Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2011, 15:02   #106
BHPian

Re: Severe back pain and driving!

try changing socks to 100 % actual cotton socks. it worked for me (At one moment of time i used to be afraid in touching anything while coming our of car)
Old 14th February 2011, 12:21   #107
Team-BHP Support

re: Static Electricity Discharge / Shock when touching car's front door

karty_83,

Have you recently bought some new shirts / jacket, or got new car seat covers etc?

(Also assuming you are in bangalore - correct?)

cya
R
Old 14th February 2011, 12:33   #108
Senior - BHPian

this was my reply to Karthik's PM. just for your information.

Quote:
Hi Karthik

I remember facing this issue when we had our M800 Type 2. It happened randomly and was not regular.

well it depends on the weather, type of clothes you wear and the steering wheel cover (if any).

infact i don't know if you have noticed - if you try to take off your sweater - you will find static discharges (see the sparks in a dark room) & again when you comb your hair - you will find static discharges.

What you can do is - rub the window pane with your hand before opening the door - you will avoid it.

Hope this helps

Regards

Surya.
Old 14th February 2011, 12:47   #109
Senior - BHPian

Static electricity occurences generally happen more in places like Bangalore where it is cold and during winters in places like Delhi NCR.

It depends a lot on what you wear or touch. Woolens cause a lot of static build up, matt finish surfaces (I get it from my company laptop as it is a grainy matt finish dell and after that any metal object i touch, gives me a jolt).

It also has to do with the material on the steering. I get it more when driving my beat, as it does not have any steering cover, but not so much when i drive my sedan which has a good cover
Old 14th February 2011, 13:13   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

This used to happen to me all the time in London, but I don't think it ever happens here in Chennai. Probably, the difference may be that I am walking barefoot on ceramic/concrete, so my body is grounded and does not get the chance to build up much charge. Remember that the charge may well be flowing from us to the car as the other way around: it will feel the same either way.

Certainly it is not harmful, but it is irritating. My technique in London was to touch the car door with the flat palm of my hand. That way, the charge can be dissipated without being concentrated into the point made by fingertips, and we do not feel it.
Old 14th February 2011, 13:32   #111
Senior - BHPian

I belong to the group who has major static charge issues.
I faced it all the time when I was in Goa and now in Pune too!! So I wont blame it on climate or the type of clothes I wear.

I always make it a point to hold my cars keys before getting in and out of my car and also before touching any metal like metal door/window frame.

Last edited by HammerHead : 14th February 2011 at 13:40.
Old 14th February 2011, 13:57   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Static electricity occurences generally happen more in places like Bangalore where it is cold and during winters in places like Delhi NCR. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This used to happen to me all the time in London, but I don't think it ever happens here in Chennai. ...
Humidity dissipates static charge! It wouldn't ever happen in coastal towns.

The average humidity in Bangalore was 14% in winter this time. Same with Delhi, I guess. Like @karty_83, even I was getting to be wary of touching metal while exiting the vehicle!
Old 14th February 2011, 14:18   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I used to get static shocks on my hands when I touch door-knobs, car doors, shake hands with some people.... you name it.

But not anymore, ever since I moved to Kerala! The humid air here just doesn't allow statics to be developed anywhere!

Now I understood how I get static shocks on the same car when I go to Thane, which behaves normal at my place (Shivaji park to be precise).
But I am kind of puzzled now, as the geographical distance is not even 30kms.
Old 14th February 2011, 14:42   #114
Senior - BHPian

Nature works in funny ways, @sidms. Forget 30Km. When it rains in Bangalore, more often than not it rains in one colony and doesn't in the adjacent one!!! One feels foolish driving in a fully wet car into a bone-dry area within 2Km.

The difference is in what effect the ground topology has on air currents. So, it is quite likely that the humid coastal air of Mumbai does not reach Thane at all.
Old 14th February 2011, 15:32   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
karty_83,
Have you recently bought some new shirts / jacket, or got new car seat covers etc?
(Also assuming you are in bangalore - correct?)
cya
R
Yes, i am from Bangalore and no i haven't bought any new shirts nor have i got my seat covers done.
I am facing this problem from about a week now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
this was my reply to Karthik's PM. just for your information.
I haven't faced it with my sweaters, but certainly have with one of the blankets i have at home. Can see sparks in a dark room. But they are definitely manageable. The ones i am getting off late from my car are nasty ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

The average humidity in Bangalore was 14% in winter this time. Same with Delhi, I guess. Like @karty_83, even I was getting to be wary of touching metal while exiting the vehicle!
Very true. Last night i got out of my car and closed the door by pushing the glass. Then, as soon as i touched the metal gate, whack !! The trick worked for the car, but failed outside.

While googling for a solution i just came across something called "Anti static car antenna". Has anyone heard about these ? Do they really work ? I have attached a couple of pics below
Attached Thumbnails
Static Electricity Discharge / Shock when touching car's front door-1.jpg  

Static Electricity Discharge / Shock when touching car's front door-2.jpg  

Old 14th February 2011, 15:36   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

The average humidity in Bangalore was 14% in winter this time...
Well, Chennai certainly has plenty of that. At 14% I think my skin would be drying up and falling off
Quote:
I haven't faced it with my sweaters, but certainly have with one of the blankets i have at home. Can see sparks in a dark room.
This reminds me of a white, synthetic pullover I had as a child. I would turn off the light before taking it off, so I could enjoy the mass of green sparks!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 14th February 2011 at 15:38.
Old 14th February 2011, 15:40   #117
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

this is normal in places which have a dry/ continental type of climate and where the humidity is very low indeed.
Bangalore, Ooty, Delhi etc for instance.

it does not happen in coastal areas on account of the high humidity factor.

I face this usually between December and March/April when it is absolutely as dry as a bone - it usually happens to me while getting into the car, sometimes at office, sometimes while operating the DVD/ TV at home and other instances like this.

While getting into the car what I try to do is to touch the glass first and then the door handle (plastic) without touching the metal of the door. this usually works for me.

It is quite disconcerting to hear that "crack" like lightning and see sparks sometimes and of course to feel the shock on one's hand. irritating but there's really no go so might as well accept it and take some preventive steps when possible.
Old 14th February 2011, 16:49   #118
BHPian

Getting it for past 8 years, mostly from corollas. I also get it from my GT, especially when I am wearing cloths with high artificial fiber content (polyester, nylon). Cotton cloths are the safest bet, as it wont build up any static.

@Karty_83: Do you have seat cover in your car, if yes what type? If you are having none, the chances of static build up is high as the fabric car seat covers from the manufacturers always have high nylon content. Get used to it, or get art/leather seat covers. You can also try holding the door frame while getting out of the car.

Last edited by jaguar.runs : 14th February 2011 at 16:50.
Old 15th February 2011, 08:22   #119
Senior - BHPian

I had mentioned a few suggestion in another thread where the statis electricity issue was discussed. Pls find the link to the post.

Hope this helps.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/collec...ml#post2240841
Old 15th February 2011, 11:37   #120
BHPian

Re: Severe back pain and driving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
I tried that.But the problem continues.
Later when I open my grill gate I sense it there instead of it in car.
Very true. I am having the same problem from the past 1 week or so. Even if i find a way out to avoid these shocks while i get out of the car, i invariably get them as soon as i touch the gate or any metal for that matter. Very annoying !
There is another thread discussing the same. May be you should look up to it as well.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...nt-door-8.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks