Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2011, 13:12   #1246
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
So what is the waiting period like on the New Verna? Still hovering around 3 months? Any news about the diesel AT waiting period?
Booked verna diesel A/t on may 20th, still pending status. now i hear that the diesel a/t engines should come from korea but there is a hyundai union strike hence the delay.
Old 28th August 2011, 23:07   #1247
BHPian

Even after booking of a Verna 1.6 CRDI SX on 01/06/2011, I have posted a new thread for help of the experts on "advise for a driver's car" with my preferences detailed there in. I have received few responses & I opened the thread with much interest & curosity. But I could not read any of the comments of team BHPians ( whom I respect most) & the error shown is :

invalid thread specified, if you followed valid thread , please specify the administator ( a link provided).

I had entered atleast 7/8 times in that link, but yet to get any response from team BHP.

Though out of place I would like to post I had made in the new thread:

Hi BHPians,

Need to purchase a car round about a budget of 10 L OTR. My annual usage will be approx 10K. & will keep the car for 7/8 years. Though, it is not making any economic sense, I would like to buy a diesel for the sheer torque advantage, which for me , translates into more driving pleasure (correct me, if I am wrong). I also feel, performance of diesels can be increased with relative ease with a tuning box. Both sedan & hatch will do for me.
In short I am open for diesel/petrol/sedan/hatch.

My priorities in order of my preference are:

1. Least noise in side the cabin both at idle & while on the move. Minimum engine, road & wind noise should creep into the cabin at highway crusing speeds ( say @ 120-130 kmph)

2. Fun to drive with light controls & confidence at speeds.

3. Powerful A.C.

4. Satisfactory top end capabilities - eg. the car should not struggle or protest if pushed to say 150 kmph from 120 kmph. I feel most cars of today move upto & hold 120 kmph quite easily and after that they begin to struggle.

5. Good ground clearance.

6. Ease of maintenance.

I have test driven the following cars.

Etios, Vento- Diesel, Verna Fludic- Petrol.( diesel not available for TD) , old Swift- diesel, Honda City, Honda Jazz., Chevy Magnum- diesel, SX4 diesel.

I have booked both Verna Fludic CRDI 1.6 Sx and New Swift ZDI. Delivery will be due this month end/ early next month.

Since I am getting many adverse remarks about Verna especially about it's below average dynamics at speeds, soft rear suspension & poor GC, I am worried. Swift Diesel lacks in my priority list serial no.- 1 & 4.

Which car would be the best compromise ?

Will the top end of new Swift petrol ( which I feel is a constraint) be better due to VVT technology?

Suggestion for any other car within my budget???

I was in other threads but am still undecided. Since I stay at 250 km. away from Bhubaneswar ( where the car showrooms are), it is not easy for me to take frequent TDs.

Help me out

Cheers

Can you please help & suggest me one among the following cars:

1. New Verna 1.6 CRDI
2. i-20 CRDI ( the AC problem seem to have been solved by Hyundai)
3. New Swift DDIS

Trust no one suggest me to start a new thread, as my effort has gone in vain.

Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 11:25   #1248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
I find it surprising. I mean, surprising as to how much people are willing to give up on the basic things for something that looks good! And this is not only in the Fluidic. Is there in the much higher priced Cruze as well. Expect it'll be the same in the Nissan Sunny, from what I observe in pictures and read. IIRC the width of the Swift in specifications was not too far from the Scorpio (please correct me if I am wrong) and then it is a shock to enter the car and feel the space inside.

But then, when a car sells as well (Fluidic, Cruze, Swift) one thinks that these companies know what they are doing and giving the people what they care for!

Totally agree with you Poitive. Finally I had a chance to see Verna in flesh at Bangalore Auto Expo . I could not get a TD. well i would like to comment on the "MYTHS"

1. Claustrophobic rear: I will never say that the Verna is claustrophobic. In that sense the old and new swift is a pit. Yes the glass area recedes but never making us feel that we are cutt off from the outside world. In fact I felt it gave more of a cabin privacy.

2. Plastic Quality : I saw a fellow bhpian who said it was a shame. I would like to correct that by saying its a shame we Indians cannot a appreciate good work. The interior plastics are really good. Nothing whatsoever to complain about. I have a civic so you know what is my benchmark.

3. Seats and upholstery: The seats should have had tad better thigh support which i believe for a +10L car should not have missed. but I also drive my Alto for about a 100km stretch and find no issue, Verna should be no different. This is a personal comment. Should vary for others. Again the upholstery is not that great

Verdict: Instability at high speeds for me is.... .I am really happy about the interiors and features. From now ,I am even more eager to see my Black Thunder..
Old 29th August 2011, 11:49   #1249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post

Thanks
@Chitta,
The mods have already once removed your posts (and our replies) on the query of yours on this thread itself. If your "What Car" thread too has been removed (as it seems from your search query), check with the mods, possibly your thread was closed as you have already booked your car(s).

In parallel to that, search for the ownership threads for the cars that your are looking to purchase, and probably you could post over there to get responses from the owners on the criteria/features you have listed. Also would suggest you to edit your post to deal with one car at a time; that would help others to give responses accordingly.
Old 29th August 2011, 14:27   #1250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
@Chitta,
The mods have already once removed your posts (and our replies) on the query of yours on this thread itself. If your "What Car" thread too has been removed (as it seems from your search query), check with the mods, possibly your thread was closed as you have already booked your car(s).
@Chitta,

Fluidic not really suitable for high speed driving, though the engine should not have a problem from what I could check.

My experience with the i20 is limited, and this too is not meant to be a drivers car.

Swift, though has better dynamics, you may feel limited with the engine capacity and may not like the levels of refinement.

150kmph is a pretty high speed. You do need a VERY stable and composed car, if you really must travel at such high speeds. Very few roads allow such speeds with any reasonable level of safety.

To add to ninjatalli's suggestion, the 'what-car' thread may be more apt if it included some TD reports as well. Since you have checked as many cars, it would feel right if you shared your observations with the community.

PS: I had brought up the issue about deleted threads on a suitable thread. You may want to add to it. A long post about it is : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2481776

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogweelz View Post
1. Claustrophobic rear: I will never say that the Verna is claustrophobic. In that sense the old and new swift is a pit. Yes the glass area recedes but never making us feel that we are cutt off from the outside world. In fact I felt it gave more of a cabin privacy.
I felt the rear of the Fluidic unacceptably claustrophobic. How we feel about a car also has to do with what we are used to. And having used the Swift may have helped you be comfortable with the rear bench. But well, many such things are personal.

Last edited by Poitive : 29th August 2011 at 14:29.
Old 29th August 2011, 14:37   #1251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
I felt the rear of the Fluidic unacceptably claustrophobic. How we feel about a car also has to do with what we are used to. And having used the Swift may have helped you be comfortable with the rear bench. But well, many such things are personal.
+1 I am used to an Indica for more than seven years now, one of the most spacious hatchbacks in its segment. Also the window line is pretty low, well below your shoulder level which gives you a more airy (roomy) feeling. When I sat in the Fluidic, the first thing that struck me was the comparatively lower seating position & the relatively high window line, which immediately gave me a claustrophobic feeling (though my family who would be most of the times occupying the rear seat did not feel it that way). This also led to the lesser than acceptable under thigh support.

However to each his own, just though of sharing my two cents
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 19:13   #1252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since I am getting many adverse remarks about Verna especially about it's below average dynamics at speeds, soft rear suspension & poor GC, I am worried.
Depends how you drive. So its better you try & emulate your driving style in a TD vehicle & then finalize.

Quote:
Swift Diesel lacks in my priority list serial no.- 1 & 4.
Not really ! A Swift D can easily "cruise" to anything between 140 - 160 kmph. Anything beyond it would need some effort. Also the reviews are positive about better NVH levels which is better than old gen.

Quote:
Which car would be the best compromise ?

Will the top end of new Swift petrol ( which I feel is a constraint) be better due to VVT technology?
Have you tried Optra Mangnum ? Should be good. Or even SX4 for that matter. Petrol Swift also should not disappoint you - Should be good for a 140 kmph top speed.

Quote:
Since I stay at 250 km. away from Bhubaneswar ( where the car showrooms are), it is not easy for me to take frequent TDs.
When you buy a car, please make sure you do the base work well before buying rather than doubting whether you made a wrong choice, later. So please make sure you try & TD vehicles which are available near by and fix appointments for the distant ones, please take multiple TDs back to back on a single day to avoid the hassle of traveling again.

Now another question is whether "you want to take your car for 250 kms for service every time?"

Quote:
Can you please help & suggest me one among the following cars:

1. New Verna 1.6 CRDI
2. i-20 CRDI ( the AC problem seem to have been solved by Hyundai)
3. New Swift DDIS
Out of these, I would pick Swift anyday for better highway manners [if I plan to drive at more then 100 kmph, a lot]

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th August 2011 at 19:15.
Old 29th August 2011, 21:22   #1253
BHPian

@ ninjatalli- how to check with the mods?
@swiftnfurious- I have a Maruti service in my hometown & Hyundai Service at 60 km. Thus both Maruti & Hyundai are easy for me to maintain. All other brands- 150 km. to 250 kms.
Old 29th August 2011, 23:13   #1254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since I stay at 250 km. away from Bhubaneswar
If thats the case then IMO Maruti should be your preference by a mile and the Swift is a fantastic proven car . Please appreciate that an i20 or fluidic is no Santro that parts would be available readily 250km from Bhubaneswar - you should hedge your bets by going for the Swift.
I certainly do not agree with you that Swift does not have top end grunt - it can easily do 3 digits and beyond and is a very quick car. At the band you are considering every car would have road , wind noise filtering in - some would be more , some less but the difference would not be significant. At idle , I understand that the new Swift is not noisy ( like TDi engines of VW)

Last edited by souravc : 29th August 2011 at 23:14.
Old 31st August 2011, 16:44   #1255
BHPian

Hi All!

Finally closed on Verna Fuidic. Received a call from SE just now. My car is in transit & will be delivered to me on 05/09/2011(Monday). My model is 1.6 CRDI SX White. Chasis & engine no. are MALCU41ULBM027317 & D4FBBU992315 respectively. I asked the SE about the VIM no. & he said chasis no. & VIM no. are same. Is he right? Can somebody decipher the VIM no. ( if SE is right) for me? Any predelivery inputs?

I will update my experince once I take delivery of the car.
Old 31st August 2011, 17:56   #1256
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All!

Finally closed on Verna Fuidic. Received a call from SE just now. My car is in transit & will be delivered to me on 05/09/2011(Monday). My model is 1.6 CRDI SX White. Chasis & engine no. are MALCU41ULBM027317 & D4FBBU992315 respectively. I asked the SE about the VIM no. & he said chasis no. & VIM no. are same. Is he right? Can somebody decipher the VIM no. ( if SE is right) for me? Any predelivery inputs?

I will update my experince once I take delivery of the car.
Good to hear this. Congratulations! You seem to be quite lucky in getting such a fast delivery.

As for the VIN, as per this thread Hyundai VIN (chassis no) should be 19 digits which would be under the driver seat - where 10th digit suggests the year of manufacturer, and 19th digit the month (VIN decoding post on the first page of same thread).

Would suggest you to put up a post there & refer to Wildon's help.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 31st August 2011 at 17:58.
Old 31st August 2011, 19:29   #1257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Verna at the rear is definitely claustrophobic. Although I find the coupe like roofline somewhat acceptable, the High window line is not exactly to my taste.

Quote:
2. Plastic Quality : I saw a fellow bhpian who said it was a shame. I would like to correct that by saying its a shame we Indians cannot a appreciate good work. The interior plastics are really good. Nothing whatsoever to complain about. I have a civic so you know what is my benchmark.
Plastic quality is my no means bad. It is as per with Vento if not better in most areas. Design wise I dont like the fake wood. But that has nothing to do with quality.

Quote:
3. Seats and upholstery: The seats should have had tad better thigh support which i believe for a +10L car should not have missed. but I also drive my Alto for about a 100km stretch and find no issue, Verna should be no different. This is a personal comment. Should vary for others. Again the upholstery is not that great
Thigh support at the rear is very limited. I find it pretty annoying. An absolute no-no for the backbenchers.
Old 31st August 2011, 20:26   #1258
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All!

Finally closed on Verna Fuidic. Received a call from SE just now. My car is in transit & will be delivered to me on 05/09/2011(Monday).

I am flabbergasted beyond words on such quick delivery?How many hours(read as days) is your waiting period then?
Old 31st August 2011, 20:43   #1259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am flabbergasted beyond words on such quick delivery?How many hours(read as days) is your waiting period then?
Cog, Chitta had booked the care before.

Quote:
Even after booking of a Verna 1.6 CRDI SX on 01/06/2011, ...
Old 31st August 2011, 22:59   #1260
BHPian

@cog:Waiting period was 3 months & 4 days for the Diesel. Reasonable enough in my opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks