered this from deal extreme? Would be a fantastic solution if it actually works!

http://dx.com/p/anti-static-static-r...keychain-24031

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks