Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2007, 19:14   #31
Team-BHP Support

use moisturizer, yeah i know galy stuff but it works coz drines aggravates the scene
Old 28th March 2007, 19:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Yes... but... I mostly get charged after I have driven/ get out of the car.
Well yes mostly it happens when you drive car. Also try to sit on NeelKamal Plastic chairs for a long time you will get static Charged...

Well i used to have blanket earlier in which when sometime is used to move i get static charge.. eeeeooooo i am CurrentMAN
Old 28th March 2007, 19:51   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
use moisturizer, yeah i know galy stuff but it works coz drines aggravates the scene
Ummm hello? jaggu? I cannot understand this sentence at all. Are you drinking at 7pm?
Old 28th March 2007, 20:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Translation:
Use moisturizer. Yeah I know its girly stuff but it works because dryness aggravates the problem.
Trust me.. thats one good piece of advice. It was my first winter in Canada and am glad that its over (almost). Was getting scared of touching anything metal. But yes moisturizer helps a lot.
Old 28th March 2007, 20:26   #35
Team-BHP Support

lol not yet, was in between a phone call conversation and a meeting, and yes mohit has done a good translation.

dry skin = more static, so atleast if you can cover ur arms chances of static are less and the electrifying feeling of discharge also

i use a quick touch approach, using fingers mostly on the rubber show beading on the door to operate to be on the safe side
Old 28th March 2007, 20:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

I've found a way around it....when you get off the car, touch the door with the metal end key with you holding the plastic part of the key. Then touch the door and see....no shock! It works everytime for me.

Drifter
Old 28th March 2007, 20:30   #37
Team-BHP Support

what's the problem guys it's good to discharge once in a while. :-)
Old 28th March 2007, 20:33   #38
Senior - BHPian

This static current problem is quite common in cold to very cold conditions and also depends on the type of clothing one wears. I have had this problem throughout winter here in the US and with the onset of spring, things seem to be better. Initially it scared the wits out of me till I got used to it and confirmed that it was normal.

However, the most important thing to observe in this is that one should never get back into the car while refueling. This is due to the fact that gasoline vapours easily get ignited when a static charge is produced when one touches the vehicle door while it is being refueled. Though in India we do not have self-catering fuel stations it is still advisable to take the necessary precautions.

As a matter of fact, I have so far heard about two such bizzare incidents where the vehicle caught fire when it was being refuled just because the driver opened the door while the car was still being refueled. In one of the mishaps, the driver lost his life and the car was completely charred beyond recognition.

So, dear TBHPians, please take care and not only drive safe but also refuel safely.

Last edited by rr_zen : 28th March 2007 at 20:34.
Old 28th March 2007, 21:22   #39
BHPian

this is purely static discharge

due to the fact that car electricals is a self contained circuit, there is no way you will get a shock by touching only a door. (there are surely other ways however wherein you can get a nasty DC shock)

hehehe,... someone to beat this,... i have seen a blue spark once jump from my finger to the metal base of my PC's keyboard holder, leaving a small black dot on my finger. faded in due course.

a static discharge happens everyday and i have even found a way to charge myself and surprise my colleagues

i always wear a thick rubber sole RedTape to increase the effect and the 18 degree cold of my datacentre / server room builds it up better in me.

hey we guys must be careful about this too. bad for electronics.

for those interested in something else that this phenomenon can bring about in rare circumstances,... read about "Spontaneous Human Combustion" hahahaha

Last edited by gbpscars : 28th March 2007 at 21:26.
Old 28th March 2007, 21:39   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
LOL... me too.
The best ever was when a parking guy got a good one with sound effect too.
yes with proper sound .. noticed spark in indoors.. with Alm doors ..

Guys spending most of the time in front of CRT monitors ( not LCDs ) face this problem more frequently..

Last edited by navdeep : 28th March 2007 at 21:41.
Old 29th March 2007, 00:50   #41
Team-BHP Support

Yeah... its happening with lot of people this season. In fact I got screwed out of 50 bucks because of this static business Lol... inspite of knowing about static and dry wether and all. I guess never thought such huge static discharges can be experienced in this country (US, ok I understand).

I started experiencing this a couple of months back for the first time. It started with low intensity shocks. I just waved these off as static. But then things started aggravating to an extent where even my key fob gave me a shock when I was switching the car off. And finally when after driving back home I got down and the door gave a chatttaaakkkk sound with a blue spark leaping out between my finger and the door I was shocked out of my wits. I thought that somehow the central locking wires have have got exposed and have started shorting. Took it to the accessories guy who fitted it. The fitter their did some khat khut... untaped a few wires of the CL console and then again taped them back and said confidently "ho gaya sahaab... 50 rupees please".

It was after that I learnt that somehow lot of people are getting these static jolts this season. haa haaa haaa

I wonder why it is happening only this year!!!
Old 29th March 2007, 01:06   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
what's the problem guys it's good to discharge once in a while. :-)
Gina Wild, Katja Kassin. Both are better than Static Bijli.
Old 29th March 2007, 01:33   #43
Senior - BHPian

Whenever I'm driving a Santro, I usually shocks on my finger tips due to static discharge after the drive and opening the door.But I've never got a shock after driving and opening the door of Palio. The shock is experienced on Santro. If you just touch with your finger, all the static charge flows in a concentrated way through the finger tip and is felt hard. What I do is to spread my palm and press my entire palm on the door/handle once, by increasing the surface area of the contact, I manage to avoid the shock.
Old 29th March 2007, 07:26   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post

I wonder why it is happening only this year!!!
I experiencing this for many years now ..
I touch the glass first and avoid metals for first contact.
Old 29th March 2007, 11:46   #45
BHPian

I get such shocks sometimes when I get out of the car and also when opening a water tap. In both cases, I suspected the worst, that there was short circuit. After reading this thread, now I am relieved. This is very useful information indeed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks