Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2011, 11:43   #121
BHPian

re: Static Electricity Discharge / Shock when touching car's front door

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post

@Karty_83: Do you have seat cover in your car, if yes what type? If you are having none, the chances of static build up is high as the fabric car seat covers from the manufacturers always have high nylon content. Get used to it, or get art/leather seat covers. You can also try holding the door frame while getting out of the car.
Yes, i have fabric seat covers. Another important observation is that, it happens more only on the driver seat. If i may add, may be only on the drivers seat. This kinda puzzles me.
Old 15th February 2011, 12:07   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Yes, i have fabric seat covers. Another important observation is that, it happens more only on the driver seat. If i may add, may be only on the drivers seat. This kinda puzzles me.
It's not more on the drivers seat, it's because you are driving. While driving your body is moving more than when you are a passenger. When ever you use the brake + clutch pedals, your legs are brushing with the fabric and creating a static build up.

One stupid question, is it lesser on weekends? Just observe and let us know.
Old 15th February 2011, 23:16   #123
Senior - BHPian

Also keep in mind that regardless of humidity in air, when you use a heater, it expands the air and the result is less of moisture per given volume, hence much drier air. After suffering for a while I bought a humidifier for home, and life has become very comfortable. Car climate control can suck the moisture out when cooling, does it introduce any when heating? There is no reservoir AFAIK, since I have never filled it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
I always get static jolts during winters and occasionally during summer nights, The best way is that I open doors wide and then Step out, Touch the car body with my backside.

When the space is limited and cannot open doors wide, I just touch the road or ground when I park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Ya..! Lol

Usually the intensity of the static discharge in my case is pretty high, Not only does it make itself audiable but also a proper " Chat " wala Blue spark is visible..!
Has anybody noticed you doing this spark thing with your backside ?
Old 16th February 2011, 00:03   #124

This happens to be very often in my skoda when I get off the car and try closing the door. The best solution i came up with is to get out of the car and kick the door close

The door handle inside the car is metal, but I still get a shock when i get out and try closing the door. I was actually suspecting some electrical grounding problem since it just started a few days back.
Old 16th February 2011, 00:56   #125
BHPian

I was just going crazy because anytime I enter or exit my car I was getting such a hard static that I could simply see the current flowing from my fingers to the car door handle. This is what fixed the problem. It was cheap only $10.
Good bye static
The pictures shows two belts but I am using only one and its doing the job right. Picture source Google.
Attached Thumbnails
Static Electricity Discharge / Shock when touching car's front door-autocarantistaticstrapearthbeltgroundwirenew_150551543566.jpg  

Old 16th February 2011, 10:30   #126
Senior - BHPian

My solution

I have some how found my own solution for this.
Since this shock was relatively new to me I just went backward knowing what was the new in me and my swift.
With deep thinking I came to know that I was wearing a new gold chain which was coupled with the below one.
Name:  untitled.bmp
Views: 1228
Size:  58.7 KB
This is made of Brass and this did some problems to me past few days.Initially also I was wearing this but that was not with gold chain but with a ordinary small red rope. With removing this I am feeling little comfortable but still little scary while touching door
Old 16th February 2011, 13:11   #127
Senior - BHPian

What the 'Fuel tanker' trucks follow to get rid of static electricity is they simply hang a metal chain from any body part so that this chain touches ground. This must be the simplest method to get rid of it.
Old 16th February 2011, 13:46   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

People used to do that in 1950s/60s in UK. It was thought that the static charge caused travel sickness.
Old 16th February 2011, 15:18   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
What the 'Fuel tanker' trucks follow to get rid of static electricity is they simply hang a metal chain from any body part so that this chain touches ground. This must be the simplest method to get rid of it.
We all know that plastic or rubber is a bad conductor of electricity.So, if you can get some aesthetic looking rubber grips or strips that accent with the door handles, then it should do away with this problem. Anybody who knows about such accesspories please post with the details
Old 16th February 2011, 20:24   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prats View Post
We all know that plastic or rubber is a bad conductor of electricity.So, if you can get some aesthetic looking rubber grips or strips that accent with the door handles, then it should do away with this problem. Anybody who knows about such accesspories please post with the details
static electricity doesn't need conductivity. in fact, conductors dissipate static, e.g. the metal chain discussed earlier.

Metal chain will not help in this case because in all probability the cushion is still insulated from car body and might very easily build static charge.
Old 16th February 2011, 20:42   #131
Senior - BHPian

After i placed wooden beads on my car seat, i dont have problem with statics now. Earlier statics used to hit me like anything when i touch the door without touching other things.
Old 17th February 2011, 01:06   #132
Senior - BHPian

Re: Severe back pain and driving!

I had never experienced static till I moved to Hyderabad, as I'd always lived in coastal areas before.

But surprisingly, I get it only when I close the WagonR's door, and not the Fiesta's. Perhaps the leather upholstery in the Fiesta could have been my saviour. I've learnt to close the Waggie's door in winter by pushing the window glass, and avoiding contact with the metal portion of the car.

While on this topic, when i visited Washington DC last winter, I suffered sevaral static shocks while touching my laptop or taps in my apartment. I learnt later not to wear Hawaii sandals in the apartment.

On this visit, I did get it only twice so far, and I suspect the long journey in my pal's Honday Odyssey could have been the cause, coupled with my Woodland All Weather Shoes.
Old 17th February 2011, 01:26   #133
Senior - BHPian

Re: Severe back pain and driving!

The air is quite dry in Bangalore this time of the year and the shock treatment is common.

+1 to ghodlur's suggestions!
Old 19th February 2011, 12:51   #134

off topic (but fun)
1. Sit in a plastic chair wearing shoes and woolen sweater.(and hold hand in air,don`t touch anything)

2. Ask someone else to hit the chair with towel around 20 times.

3. Then touch someone and poof!! Static shock with a proper spark more prominent in dark though.

Experiment with different shoes and coin in mouth(between lips)
Old 20th February 2011, 14:33   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post

One stupid question, is it lesser on weekends? Just observe and let us know.
Well i faced all of it on weekends.
On a brighter note no more shocks as of now and it is a welcome change . Wonder if it has anything to do with the weather off late.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks