Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2006, 01:25   #106
jat
BHPian

Miss-Under-Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps
We know that the manufacturers de-tune their engines for India. But i doubt they also change the components in the drive-train because of higher costs involved. Thus, the clutch and other components should be able to cope with more torque than the indian engine is able to deliver...under normal conditions. One instance is for example the hgiher torque figures that Pete's powerbox leads to. The stock clutch assembly can tolerate it, right. So then the stock clutch should also be able deal with any excess torque that may result from a malfunctioning ECU.

Hope you understood what i am trying to say
Aah, now I understand. I think you got me wrong.

I am also saying the same thing. I have mentioned that until and unless he has really overloaded the car beyond the safe desingn limits ( a dozen overweight guys translates to 1-1/2 tons or may be more, but what I meant very heavy overload and not a 10 or 50% type), the clutch cannot get damaged. So the delear guys cannot blame karthik (except when he has been driving always on half-clutch).

RK.
Old 27th January 2006, 01:33   #107
Senior - BHPian

The prob is only when u need a sudden pickup irrespective of which gear ur in. It does not respond at lower rpm or speed like it used to. It takes sometime to get the pickup or speed, but the car can rev without any probs right upto the redline in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears. Its' also able to do 140kmph in 4th at arnd 3500rpm i think. The problem is only with the pickup and due to this driving in the city or overtaking has become a pain.

And the turbo whistle was there at 2000rpm. I just managed to check it while in 3rd gear, cuz in the lower gears the engine is a bit noisy and so its a bit hard to hear and also because of the traffic
Old 27th January 2006, 01:48   #108
jat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
The prob is only when u need a sudden pickup irrespective of which gear ur in. It does not respond at lower rpm or speed like it used to. It takes sometime to get the pickup or speed, but the car can rev without any probs right upto the redline in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears. Its' also able to do 140kmph in 4th at arnd 3500rpm i think. The problem is only with the pickup and due to this driving in the city or overtaking has become a pain.

And the turbo whistle was there at 2000rpm. I just managed to check it while in 3rd gear, cuz in the lower gears the engine is a bit noisy and so its a bit hard to hear and also because of the traffic
So you are doing say 1500 rpm and then press the pedal full. The car rpm shoots up but the car speed doesn't. Right? This boils down to clutch problem. Engine part seems OK.

RK
Old 27th January 2006, 12:11   #109
Senior - BHPian

The rpm also takes a bit time too go up, and so pickup is less.
Old 27th January 2006, 12:39   #110
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The prob is only when u need a sudden pickup irrespective of which gear ur in. It does not respond at lower rpm or speed like it used to. It takes sometime to get the pickup or speed, but the car can rev without any probs
Probably a case of Turbo lag? Why not try driving another TDi?

GTO
Old 27th January 2006, 12:48   #111
snoopy41

Does not installing petes tuning box invalidate the warranty automatically since the components are probably not designed to handle that extra power,,
but a malfunctioning ECU giving rise to more TORQUE,,first am hearing something like that ,,is it possible

Old 27th January 2006, 12:58   #112
Senior - BHPian

They had removed the turbo to check if it was causing any prob when they checked the car for the first time. Maybe something could have gone wrong then..But the turbo is working, thats for sure.

Guys the turbo can be repaired right? And how would u correct the turbo lag?
Old 27th January 2006, 13:01   #113
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, Karthik didnt have the powerbox installed. Secondly, the box is removable without a trace. And finally, i doubt that there are any components in the drive-train that cannot deal with the extra power/torque.
Old 28th January 2006, 00:53   #114
jat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy41
Does not installing petes tuning box invalidate the warranty automatically since the components are probably not designed to handle that extra power,,
but a malfunctioning ECU giving rise to more TORQUE,,first am hearing something like that ,,is it possible
Just think of change in fuel injection timings or change in total duration of fuel injection period or if air flow is OK and fuel is supplied in excess (cause of too much smoke) or sticking fuel pump or fuel injector or fuel pressure being maintained at higher pressure due to failure or fuel pressure regulator (for common rail) etc. All this and some other can give rise to quite a good amount of torque.

Quote:
They had removed the turbo to check if it was causing any prob when they checked the car for the first time. Maybe something could have gone wrong then..But the turbo is working, thats for sure.

Guys the turbo can be repaired right? And how would u correct the turbo lag?
So it is one engine side. That means we have too many variables to work on. It can be any thing that is one of the sensors or ECU or any of the fuel nozzles blocked or turbo itself. That a person on the spot can diagnose the problem exactly. Since ECU has been replaced, it could be the new ECU (is it brand new or replaced from some another car). That is just a guesswork.

If you can get hold of another car and drive and compare, then may be you yourself will be able to pinpoint.

RK.
Old 28th January 2006, 06:49   #115
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday i took the car to another reputated garage, whose owner happens to be a good family friend and tested the car. This guy is very experienced and works on Mercs, BMW's, Cadillac's so this should be a cake walk for him
Anyway he checked the car and said that the clutch is absolutely fine. But the thing was that the turbo was only kickin in late at arnd 2000rpm and thats causing the lack of power in lower rpm's. He said that a 'map' or sumtin which controlled the turbo's timing might have to be replaced and can cost a bit too much. So he called the Skoda manager (Cochin) and talked to him abt the problem and the guys here not being able to fix it. So hopefully i'll be taking the car along with him to the Skoda workshop today and get the whole thing figured out under warranty.

And like i said my warranty expired last week. But this prob started on Jan 1st week i think. So i can demand warranty right cuz they didn't fix it at that time.?? :(

Last edited by karthik247 : 28th January 2006 at 06:52.
Old 28th January 2006, 17:37   #116
Senior - BHPian

ok, so today took the car to the Skoda garage, and made them check the whole car. Now today they cleaned the EGR. Took a while for that to finish and then went for a drive. The car was a bit more responsive than before but felt sluggish after driving my friends Octavia. But surprisingly this time, the didn't even mention a word abt the clutch!!

Now i called up the HQ in Kerala which is in Cochin and they asked me to get the car there or wait till 2nd Feb so that the manager will come to TVM and run a check up.

If anyone know any other place where i can get all this cleared in Kerala do let me know. I'm very pissed with "MARIKAR MOTORS" right now cuz they assured me that the car would be in perfect conditon and made me wait from 9:30am till arnd 5pm just to end up with the same thing. Now the last thing m gonna do is wait till 2nd Feb and see what goes on...
Old 28th January 2006, 18:18   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ok, so today took the car to the Skoda garage, and made them check the whole car. Now today they cleaned the EGR. Took a while for that to finish and then went for a drive. The car was a bit more responsive than before but felt sluggish after driving my friends Octavia. But surprisingly this time, the didn't even mention a word abt the clutch!!

Now i called up the HQ in Kerala which is in Cochin and they asked me to get the car there or wait till 2nd Feb so that the manager will come to TVM and run a check up.

If anyone know any other place where i can get all this cleared in Kerala do let me know. I'm very pissed with "MARIKAR MOTORS" right now cuz they assured me that the car would be in perfect conditon and made me wait from 9:30am till arnd 5pm just to end up with the same thing. Now the last thing m gonna do is wait till 2nd Feb and see what goes on...
Please make sure the manager knows all about how they diagnosed the problem by taking the engine out of the car. These monkeys should pay for their rather amateur problem solving methods.
Old 29th January 2006, 01:17   #118
jat
BHPian

Now it seems that those guys are going on right track. And as the failure has occured before the expiry of warranty, they have to bear all the cost and they should apologise for creating inconvenience to you.

Hope to hear from you very soon with a nicely performing car
Old 30th January 2006, 19:39   #119
BHPian

Quote:
So you are doing say 1500 rpm and then press the pedal full. The car rpm shoots up but the car speed doesn't. Right? This boils down to clutch problem. Engine part seems OK.
Haven't read the OP but if thats your problem - your clutch may be fried - I had a similar problem in my baleno with the revs shooting up and but the power not being transmitted to the wheels till I let off the throttle a bit...

It was present from day one and when I asked Rohan Motors about this they just said 'the clutch needs adjustment' - they tried it - nothing changed - and a few months later i had to get the clutchplate changed at Motorcraft.

I tried explaining that this was present in my baleno since the day i got it but they just had the standard excuse 'clutch problems arent covered in the warranty, even if you bring it in a day later' .... :(

They kept asking me if i was riding the clutch or drove the car with the handbrake on (somehow i couldnt figure out the handbrake connection) but I had to insist that I'd been driving my esteem for 6 years and 70 K kms and never had any problem...still -i had to pay for a new clutchplate

zaphod
Old 30th January 2006, 21:25   #120
Senior - BHPian

So finally some good news. Got my driver to take the car to the Skoda workshop and demanded them to repair the car completely and change whatever is necessary to get the old performace. So after a few calls to Cochin and here, finally got the car back today evening. Its running absolutely fine now, without any probs or hassels.

Now i'll have to go to their place and find out what all they replaced and what they repaired. Also will have to find out if its done under warranty or would i have to pay for it.

Anyway, it feels really nice to get the car back in proper condition after running to their place for maybe 3weeks. And thanks guys for all your support and suggestions and advice on what to/not to do.

Will let u know abt the parts replaced and the cost as soon as i get to know it.

Thanks again!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks