Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2013, 00:09   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Static Electricity Discharge / Shock when touching car's front door

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Guys need your help on static shocks that I get whenever I drive my Polo.

Every time I get out of the car and go for the door handles I get a nasty shock. Even if a part of my arm touches the metal surface, I get a shock and it hurts real bad. Coincidentally my mom and another friend also get static shocks whenever they sit in my car.

It only happens with my Polo, not with the Octavia, 800 or even my bike. Its so bad, a person who shook hands with me as soon as I got off the car got static shock from me!

Apart from switching to leather seats and touching the handle with the back of my hand any other solutions ?
Funny you say that because I've felt the same phenomenon in a VW Golf in the UK. With the same winter jackets on a Opel Astra or a Ford Focus never gave me the static shock! I was surprised that only the Golf gave me the shock 8 out of 10 times! Is this something unique to Volkswagen? I'm curious!
Old 11th February 2013, 01:54   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is this something unique to Volkswagen? I'm curious!
My UK Rover 620 was a big shocker!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2013, 21:23   #153
Senior - BHPian

Glad that I found this thread. I am having a similar experience with my i20. I guess its because of winter but I did not face this issue last year. However, I have fabric seats. It really is irritating at times.
Old 28th November 2013, 00:11   #154
BHPian

Hi Friends,

I purchased a Honda Amaze S iDtech a week back. I haven't put any accessory except a velvet seat cover. No electrical part has been fiddled so far. Still then I get a mild electric shock when I get down from either side of the front seats and touch the either of the front doors to close. importantly, I get the shock with a click sound. I have noticed that I get this shock when I get down after a brief driving of let say 5-10 kms (I haven't checked it for more distance) but in less distance travel I don't get it. Today in the morning i got it even through the sleeves of my t-shirt.

I wonder what might be the reason and how do I get rid of this.

I request experts to guide me in this.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.
Old 28th November 2013, 10:21   #155
Senior - BHPian

I had this problem of static shocks with my Honda city, but went off completely after i put "Seat wooden beads", never experienced any shock in 3 years. Earlier i used to get static shock almost daily

Other solution was when you are getting up from seat touch some metal part of the door and get down. You wont experience static shock.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 10:40   #156
Senior - BHPian

Static electricity is built up when your butt rubs against the seat while getting down. Hold the edge of the door before you begin the process of getting down. That will solve the problem.
hondadude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 15:22   #157
Senior - BHPian

Not restricted to any one car unfortunately , can happen with any vehicle. It has nothing to do with automobiles at all but general physics and thus can happen anytime anywhere , car or no car.

Static electricity is produced when two materials rub against each other, causing a build up of electrical charges.

All materials are made up of negatively- and positively-charged particles. These usually exist in equal amounts, balancing each other out.

But when two materials come into contact, one may ‘steal’ negatively-charged electrons from the other. The result? One material ends up with more negative charges than positive ones, meaning that it becomes negatively-charged overall, whilst the other becomes positively-charged. If the charges cannot move away as they are produced, they accumulate in the material as static charge, or electricity

Its also written that one should hold the door frame (towards the roof) for a few seconds before getting out.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 15:09   #158
BHPian

Well its different in my case.

I always hear the click sounds when dusting my car's rear bumper. That's the only part of the car where static builds up.
Old 17th March 2017, 13:38   #159
BHPian

Hi,

Posting here since I have been facing this issue for several years now. First in our Alto and now in New Figo as well. Has happened even when I am sitting in other cars as well. Apart from cars I also get static shocks when i sit in the office chairs or the plastic chairs.

What I do now is touch the ground with my toes if I am wearing floaters or touch a wall nearby. Close the doors using the door handles or by forcing it close using the windows. Now, I also noticed that while alighting from the car, just touch the door frame with your clothes (normally I do it with shirt sleeves) there will be a static discharge sound and atmost you will feel a pinching sensation. This is much easier and now a part of my routine while alighting from a car.

PS: Just realized that this post comes exactly after one year of the previous post
scwagh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 07:25   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

I get a bad shock while closing the door after getting off my Jimny (all stock). Doesn't happen with my other cars - must be due to the fabric seats on this car. Last night, I was holding my phone in my hand while closing the door, the shock made me withdraw my hand too rapidly and the phone flew off from my hand

I understand I can avoid the shock by holding the metal door before getting out, etc. but one tends to be forgetful and can't be bothered about any special exit rituals. I also don't want to replace the fabric seats if I can help it.

Will hanging a metal chain/strap from the chassis to touch the ground solve this issue?
Old 20th February 2024, 10:43   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Will hanging a metal chain/strap from the chassis to touch the ground solve this issue?
And have that dragging along every time you'd be driving the vehicle??

Sir, it's just physics & nothing to do with vehicle. It's the synthetic fabric on the seat rubbing against your cotton or other fabrics creating the static. Add the dry weather to it - perfect recipe.

Solutions:

1) The door frame method
2) Fabric change method
3) Wait out for the first rains method
4) Enjoy while it lasts method
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 11:31   #162
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

Try using your knuckles to close the door or at least touch it before fingers touch the metal.
Old 20th February 2024, 21:47   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Try using your knuckles
I prefer the palm of the hand method.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 22:54   #164
Team-BHP Support

I'm very static prone, in general. Sometimes even just tootling around the house or in public, I'll brush past someone and they go up in a yelp.

I just touch the ground when getting out of a car (and occasionally when out & about), or give someone a jolt and say I'm electrifying
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 05:27   #165
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I am very much fully-charged, like the picture.
Static Electricity Discharge / Shock when touching car's front door-img_5697.jpeg
So what I do is either touch the surface with my clothes or the edge of my mobile phone rubberised case or something like that, first or with my knuckles alone, before attempting to increase surface contact.
Static Electricity or Atmospheric Charge seems to happen much more in the dry months of the year.
Static Electricity Discharge / Shock when touching car's front door-img_5794.jpeg
But the above outlined steps seem to work, for me at least.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 21st February 2024 at 05:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks